Formula One world championship

mitchy_

Llama calmer
15:17 Interesting news for McLaren fans:

@McLarenF1: Ron Dennis: "Our 2015 livery will change, but I'm not going to say when..."

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
15:17 Interesting news for McLaren fans:

@McLarenF1: Ron Dennis: "Our 2015 livery will change, but I'm not going to say when..."
In other words "The arse raping we've seen from our fans has made us want to change the way the car is painted".
I like the Ferrari but yeah, the choice of the red this year is a bit dull. They actually change the colour each year to use the range available to them, this time around it's pretty piss poor. Put the gold wheels back on it!

mitchy_

Llama calmer
In other words "The arse raping we've seen from our fans has made us want to change the way the car is painted".
I like the Ferrari but yeah, the choice of the red this year is a bit dull. They actually change the colour each year to use the range available to them, this time around it's pretty piss poor. Put the gold wheels back on it!
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117544

McLaren will change the livery of its Formula 1 car, says chief Ron Dennis, but only when big sponsors come in to justify the switch.

The silver, black and red colour scheme that features on the new Honda-powered MP4-30 has been met with a lukewarm reaction from fans - who have complained that it is not enough of a departure from the team's Mercedes days.

Speaking about the matter on the opening day of pre-season testing at Jerez, Dennis explained that he was not willing to embrace a bold change of colours simply for the sake of it.

"We have had the same [discussions about livery] inside the team: all of these people were saying, why don't we make it orange - because that was the old colour of McLaren?" he said.

"Well, I say, 'you just said it - it was the old colour of McLaren. Why the hell do we want to go backwards?'

"So what do you do? Do you create an aesthetically pleasing design? But for what purpose?
erm, Ron... silver is the colour of the 'old' Mercedes McLaren... so technically you are going backwards.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I read elsewhere that the plan for the winter test was to adopt the camouflage scheme invented by the British navy in the war to end all wars (part II) to confuse the Germans.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
For the first time in a long time, I'm not overly excited about the upcoming season. It's safe to say that if I wasn't keen on seeing Ricciardo getting up the front more then I'd probably watch the races after work on Monday evenings and I'd already know the result. I haven't missed a race for over ten years on the "live as can be" telecast and am just not that keen this year. I am very excited for Indycar though, I dare say it'll be watched with more interest than F1 in my household.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
The ferrari looks about 29 million times better than last years
It sure does, that 2014 front end was bloody ugly.
I know they've moved the start time of the Australian race forward but I can't see what time it will start. It was a 5pm start.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Pretty sure its a 4pm start.
Cheers, thanks pal. ;)

It appears as though Marussia may make the grid this year! They won't be under administration from February 20th and still have all their assets so it could happen.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Watched some videos of testing last night, Ferrari on top but I wouldn't read too far into it!

There was footage of Alonso getting real squirrelly through the chicanes, hopefully that's not indicative of the handling of the McLaren!

The cars sounded slightly different, not better, not worse...just different!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
The cars sounded slightly different, not better, not worse...just different!
Still shit. Actually, I was getting a little excited during testing time last year watching the footage and listening to the V6's. I'd hoped they had some bark when we got to hear them in the flesh. Oh boy was I disappointed, they aren't what Formula One should sound like.
On the upside, there's a meeting taking place in the coming days and one of the topic's is 1000+ horsepower. That might make the show a little bit more entertaining and it's surely the most obvious progression for the V6 era.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Still shit. Actually, I was getting a little excited during testing time last year watching the footage and listening to the V6's. I'd hoped they had some bark when we got to hear them in the flesh. Oh boy was I disappointed, they aren't what Formula One should sound like.
On the upside, there's a meeting taking place in the coming days and one of the topic's is 1000+ horsepower. That might make the show a little bit more entertaining and it's surely the most obvious progression for the V6 era.
More horsepower means more noise too ( unless they just increase the energy storage )

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
More horsepower means more noise too ( unless they just increase the energy storage )
I hope so but if the current regulations are anything to go by, the harder they rev, the quieter they are! The cars are at their loudest when they are on in or out laps and only using half the range.