For the cow puss drinkers.

moorey

call me Mia
So, you think that people who eat meat, knowing what it was before it ended up magically on their plate, are likely to care that a few cute calves suffered along the way?

People are intentionally in denial about such matters, and videos like this, no matter how cute, won't cause them to think twice or change their lifestyle.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I like everyone else don't have enough time to think. I just posted it cause I saw it, and I could, if it stopped one person drinking milk then cool. Just think people should know stuff about stuff. I'm sure the video is dramatized, but even if half true it's pretty lame.
On the topic, I saw another vid ones of a guy giving a talk about milk, saying it gives us a small opiate hit, and in short, we're all junkies. The hit is meant to retard calves so they don't wander n stuff. Also heard it actually leaches calcium from our bones trying to break it down. Jut what I heard, not saying it's fact. Interesting but.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
Do you drink milk? Are you a vegan?
Just wondering how profound an effect it had on you, or did it just give you pause for thought?
Not having a go, mate, just interested. :ear:

No Skid Marks

I dig animals. I only have cow milk in Coffee, just can't handle soy in it.
I try to only eat roo and fish. Like I tried to say, I didn't post it to preach, just thought it may be of interest to some.

moorey

call me Mia
I try to only eat roo and fish. Like I tried to say, I didn't post it to preach, just thought it may be of interest to some.
Provocative title if your weren't trying to preach, particularly if you consume dairy (as opposed to just having milk in your coffee.....most chocolate, cheese etc?)
You try to only eat roo and fish, but dig animals. I don't understand where the line is, but if you don't see one, or dont want to elaborate, cool, mate, do your thing.
I'm all for spreading the cruelty free lifestyle, but you have to practice what you preach. Do me one thing please. If you're not already familiar with 'cognitive dissonance', google it an have a read.......serenity now.....:very_drunk:

moorey

call me Mia
You're making a big assumption there about 2 things. A: the accuracy and inpartiality of that Information, and B:, that vegans aren't aware of such things, and are able to either avoid or substitute.

Feel free to eat, drink and live how you want mate, but why do you feel the need to attempt to mock and trivialize how others choose to try to live their lives. :whip:

NCR600

Likes Dirt
Just slightly off topic, do you have good source for cheap roo meat? My partner and I are trying to only eat ethical and sustainable meat and it's bloody expensive when roo filet is 17 bucks a kilo from evil Coles and I can get a whole beef rump from the wholsesale butcher for 6 bucks a kilo. Bloody rabbits are just as expensive!

I'd love to be able to go bush with one of my rifles once a month and come back with a brace of rabbits, a goat, deer or pig, but it's just not feasible for me right now.

I'm pretty bloody suss about the whole fishing/seafood industry too. Pretty much none of it is sustainable, unless it's farmed, which tastes like crap, and brings it's own prblems to the table (so to speak)

Arete

Likes Dirt
Feel free to eat, drink and live how you want mate, but why do you feel the need to attempt to mock and trivialize how others choose to try to live their lives. :whip:
Glad to hear the sense of humorectomy was a complete success... did you notice the title of the thread? The supposed "mocking" of people's eating decisions might not be 100% serious.

That said, I do find the notion that, given 90% of the cells and 10% of the bodyweight of a human is actually symbionts, everything we eat has similarly complex and profound symbiotic and ecological connectivity, that not eating other vertebrates is somehow "cruelty free" and ethically superior to be a somewhat naive and deluded view of how organisms actually interact. This is fine in itself and I'm prepared to live and let live but being "educated" by self righteous vegan evangelists is however, eye roll and derision inducing.

