Formula One world championship

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Fuck me, the flat brim oversize hat trend obviously started well before freestyle motocross was invented...............

driftking

Wheel size expert
It can be hard for them but I'm sure they find ways of coping...

;-)
If that doesn't always work just looking at their 7-8 figure contract im sure will. surprisingly from what I have seen vettel was only on about 6mil last season where alonso was up around 35mil.......not that having 6mil to do what you love would be bad :)

Rider15

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Whats the bet the Merc manage to convince the FIA that they should be able to test in the young drivers test?

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Whats the bet the Merc manage to convince the FIA that they should be able to test in the young drivers test?
I read an article referring to this idea earlier. Mercedes claim it would be beneficial for safety.......................... What a load of shit. There exclusion from this test i sthe only punishment they received for a massive rule breach. If they are allowed in to the test then it would be the rule makers basically saying that it is okay to do your own tests and improve your cars out of sight.
F1 needs to stick with the tyres they started the year with.

driftking

Wheel size expert
I read an article referring to this idea earlier. Mercedes claim it would be beneficial for safety.......................... What a load of shit. There exclusion from this test i sthe only punishment they received for a massive rule breach. If they are allowed in to the test then it would be the rule makers basically saying that it is okay to do your own tests and improve your cars out of sight.
FIA is going downhill this season, what was with them leaving the investigation of Force India's Di Resta unsafe release into the path of Vergne. That is a clear in race investigation with a pretty simple outcome.

I also read that the camera man didn't escape with a few bruises as I originally said but he ended up with a broken collarbone and two broken ribs. I find it funny how some articles are claiming, complacency with safety, pit stops count the last thing as a viewer I want is to have the team be forced to slow down pit stops. Short of giving camera men helmets or installing controllable cameras to replace them I cant see how they can improve the safety without hurting the sport or viewing.

Already too much bubble wrap in the world for kids lets not start hurting sport with it.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
why would they slow down pit stops?

camera men are no longer allowed in the pits, only along the wall with photographers. simple solution.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
camera men are no longer allowed in the pits, only along the wall with photographers. simple solution.
It's not a solution, it's a variation. The wandering wheel situation could have still happened to an unaware photographer on the pit wall.
I'm all for people's well being but this accident was the result of someone's fuck up. The assumption is that people shouldn't fuck up therefore accidents won't happen. The pit stops are way too fast in Formula One and that creates this chance of error. It can't be avoided unless a sensor is put onto each wheel nut that signals when it has pulled all the way on and is ready to roll. The Red Bull pit stop on Webber's car was a massive balls up that combined all sorts of waving in split seconds and the car controller reacted to it. Bugger!
It was my understanding that each guy on the camera in the pits had a minder behind him watching for oncoming danger. Seems to have worked well................

Rider15

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Admittedly it has turned into a bigger punishment that what it was initally with the running of the new tyres hich is where I believe Merc may get away with running in it as it is now no longer just a Young Drivers test. , but for the FIA to have any sort of power in the sport they need keep Mercedes from using the test in my view anyway. No doubt Mercedes will be pushing very hard to be allow to run in the test.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
why would they slow down pit stops?

It's amazing that they are allowed in there during the race in the first place. Where else in the world are there mandatory safety uniforms and helmets for the crew in a clearly dangerous workplace yet civilians are allowed to wander around with nothing but a thin cotton shirt for protection?!

willsy01

Eats Squid
It still baffles me how the car controller could have possibly thought it was OK to give the all clear to drop the car......it was plain as day that the guys on that wheel were having trouble.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
It's amazing that they are allowed in there during the race in the first place. Where else in the world are there mandatory safety uniforms and helmets for the crew in a clearly dangerous workplace yet civilians are allowed to wander around with nothing but a thin cotton shirt for protection?!
got me baffled as well. although there was only 6 allowed in the pits at any one time, so presumably you could only kill or injure a small amount of people at once. ;)

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
It still baffles me how the car controller could have possibly thought it was OK to give the all clear to drop the car......it was plain as day that the guys on that wheel were having trouble.
Agreed. Red Bull seem to have trouble keeping the wheel son Webber's car full stop.
Did anyone notice that Mark Webber got perhaps the best race start in the existence of Formula One in Germany? It was a blinder!

