Experience based recommendations for robust new fork 120-140mm

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes, same people but the DVO system is totally different from anything else, The air spring is way advanced than any other (hydraulic oil over air bladder, compared to only air bladder).
Both fox and rs forks work on expanding oil volume in their bladders, not air. They are activated by the air shaft rod but I wouldn't call them air bladders. If the DVO system is totally different then why doesn't it get rave reviews, even online, you don't see people ranting about how good their DVO fork is.

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
SR Suntour... those pesky guys who stopped making forks for Marzocchi.
Yep, cause everything has an expiry date and those guys are past it. They just circle jerk around their own ideas and don't consider anything else.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Both fox and rs forks work on expanding oil volume in their bladders, not air. They are activated by the air shaft rod but I wouldn't call them air bladders. If the DVO system is totally different then why doesn't it get rave reviews, even online, you don't see people ranting about how good their DVO fork is.
First you said they were the same as a suntour fork just a different coloured leg, to which I said no parts are identical. Then you said they are miles out dated but then you say all current shocks have the same type of air bladders.

They are only a new fork on the market, so I think there will not be that many reviews on them ATM and they are on the heavy side as well. DVO is a different division from Suntour and they can only get better if all goes well.

I also note this Burner is not complaining about DVO after he drops a large some of cash on a bike. http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?293582-DVO-Tracer

DVO Compression Bladder

On the damper side DVO uses a bladder system. Unlike other forks where the bladder is filled with oil and expands as the fork cycles, the Diamond has air inside the bladder and oil on the outside that compresses the bladder rather than expanding it. This is similar to the DVO Jade rear shock. DVO chose to go this route to combat a few negatives of cartridge bladder systems, including loss of elasticity of the bladder over time. They also claim it improves initial sensitivity. During assembly or maintenance, the bladder is filled with air at atmospheric pressure then sealed to keep oil out. A high pressure dynamic quad lip oil seal helps in this regard. The cartridge is filled with oil using a syringe via the cartridge bleed port at the top of the fork, keeping air and oil separated. As the damper is compressed the bladder exerts pressure on the oil, aiding in cavitation prevention.
http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Forks,33/DVO/Diamond,15238

Last edited:

SummitFever

Eats Squid
...They are activated by the air shaft rod but I wouldn't call them air bladders...
The bladder has nothing to deal with the "air shaft rod". I think you mean the "cartridge damping rod".

I'd also avoid the throwaway broad sweeping statements. You do realise that Manitou had sealed cartridge dampers with spring loaded IFPs and proper shimmed comp and rebound circuits about 10 years before RS came out with the charger damper?

Technically the DVO stuff seems good. I've not ridden a DVO fork so can't comment how they actually ride, but on paper they seem to have everything that's needed for a high performance fork. The fact that they are made by Suntour is neither here nor there. I suspect many suspension components for the big name brands are made by the likes of Suntour and others in the far east.

Cletus

Likes Dirt
+1 on the X - fusion Vengeance fork. Super smooth very solid 36mm fork. Performs way better than the fox float rc fork I replaced. A touch heavier than the fox, but definitely the better fork of the two..

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Some closure..

I found what I am hoping is the perfect fork. I greatly appreciate all the input given here, even though I think I ignored everybody. I am awaiting the arrival of a set for Fox 36 Talas 160s. I intend running them in the lowered setting. I just hope the 2 different shades of special K don't clash.