Farkiners I need your help

dsquared

Likes Bikes
Ok, so I need something to commute around on. I was thinking a scooter because motorcycles are out of my price range (1500$) There was a nice
50 cc scooter for sale which supposedly can sit on 65kmh pretty comfortably. However it is from 2004 and has done 9200kms. I was just about to buy it for what I thought was a good price, when one of my mates said that a 50cc engine was lucky to have done that many kms and has had 95% of its lifespan gone. Should I still buy it or is this true?

yeh mate wouldn't want to risk it. some high Ks for a small engine but if you got it cheap enough you could probly look at getting it rebuilt or a complet new engine but depends on what you want to do

Tom Foolery

Likes Bikes
The guy in my sig makes electric bikes that can sit on 45-50kmh, do 60+kms between charges and costs 13c to charge. Cost is around 1000 I think, adds 6-7kgs to bike weight.

Babau

Squid
To my mind, a 50cc scooter fulfills the same role as a pushbike. Short distances and low speed, only you don't get any exercise.

125cc is really the minimum for Sydney, imho. Unless you have iron self control, get an automatic. With a manual it's too tempting to change gears with full throttle on then just dump the clutch back out in order to maintain speed. Gearboxes don't like that, though...

If you're willing to get your hands dirty, though, you could get an unregistered 250cc motorcycle that needs a bit of work within your pricerange. If you need to be taking it to a mechanic to sort out every little thing, it gets uneconomical very very fast. Look for something like a Honda CD250. They're well built, simple and dirt cheap. There's a couple on bikepoint at the moment, both unregistered, one going for $1000 from a dealer and another going for $1500 privately. I'm sure both could be talked down a bit, leaving you some cash to spend on getting it registered.

Overall, a 250 will be much more pleasant to commute on than a 125.

Also, get yourself onto some bike forums and have a poke around.

::edit:: If all else fails, get a postie bike. Those things are brilliant.

Tom Foolery

Likes Bikes
My point? You said you're looking for cheap 2 wheeled motorised transport. I have provided another option for your consideration.
Sorry I thought it was obvious.

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
Engine size is directly related to lifespan now? Holy shit, let me go and get a Dodge Viper so I can do heaps of km before it wears out...

If it's a 2stroke rebuilds are a piece of cake anyway.

Only get a 50cc if you can stick to backroads and avoid highways/70kmh+ roads. Otherwise, size up. Dangerous stuff otherwise.