F1 2010: Like sand through the hourglass...

Wikid Z

Likes Dirt
Any chance someone could fill me in?
Well Vettel was given a drive through for being to many car lengths away from the back of Webber (10 car lengths is the max distance between cars) when the safety car was out. The incident they showed was not at the restart, it was when the pace car was on the front straight and he was warming up his tyres.

At the restart Vettel was asleep and Webber had a 2.5 sec lead as they crossed the line on the restart. All Vettel had to do was follow Webber and he would have finished first with Webber second. But for Vettel not abiding by the rules he was given a drive through and finished 3rd while Webber finish 1st.

I thought not pitting when the safety car was going to hurt, but Webber made the right call.

As for MS he should be banned for a race or two. While watching it live with that in car view and that wall getting closer and closer I was waiting for the hit. I am happy Rubins missed it because that would have been a big accident.

Edit:
Schumacher ONLY given a 10 place grid penalty at next race. A pretty soft penalty.

The drivers gave differing views of the incident directly after the race, with Barrichello telling Spanish TV station La Sexta:
“I have a lot of experience and usually with a crazy guy like that I would lift off, but not today, absolutely not,” the Brazilian said.
“I think it has been one of the most beautiful manoeuvres I’ve done and one of the most horrendous from him. At the end of the day we don’t need that.
“To stop for three years and then come back and do something like that, we don’t need it.”

Replying via BBC Sport, Schumacher calmly defended his actions.
“We know certain drivers have certain views and then there is Rubens,” he said.
“As a driver, you have the ability to change the line once. That’s what I was driving to. We didn’t touch, so I guess I just left enough space for him to come through.
“I’m known not to give presents on the track. If you want to pass me you have to fight for it.
“I knew that he was coming, so from my point of view, I was moving over to the inside to make it very obvious and clear to him ‘go on the other side, there’s more space for you.’ He didn’t choose to, so it got a bit tight.”

Last edited:

Wikid Z

Likes Dirt
With the summer break now started in the F1, Webber said he was going to turn his phone off for the next 3 and a half weeks. I wonder if he will change his mind...........

I can see him relaxing on a deck chair overlooking the Monaco harbour texting Vettel everyday.....How are you going today Vettel? Have you seen who is on top on the F1 ladder.......ME!

scuba05

Likes Dirt
Another crazy thing to come out of that race. The debarkles that happened during the SC pit stops.

That tire from rosburgs car bouncing around in the pit lane about 5-10m in the air would be quite a scary thing. Im assuming those thigns arent exactly heavy, but thats a lot of energy waiting to hit someone.

Also, im sure Renault's lollipop man had a stern talking to after releasing Kubica straight into Sutill. Luckily that was only at low speeds as well. Could have been nasty.

I could help but laugh at vettel's park job at the end of the race. Bumped into the little sign saying 3rd place.

I would also have to agree that 10 place grid drop is a bit light for Shumacher, but on the flip side, but in this day and age, where overtaking is difficult to say the least, it is a pretty big disadvantage. But would he do it again? I would say yes.

Anyone care to speculate on RBR's front wing, and if there will be a penalty with the findings by the F1 people about it flexing?

EDIT: Video of some of the incident's
[video=youtube;VOUSijtoKdM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOUSijtoKdM[/video]

Last edited:

stoff

Likes Dirt
My read on the wing thing is that its a bit of a beat up. I was a bit bored on the weekend and checked the F1 Technical Regulations, which state that all testing must be conducted on a stationary car on flat ground. Also couldn't find anything in there that said the wing actually has to be completely rigid. Based on that, all the FIA really could do would be to introduce a ruling saying this is illegal and you can't use it any more. Having said that there is also a rule in there that mentions they wouldn't really do that until the end of the season. Anyway, if you have some time on your hands, hear it is F1 Tech Regs 2010

In summary I am sure we will hear plenty about the issue for a few days. Mclaren will build one (or hopefully two - don't wan't to make RBR's mistake) in time for Spa and therefore won't care too much. Other teams won't bother because their season is so far gone, and the issue will die.

willsy01

Eats Squid
Mclaren will build one
If you believe Martin Whitmarsh, they're trying but aren't able to replicate it. That being said, it was all well and good for McLaren to bend the rules with their F-duct.....different story when someone else does it though.

Apparently the effect is achieved by laying the carbon fibre layers all in the same plane which causes it to lose a little of the lateral stiffness. I'm sure there's a lot more to it than just this however.

The FIA are changing the testing parameters for front wings before Belgium at the end of the month.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85817

Venciferus

Likes Dirt
The 'pit-crew-men' in the white holding the wheel just dodges that tyre and then the car, shows how spatially aware these guys probably are, amazing!

smeck

Likes Dirt
If you believe Martin Whitmarsh, they're trying but aren't able to replicate it. That being said, it was all well and good for McLaren to bend the rules with their F-duct.....different story when someone else does it though............
It will be interesting to see the FIA results, Webber did won 3 of his 4 races without that wing, and he beat Vettel at Silverstone who was running the new wing, even if a puncture was involved. Given its greatest advantage appears to be on high load fast corners there will be circuits that give a good advantage and others will minimal. Hungary appears to be one of the circuits that amplify the result, Webber, 17secs to both Ferraris and the remaining RBR within 10sec of each other, then 45sec back to the field.

Suprising to hear Brawn complaining so heavily, he got a technical jump on the field with last year's rear splitter. Now Redbull have the jump, I wonder if Horner regrets being so vocal when they were behind? These are the sort of innovations that are the core of F1, it's meant to be about pushing technological boundaries and making gains. It's not like they've invented a new device, just a new approach/better method of an existing device.