Oh and on the topic of the accuracy of the posted image - it's inaccracy would lie in it's incompleteness e.g. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15692677
If you've been to a doctor and taken a prescribed medication, had an x-ray or got a vaccination, you've consumed an animal product.
some discussion from vegans on the issue: http://vegansofcolor.wordpress.com/...out-non-vegan-based-medications-and-medicine/

I'm pretty bloody suss about the whole fishing/seafood industry too. Pretty much none of it is sustainable, unless it's farmed, which tastes like crap, and brings it's own prblems to the table (so to speak)
I've heard piscovores referred to as "fish and chipocrites" a few times... West Australian rock lobster is relatively sustainable due to larval measurements allowing the prediction of effective population sizes and thus catch limits in the future, but aside from there's effectively no known sustainable fishery stocks. Some people are supposedly going as far as stocking up on bluefin in preparation for it's imminent extinction http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/12/bluefin-tuna-extinction_n_924957.html

Last edited:

jrewing

Eats Squid
Just slightly off topic, do you have good source for cheap roo meat? My partner and I are trying to only eat ethical and sustainable meat and it's bloody expensive when roo filet is 17 bucks a kilo from evil Coles and I can get a whole beef rump from the wholsesale butcher for 6 bucks a kilo. Bloody rabbits are just as expensive!

I'd love to be able to go bush with one of my rifles once a month and come back with a brace of rabbits, a goat, deer or pig, but it's just not feasible for me right now.

Roadkill? Just do go down the hume at night once a month.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
wish my butcher was that cheap, NCR6000.

meat, egg and milk farming is incredibly cruel and unsustainable. so many things are, things we don't even give thought to like the horseracing industry. but if you really want to have your squeamish stomach poked, research women's face creams and the human placenta products and circumcision industry that feeds the demand.

moorey

call me Mia
Arete, I make no claim to be ethically superior, and I definitely not evangelistic. I've been on this forum for 8 years, but you'll struggle to find me mentioning this issue before. Humorectomy had to be cancelled at last minute due to discovering there were salamander anuses in the anaesthetic.

The only reason I bought into this topic further is that it always amuses me me when people a momentarily outraged and upset by issues of animal cruelty, but continue to consume the results.

RE animal derivatives in everything. Yep, living a perfectly ethical life is impossible, but like many, I just do the best I can. Cheers for the considered response. :clap2:

Oliver.

Liquid Productions
I must admit I was never aware of this practice. The fact that dairy farmers make dairy cows produce offspring for the sole purpose of producing more milk, and then discard of the offspring almost immediately is quite sickening. I am far from a vegan, but this is disturbing.

Furthermore, the way the calves are handled in this video is also disturbing. Why do people feel the need to treat animals so roughly? The man leading the calf by pulling his tail because he can barely walk - he can barely walk because he hasn't been fed, and he has probably been pushed down the ramp and bruised and bashed all day in transport.

Those are the people I would happily see put down. Useless faggot.

We need some more legislation enacted to protect animals from this sort of behaviour. But most importantly, it's obvious that milk is simply too cheap. If they are using these practices to produce more milk for higher demand for milk products - then the cost of milk should rise accordingly to reduce consumption. If we cannot produce milk humanely in the required quantities, the price should be increased.

No Skid Marks

I didn't post it to tell anyone anything, or say I'm anything. It's an interesting video. I think the cruel guy in it was charged with cruelty, and the vid is dramatized. But there'd be a lot of truth to it.
Yeah eating fish is totally lame too.
Rood is pretty cheap in Jindabyne, and I'd like to know how to eat road kill, as there's tons of it, and I often check fresh ones for Joeys, so I get to know what ones are fresh on the side of the road.
I heard of a guy that road around Oz only carrying rice, and eating road kill, something about their eyes would mean it's fresh enough, can't recall if it was just if they had them as crows hadn't got them, or if they were clear. I'd go with if it's warm still myself, or stiff maybe.
People get so heated when they're defending something they do that they know is lame :distrust:.

Last edited:

No Skid Marks

Here's that other vid I mentioned. Remember, it's not me on stage, just some interesting concepts, maybe facts, you be the judge.
[video=youtube;5VWi6dXCT7I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VWi6dXCT7I[/video]