Five Ten Freerider vs Freerider VXi (non-MI6)

Irck

Likes Bikes
Hi guys,

Posted this elsewhere but haven't had any replies (hasn't been that long but I thought I'd throw it out here too...).

Would like to know what the differences are in fit, stiffness and grip between the Freerider and the Freerider VXi.

Particularly interested to know if the VXi is noticeably narrower and if the extra stiffness makes a real difference to ride quality?

These shoes have been out for a while so hopefully someone can do a direct comparison between them.

Thanks!

Beej1

Happy to bump this up as I'd like to hear some more on this.

Irck if you do a google search you'll find a few threads elsewhere ... though more commonly its Freerider vs Impact. I too read that the vxi is narrow. Also read that they suck if you're trying to walk up a muddy slope, but this seems to be mostly countered by the increase in ease of moving your foot around on the pins.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Irck

Likes Bikes
Yep, I think I've exhausted those threads. Like you indicated, there isn't too much making a direct comparison between the Freeriders and the Freerider VXi with the old S1 rubber. The narrower the better because I have skinny feet.

My options don't include the new MI6 rubber versions so I'm wondering if I'm better off trading the stiffness/extra protection/narrow fit of the VXis for the full dotty sole Freerider for maximum grip?

Beej1

Fwiw I have the full dotty sole Freeriders and they are super comfy.

BUT ... I purchased them originally to be my casual shoes, as I've been a clipped in rider for close to 10 years of riding. I've only converted to flats 2 rides ago, and the comfiness of the Freeriders carries onto their intended purpose. Comfier than any SPD shoe I've ever worn.

Having said that, I have a big wide foot. Even before saying that, I'd only recommend purchasing if you can either try it on first or send it back for free.

Only reason I'm interested in the vxi is they seem a little less bulky overall and are apparently lighter. But if they're narrow they prob won't suit my hoof.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Irck

Likes Bikes
Ah so the standard Freeriders are wide as well? I guess that's narrowed it down to the VXis then.

Honzo15

Likes Dirt
Ah so the standard Freeriders are wide as well? I guess that's narrowed it down to the VXis then.
I own the VXis and have a pretty narrow foot and they fit perfectly. I also think they have a stiffer sole designed for all day peddling. I love them and didnt experience any issues with the fact that the sole is non dotted under the forefoot. I think it makes it a bit easier to re postion your foot which I do quite regularly. I use them with Saint flat pedals and this combo is sticky ass and very comfy. I never wish to have clipless pedals with this combo and most of my rides include rock gardens from hell.

Can't give a comparison between them but I bought VXI'S last year and love them. Went to flats with a new bike and am sold. Found them to be pretty true to size for me, I'm a US 13. Had no issues with fit or any problems with comfort. Had them underwater, full of mud and catching dirt and rocks. No dramas.
Grip is great and after almost 12mths they're holding up great. Never walked them up a muddy slope so can't give any feedback there but I can easily wear them all day.
Fully recommended.

Irck

Likes Bikes
Cheers mate. Sounds like the VXis will fit right. The more I read though, the more there seems to be conflicting opinions on how grippy the flat sole is compared to the sorry sole.

Cheers mate. Sounds like the VXis will fit right. The more I read though, the more there seems to be conflicting opinions on how grippy the flat sole is compared to the sorry sole.
How much grip do you need? Must be a point where it's too much?
Had no issues with slipping. Positioning my feet is easy enough, still got to lift off to move sideways. Never had dotted soles but understand the grip is deathly. Can't go wrong either way.
Red colourway is pretty lairy though, I'm brave enough to put up with some ragging. It's a bold red.

Flow-Rider

Burner
is the sole any stiffer than impacts ?, I like riding on flats its just riding all day with guys with clipless means you have ride a lot harder than them as the soft soles seam to rob a lot of effort.

Irck

Likes Bikes
How much grip do you need? Must be a point where it's too much?
Had no issues with slipping. Positioning my feet is easy enough, still got to lift off to move sideways. Never had dotted soles but understand the grip is deathly. Can't go wrong either way.
Red colourway is pretty lairy though, I'm brave enough to put up with some ragging. It's a bold red.

I definitely need more grip than the current Five Ten Spitfires that I've been on since 2011. They never really seemed to have an exceptional amount of grip (the lift off to reposition kind), even from new. They're a stealth sole but they have a microdot pattern I've not seen on other Five Tens, so that might have something to do with the lack of grip. Whatever the case, the VXis sound 100% on my Spitfires.

is the sole any stiffer than impacts ?, I like riding on flats its just riding all day with guys with clipless means you have ride a lot harder than them as the soft soles seam to rob a lot of effort.
Another problem with my Spitfires, they're as stiff as a pair of thongs...

Beej1

This one?
download.jpg

It's prob what I'd choose. I reckon it looks awesome.

P.S. No need to be brave to wear whatever the F you want. If your riding buddies give you crap about such things it says more about them than you ;)

Honzo15

Likes Dirt
I definitely need more grip than the current Five Ten Spitfires that I've been on since 2011. They never really seemed to have an exceptional amount of grip (the lift off to reposition kind), even from new. They're a stealth sole but they have a microdot pattern I've not seen on other Five Tens, so that might have something to do with the lack of grip. Whatever the case, the VXis sound 100% on my Spitfires.

Another problem with my Spitfires, they're as stiff as a pair of thongs...
The spitfires are designed for dirt jumping, bmx or a quick freeride session in the park but not really for all day riding. The freeriders are way stiffer and the VXis even more.

It's prob what I'd choose. I reckon it looks awesome.

P.S. No need to be brave to wear whatever the F you want. If your riding buddies give you crap about such things it says more about them than you ;)[/QUOTE]

that's the colour, shoes is least of the ragging. trees and rocks I hit give them more stuff to laugh about.
I dig my bright colours though, got some pretty bright shorts and jerseys.
Easier to find me when I'm laid out somewhere.
:nod:

Irck

Likes Bikes
The spitfires are designed for dirt jumping, bmx or a quick freeride session in the park but not really for all day riding. The freeriders are way stiffer and the VXis even more.
Ok, good to know. After the feedback here I've got some VXis on the way. Tighter fit and the stiffer sole sound like a what I'm after (plus they look a little more protected in the toe) so fingers crossed they're sticky enough.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll report back once I've had a few rides.