Then the wheels fell off.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Agreed. Red Bull seem to have trouble keeping the wheel son Webber's car full stop.
Did anyone notice that Mark Webber got perhaps the best race start in the existence of Formula One in Germany? It was a blinder!

Then the wheels fell off.
i'm pretty sure half my neighbourhood knew how great a start he got, and that he drove around the outside of hamburger on turn 1 with my excitement.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Maybe the release guy is the sabatour for all webbers misfortune. Haha.
Where are all the conspiracy theorist's.

I like the idea of a reader, with all the monitors those cars have why can't they have a gun with a green light to indicate the wheel is on. Albeit the reaction Time for humans to react to lights can be anywhere from 0.25 to 0.5 as a average so pit stops will slow down. But be safer and as its implemented to the whole field it won't hurt the racing.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Yeah. an increase in pit times will affect every team equally so i dont see any issue with clamping down on loose wheels and unsafe releases, besides every time you read the comments on a BBC or Sky Sports F1 story you always get tired old whingers bawling 'bring back refueling'. The extra time in the pit would be just like the old days!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Introduce on board jacks so the driver has to do all the controlling. Or do a Larry Perkins and run the standard five stud Holden hub and have some assurance that getting at least three nuts on will do it. Actually, make the fat pricks get out of the car and nip their own wheel nuts up!
I'd love to see a season where they can only run one set of tyres per race and have those tyres wear to a point that they become something you would have to manage. Mix that with a full fuel load and you could have some very interesting races.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Apparently RBR run a system where the driver has an indicator on his wheel that lights up when he's clear to go. The indicator is only triggered when all 4 wheelmen have hit the button on their gun. Seems whilst the bloke was bashing away at the fucked nut he inadverently pushed the button and gave Webber the all clear to go. I assume that the jack guys get the signal the same way as the driver.

Begs the question though, why is the signal button somewhere that it can be accidently hit?

Gotta agree with POSM though, the cameramen should at the very least be wearing better protective equipment, especially since if they're doing their job right they'll have very little idea of what's going on behind them.

nskz

Likes Dirt
Yeah. an increase in pit times will affect every team equally so i dont see any issue with clamping down on loose wheels and unsafe releases, besides every time you read the comments on a BBC or Sky Sports F1 story you always get tired old whingers bawling 'bring back refueling'. The extra time in the pit would be just like the old days!
When they took away refueling they removed a massive part of the strategy of a race. I loved all the long fuel/short fuel battles, it gave you options if you had bad start etc and you could get out of the shit. I'm with the BBC F1 fans bring it back haha.

They sort of have the same situation at the moment. If you are stuffed you can pit early, hopefully benefit from the undercut/clear air and fast tyres and make some ground back. I still think refueling gives the teams the biggest strategy options though, however I don't ever see it coming back.

driftking

Wheel size expert
When they took away refueling they removed a massive part of the strategy of a race. I loved all the long fuel/short fuel battles, it gave you options if you had bad start etc and you could get out of the shit. I'm with the BBC F1 fans bring it back haha.

They sort of have the same situation at the moment. If you are stuffed you can pit early, hopefully benefit from the undercut/clear air and fast tyres and make some ground back. I still think refueling gives the teams the biggest strategy options though, however I don't ever see it coming back.
I'm on the fence with fueling, I like the idea of bringing more strategy back to f1 and throwing in that unknown of strategy, but at the same time I like the idea of less margin for error with the current set up. I am all for tires though Id like to see manufactures battle it out and give the teams options through the race season of which to use, it wont give any less margin for error but it throws up some good strategy and more variation for drivers to get the car working as good as they can. We surely wouldn't be having this tire debate right now if they had other options they were happy with.