Extending the steerer on forks

MudRhino

Likes Dirt
Hi guys, new here so apology if I have posted this in the wrong area or if the question has been answered before - but has anyone ever tried to extended their forks steerer by welding on an attachment?

I am currently building up a new bike (Specialized Enduro 2010) and purchased some forks online. Ends up the forks are about 1 - 2 cms short for the size of my frame. I have an old set of forks that I am thinking of cutting about 2cms from and then welding it on to my new ones. Has anyone tried this?

Also on a side note - does anyone know what material fox forks steerers are made of? I need to know before I begin welding as chrome, mild steel and alloy all need to be welded differently.

Cheers, Evan

neo_vitamin

Likes Dirt
Hi guys, new here so apology if I have posted this in the wrong area or if the question has been answered before - but has anyone ever tried to extended their forks steerer by welding on an attachment?

I am currently building up a new bike (Specialized Enduro 2010) and purchased some forks online. Ends up the forks are about 1 - 2 cms short for the size of my frame. I have an old set of forks that I am thinking of cutting about 2cms from and then welding it on to my new ones. Has anyone tried this?

Also on a side note - does anyone know what material fox forks steerers are made of? I need to know before I begin welding as chrome, mild steel and alloy all need to be welded differently.

Cheers, Evan
Sounds a bit crazy, does enough stick through for a small stem and no spacers or do you want loads of steerer poking out the headset??

If you weld it you'd have to clean up both the inner and outer pretty accurate, which could be tricky.

moorey

call me Mia
Did it years ago with a set of steel steerer Z1's. Got an engineer to sleeve it, bevel the enso of steerer and extension, and weld up. I only needed about 2cm and had a very high stack stem.
Maybe this should go in the confessions thread....

PS...I'm pretty sure a length of 1" steerer pressed perfectly in to make the sleeve, and then I used a 1" star fangle inside that. Its been at least 15 years....don't quote me on that...

Last edited:

MudRhino

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the direction guys.

I did in fact speak to the guys at Gripsport, and after some discussion discovered they could remove and replace the steerer completely, and it ends up being cheaper than re-sleeving. So Gripsport have my business :)

Also thanks for the link to the ebay extension item, but to use it you need a steerer to begin with :lol:

MudRhino

Likes Dirt
Next on the agenda, does anyone have any idea how to fix a specialized command seat post that occasionally drops?

My friend discovered the issue when he was mono'ing the bike and the seat collapsed from under him (I wont mention names as he is on here somewhere) :dance:

MudRhino

Likes Dirt
Just thought I would give you guys a heads up on how things went. The steerer was replaced in my forks a few months ago, and the bike has coped a hiding - I even stacked it.

Happy to advise, the steerer is still holding strong :)