Email/IP listed with Spamhaus? Help!

sxereturn

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys,

Again, I'm posting a tech question on Farkin as it usually pays off.

Just went to reply to an email from one of my company email addresses and I got this error -

nschwcmgw06p BigPond Outbound [OB105. Connection refused. 60.226.8.14 is listed on the Exploits Block List (XBL). Please visit http://www.spamhaus.org/xbl/ for more information.

I checked out the link and from what I can ascertain, somehow my computer/email/IP or whatever has been infected with something that sends SPAM. Spamhaus goes on about NAT's, IP's, SMTP's and all these other acronyms that would make heaps of sense if you're an IT guru, but for humble humans like myself, they make my brain churn and anxiety sky rocket.

I'm using Outlook for Mac, what the fuck do I do to get rid of this stuff? In plain English please...if someone can do this for me I'll happily buy you a carton of whatever you like!

Cheers

willsy01

Eats Squid
GO to the address in the NDR, Pop your IP in the required field and submit.....may take 24hrs to replicate through all DNS servers around the world.

sxereturn

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The issue isn't getting removed from Spamhaus - I've done that a couple of times. The issue is it keeps telling me I'm sending spam when I'm not. Obviously I have some malware or something like that that's commandeering my email addresses? I'm using a Mac, that shouldn't happen right?

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im getting hit with stupid amounts of spam thru outlook on my mac too..... not sure how to tell if its the same problem though...

tc2233

Likes Dirt
I had this happen to me last week after i emailed bank account details to my aunty (Spamhaus thought my email was spam). I called bigpond (my ISP) and they were able to remove it for me.

markb84

Likes Dirt
Ok, firstly download and install a program called 'little snitch' it's free to download, you just have to pay if you want it to run all the time. It's a network permissions program. Once you install it you will be asked every time a program requests access to the internet whether to allow or block forever or allow or block this time, when you open outlook the first time allow it 'this time' not 'forever' and once it has loaded and checked your standard mail leave it and watch activity monitor in your OS bar at the top of the screen, if you're not doing anything on the network there should no longer be any green or red indicators. If there are and when you hover over it will give the SMTP details in the semi trans black box it will confirm that you are still suffering from something hi-jacking your outlook and sending spam, shutdown outlook, reopen it and when little snitch asks for permission, deny it for 'this time' that way you can have outlook open and the bug operating without sending anything.

If there is no activity it means that your email address has been spoofed, there are two options in that case, you either stop using it completely and create a replacement account or you play the waiting game, after some time it will stop. Unfortunately there's not usually a lot that can be done.

If there is traffic then you need to go down the antivirus route, do a full scan of everything with an updated anti virus program (from a reputable company, AVG, McAfee, Norton) and see what comes up, remove anything it finds and then change your passwords afterwords, hopefully you'll then be rid of it.

And i'd suggest that, after resolving everything, if you can run mail instead of outlook on your mac you'll be better off, windows deals better with outlook attacks and OSX deals better with mail attacks.

jayjay3032

Likes Bikes
This probably has nothing to do with outlook or anything on your computer. Spammers traget servers not mail clients.

I'd say your mail server has been compromised and is being used as a spam relay. Do you host your own website/mail server?

Without knowing what the setup is we can't really help much