Formula brake piston question

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
My wife informed me that her brakes were worn.
Both bad one pad down to metal no pad left so the brake piston was way out and as I pushed it back in with a lever , some brake fluid leaked out.
Is that normal if it gets pushed out beyond the seal ?
It doesnt seem to continue to leak when I activate the brake lever now ?

stirk

Burner
Thinking about it logically if the piston is past the seal then it'll leak fluid but I think there is more piston in the caliper so running pads to metal would not pop the piston past the seal. Manufacturer would cater for people running pads to bare metal. Did you squeeze the lever without the wheel in place?

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Yeah did squeeze it cos I wanted to see whether it would continue to leak but not on the new pads.
I have never seen a piston so far out as I said there was no brake pad material left .. wondered if the piston was past the seal and therefore could leak .

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yeah did squeeze it cos I wanted to see whether it would continue to leak but not on the new pads.
I have never seen a piston so far out as I said there was no brake pad material left .. wondered if the piston was past the seal and therefore could leak .
They shouldn't leak just from a worn brake pad, I've got 2 sets of formula brakes and never experienced it.

moorey

call me Mia
@rowdyflat i have a set of formula Rx I’m happy to donate you if any use. They came on a bike. Pistons were a bit sticky so I pulled them out and got them moving better.
Handy for spare parts, I only use Shimano. Let me know if you want them.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
In case anyone was losing sleep worrying about this ,it now appears that extreme pad wear can cause the piston to be pushed beyond the seal cos now its working Ok ie no brake fluid on the pads.
Manufacturer would cater for people running pads to bare metal.
Not sure about that.

Flow-Rider

Burner
In case anyone was losing sleep worrying about this ,it now appears that extreme pad wear can cause the piston to be pushed beyond the seal cos now its working Ok ie no brake fluid on the pads.

Not sure about that.
What model formula brake are they ? I've got the TS1 and C1's and it has never happened.