Ford Ranger

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
Hey guys! Im looking at buying a 2007 Ford Ranger (PJ XL Crew Cab High Rider) to cart around my trusty steed.....and my dog! Does anybody have any history/past experiences/knowledge on this particular model? Have heard they may be suspect on clutches. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

downhillar

Likes Dirt
Hey mate, I was researching this same model about a year ago and from memory a few people were having engine trouble of some sort, it might have been the ABS, or the gearbox... Sorry, I know that's a really vague answer but definitely have a google around and see if you can dig up any info on that.

avanti04

Likes Dirt
I was working for a company who has them as pretty much the only car in the fleet. I got talking to one of the mechanics as I was thinking about buying one and he said the 07 prior models as soon as they get to 150,000km everything goes at once sort of deal and there was something else major that would go wrong as well but the 08 onwards got sorted. These were the base model 4x4 dual cabs but they aren't a bad ute to drive. Hope that helps out in some way.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I am a Ford mechanic. I hear about all these gearbox and clutch issues all the time, but only on forums. We just don't see these issues at all. They are pretty bullet proof.
I've only seen one clutch failure and it had been thrashed by a P plater and was just worn out. It was a company car and was really knocked around.
How many km's on it?

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The council round these parts have phased out all the old Toyotas they used to have and are now using Ford Rangers. The 2012 or 2011 models of them. Nice looking ute.
We also have a Ford Courier out on the farm as a paddock basher. It hasn't seen a service in quite a number of years but is still going strong (minus some panels and quite a noticeable knocking noise whenever you turn).

Ivan

Eats Squid
Considering the way the 2.5L ranger delivers its power, it doesn't surprise me if clutch abuse is common.

rb baby

Likes Dirt
Dual mass flywheel/clutch set ups are an issue in that class of vehicle, they don't handle towing/load very well and before anybody says thrashing causes it, then it's not that simple I have seen two destroyed clutches from same Ranger in less than 50,000km, the first let go on a pensioner towing a caravan around Australia the second was my best mate that bought one with 33,000km on clock had it for a about 3 weeks hooked up camper trailer one weekend and started to slip on way home we also know the history of the vehicle and it was also not thrashed.
And read multiple story's, yes mainly on forums but also a letter of complaint ( by another retiree ) that was published in the Motoring Section of the Sunday Times here in WA stating his clutch packed it in at around 30,000km's as well !

They produce awesome power and are a lot of fun especially on the beach but for what ever reason and I am not a mechnik or ginger beer but they just don't seem to be up to the task.

Besides that I think they are a great ute.

But your best to google and ask around ( like you are doing) and make up your own opinion but remember clutches are not covered by warranty because its usually deemed as "fair wear and tear" but I believe that if a vehicle in this day and age can't survive on its factory fitted clutch to say 100,000km or length of the warranty then it's clearly not suited to the application and should be covered and replaced, period !

dj3

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just put a quality steel flywheel and exedy clutch in it when/if it lets go, I own a Holden Rodeo, and I like to think i would rather drive it the way it is meant to be driven and replace parts, instead of worrying about breaking somthing. :)

although i would presume you would be in for a hard time with a standard flywheel on a diesel, there may be aftermarket dual mass setups avaliable to keep it doing its intended job.

Last edited:

MATTY R

Likes Dirt
I bought a bt50 new in 2008 ( same as the ranger )

Sold it recently with 145000ks. Never had a problem with it.

They are a great ute.

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
Thanks for all the feedback fellas! Think i will steer clear of the Ranger,seems too big of a risk to me. Might start sniffing around the Hi-Lux 4x2....similar coin but bullet proof i hear.