Plow King

Little bit.
So sick of these fucking rule changes. In 2013 they're discussing changing the engines to 1.6 twin turbo's. Wait for it... Why? To make formula 1 greener... Get the fuck out. It's formula 1 not fucking farming. Grrrr. Fuck people annoy me. You're worried about saving the environment 23 cars isn't a worry they burn what? 100ish liters a race. Ppl go through that once a fortnight. And there are how many billion cars in the world? 2014 'formula prius' grrr!!

scuba05

Likes Dirt
geez... has someone screwed with Webber's clutch or something? He cant start for shit in the last few races.

At least any points he gets will be more than Hamilton

wombat

Lives in a hole
Webber putting a solid move on Michael; good times.

Edit: Re: Hulkenberg, WTF?

Last edited:

wombat

Lives in a hole
The Hulkenburg thing was a bit wierd. Got him eventually, but that pretty much kept him from smashing past Vettel.
That had been what I was thinking too, but at the end of it all Webber would have needed to not only clear Hulk, but Rosberg as well, and then pull a second or so to be safe from Vettel.

I know Mark came pretty close to catching barbie, but it was only because he had a big moment pushing trying to stay in front of Vettel. Even if Hulk had yielded (or just stayed on the track and been passed) I don't really know that Mark could caught and passed Rosberg fast enough to stay ahead of Vettel.

I think the bigger question is 'why does RBR's strategist team still suck so hard?'
Webber had a few seconds on Vettel when he pitted, why didn't they leave Mark out and run a strategy similar to Seb? Surely with a few more clear laps he had the pace to clear Kubica Rosberg and Hulkenberg all at once?

wombat

Lives in a hole
Because Webber isn't European?
As much as I like to buy into the wunderkind conspiracy theories, I think the actual answer is that they just pretty much suck. Sure, their response to Vettel's situation worked last night, and they pulled off a minor miracle with Webber in Hungary, but that aside they've had some shockers, for both drivers.

I can imagine Newey and his guys feeling like busting heads some weekends.

scuba05

Likes Dirt
Well this race is up and down. I thought Webber's strategy was going to work initially, then i thought he was up s**t creek for a while, then the McLarens didnt pit, and he is infront of them.

We thought RBR had bad strategists.

EDIT: WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT VIRGIN RACING CAR DOING????? He was just sitting in Webber's way, and gave Hamilton the jump to get the overtake. Will be interesting to see what the stewards do. I hope they do nothing, as Mark had nowhere to go.

Last edited:

wombat

Lives in a hole
Yeah, tough call with the Webber/Hamilton incident, not a lot in it though. Regardless though, the backmarkers should be let through under the safety car IMO; if they're left there it doesn't help anyone, they stay a lap down, and the leaders just get fucked up at the restart. I guess the question is then how many lapped cars do you let past, so as to not give some a free ride, and disadvantage those behind them.

Maybe a better solution would be to let the car on the lead lap past the backmarkers whilst behind the safety car? Dunno how you'd orchestrate that though.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Maybe a better solution would be to let the car on the lead lap past the backmarkers whilst behind the safety car? Dunno how you'd orchestrate that though.
I think it would probably be a bit too open to catastrophic error for that too happen - especially on a tight course where overtaking is tricky at the best of time. On courses like Singapore and Monaco you'll have swarms of guys crowding around a crashed car trying to get it off the track and into the crane slings, picking up debris etc. and all it needs is for some championship hopeful (probably Alonso :rolleyes:) to take the opportunity in amongst the confusion to overtake a few backmarkers and wipe out a few stewards at the same time!

Speaking of the flamboyant Thunderbirds puppet, he seems a bit too cocky and self assured now that he's won two races in a row. I know there are only 8 points separating him and Webber but shit, with the massive fluctuations in car performance between races how in the hell is he expecting a clean sweep over the next 4* races. Utter madness, I tell ya!

The other thing I found intriguing is the new-found brotherly love emanating from Lewis Hamilton. Mclaren have been pretty forward in the fact that they aren't favouring either driver over each other and are supporting each driver equally, and in the last race interview Hamilton actually was remorseful about his crash, didn't blame Webber or anything and actually expressed hope that either he OR Button could take the championship.

Somehow I can't really see Webber or Vettel in the same situation openly supporting each other...

hmmmm...

*Yeah, I know that Korea is doubtful but so is Silverstone EVERY year and they still always put on a good show...

wombat

Lives in a hole
I think it would probably be a bit too open to catastrophic error for that too happen - especially on a tight course where overtaking is tricky at the best of time. On courses like Singapore and Monaco you'll have swarms of guys crowding around a crashed car trying to get it off the track and into the crane slings, picking up debris etc. and all it needs is for some championship hopeful (probably Alonso :rolleyes:) to take the opportunity in amongst the confusion to overtake a few backmarkers and wipe out a few stewards at the same time!
Oh yeah, it'd be risky, but would it be any worse than asking Yamamoto to pick his way through the leaders?

As for Lewis, I'm definately finding myself warming to him a bit. I mean I always liked his agressive driving (although I think he maybe needed to show a little more respect to drivers in slower cars in the past) but he always seemed like a smug little prick with a grand sense of entitlement. In press conferences he would always say the right thing, but it kind of felt like it was coming from a team of PR spin doctors; or maybe it was just his dad....
Anyway, he seems more genuine now to me, and he still drives the wheels off his car.

Looking forward to the rest of the season though! Suzuka is awesome, Interlagos is awesome, Korea is new and a potential train wreck, and Adu Dahbi umm, oh, it has that hotel with the really pretty light show thing. They should just put a camera on that constantly, so I can get drunk, watch the pretty lights and listen to the last of Leggard's inane commentary!