Fish help

_CODY_

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,
I need some help. I have a 4ft african cichlid aqurium with 5 fish in it. Does anybody know if its ok to have a red claw crayfish(also fresh water) in with these fish? will the crayfish eat cichlid food?
any help would be sweet.:D

m_g

Likes Dirt
no-dont do it

crayfish/yabbies all stalk and attack fish, usually while sleeping at night in a crevice...Ive tried it, and it doesnt work...yabbies make great pets, but must be housed alone (no fish, and no other yabbies either, they fight)...you might get away with tetras, or some other mid water schooling fish, but any fish that shelters in your rockwork at night will be fair game for your cray...

your cray will eat anything...as long as it sinks to the ground...I used to feed my yabbie steak (keep a small bit in the freezer and just chop off small pieces), on a skewer...keep your fingers away from their claws!!! Also, sinking veggie tabs are good for them

OT-what sort of cichlids are they?

Last edited:

eyes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
... and no other yabbies either, they fight...
+1. My brother tried this recently with some yabbies we caught. Little tank and big pond, no matter what we did, there was always only 1 left after a few weeks - usually the biggest. :rolleyes:

Jon

Not Grip, OK... So don't ask!
The previous owner of my tank advised no yabbies as the 2 largest fish would eat them?
Biggest is adult male hand sized Green Severum.

Attachments

m_g

Likes Dirt
The previous owner of my tank advised no yabbies as the 2 largest fish would eat them?
Biggest is adult male hand sized Green Severum.
yeah severums are pretty badass...i reckon it would be a case of who gets who first...daytime=money on the severum, nightime=odds shortening on the yabbie to win...

lawry

Likes Dirt
I tried a yabby(5-6inch) in with my 2 jaguar cichlids(7inch)
Result- after 2 nights no sign AT ALL of the yabby lol

M.artin

Arrow Racing
they are long pelvic zebras...clicky
I really like that fish. - I just put a Blue Peacock and Electric Lab cichlid in my tank this week to give the others some more friend.

I think one of yours would look the goods as well, Was it hard to get?

_CODY_

Likes Dirt
I really like that fish. - I just put a Blue Peacock and Electric Lab cichlid in my tank this week to give the others some more friend.

I think one of yours would look the goods as well, Was it hard to get?
Well im not to sure. I was just lucky i only had to wait 2-3 weeks for mine. My local pet shop owner happened to be breeding them at the time. So im not to sure.

Doggy

Inconceivable!
I ran american cichlids such as the Red Devil and Oscars with red claw crays and never had a hassles. They had nips at each other but for most of it they Left each other alone. Cue getting rid of the devils and oscars and getting Barcoo Grunters which are an aussie native and good by 8 inch long cray. Bastard fish was smart and waited till the cray was shedding to grow and then snapped it all up.
Man as strange as it sounds I miss my grunters. They would float to the top of the tank to get a belly rub and everything