Electric Vehicles etc

Jabubu

let you google that for me
My brother got the new Model 3 dual motor, handling, interior and cabin noise reduction are what he reckons are the stand out changes, more refined were his words. He said no worries adapting to no indicator stalk, just like a motorbike.
A motorbike doesn't have a steering wheel. Your hands grip the bars and there is limited side to side movement, but your hands and controls are always in the same place.

Putting vertical indicator buttons on a steering wheel so they're not consistently in the same place is a dumb idea. It just is.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
It's only around $800 cheaper over 10 years than a Toyota.
I would have thought it would be less than that considering there's no engine oil/oil filters to change, no engine air filters, no timing belts, alternator belts, spark plugs or exhaust system, and things in common like brake pads and tyres.
A Tesla really only has the brake fluid and cabin air filter needs to be checked and replaced, if necessary, every 24 months, the air conditioning desiccant bag that needs to be replaced every six years. Then there are just the tyres and maybe brake pads if they ever wear out.
Sounds like some serious markups on "dealer servicing" at Tesla....

Scotty T

Walks the walk
People do like to enjoy the tyre shredding torque, so they do tend to eat tyres a lot.
They are big expensive tyres. Definitely a bit of what oldcorrollas said too, what will the market bear, let's charge somewhere around that.

Putting vertical indicator buttons on a steering wheel so they're not consistently in the same place is a dumb idea. It just is.
Everyone is freaking out about it, but in the real world it appears not as big a problem as people think. It's only an issue on tight roundabouts, everywhere else it works exactly like a motorbike, except it cancels automatically after you complete the corner. Even living in Canberra, I do not go through any tight roundabouts on my daily commute. There is speculation, that eventually it will hook in with the GPS and cameras and just indicate/cancel for you, in that case it becomes a dumb idea to have stalks. It may be the case with auto indicating that in 5 years there will be no stalks in any cars.

Jabubu

Because Teslas have been faultless with cameras... But seriously, why are companies trying to do away with tried and trusted ergonomics? There's a reason VW are returning to buttons and switches from non-tactile touch controls.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I just asked my brother what his Model 3 cost him that he had from 2019 to just a few months ago and he had a 12v battery replaced under warranty and a set of tyres at 60,000km but that’s it. So, I'm not sure where the $4,035 USD average would come from over 10 years. This would be the early Model S we would be talking about too. The only one to be 10 years old.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Because Teslas have been faultless with cameras... But seriously, why are companies trying to do away with tried and trusted ergonomics? There's a reason VW are returning to buttons and switches from non-tactile touch controls.
Less shit to go wrong, more profit to be made. Simples. On the cameras, an auto indicate function wouldn't need them if it uses GPS. Of course you would have to tell the car where you are going first. The exception would be overtaking, in that case the button on the wheel is not an impedement because you barely turn the wheel.

I had no problem with the lack of buttons in the existing Model 3, adjusting the a/c last week while driving was as simple as my car. Every car I ever owned has had buttons fail.

Jabubu

The exception would be overtaking, in that case the button on the wheel is not an impedement because you barely turn the wheel.
Agreed, straight ahead doesn't change the position of the buttons.

I had no problem with the lack of buttons in the existing Model 3, adjusting the a/c last week while driving was as simple as my car. Every car I ever owned has had buttons fail.
I've never had a button fail in a car in the 30 years I've been driving. And I've owned two TVRs!

Jabubu

Must have been the only things that didn't fail. lol
Well the first one had a faulty lambda sensor but then it was trouble free for 6,000 miles. The second one needed a gearbox recondition and the big fuse failed but that was an older used model.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Sounds like some serious markups on "dealer servicing" at Tesla....
Faark, we agree on something.

Wasn't long ago Tesla was crowing about the biggest profit margin of any EV maker.

Just cut their prices for a 3rd time, 4-5 days ago in the US. It will come here too. $2000usd off the full range.

Feeling the pinch from BYD. No longer the big dog.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Faark, we agree on something.

Wasn't long ago Tesla was crowing about the biggest profit margin of any EV maker.

Just cut their prices for a 3rd time, 4-5 days ago in the US. It will come here too. $2000usd off the full range.

Feeling the pinch from BYD. No longer the big dog.
Tesla I dont think are responding to other EV makers, they can still sell every car they make. From what I've read at least its more about managing demand on the factories. They're running all their factories as hard as they can, but when there are model changeovers etc and having doing refits etc they need to hose down demand so the prices go up - and when everything is humming along they can open up the demand tap again. Its all about avoiding havign to store cars, and manage wait times for customers.

Or something... Im not a production engineer and a product planner or whatever, but it made sense to me i think...

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
It's only an issue on tight roundabouts,
Only if you indicate like a NSW person.

WTF is up with that? Indicate left to go left, but also straight? Indicate right, then left to exit? OK, that makes some sense, but only on big roundabouts.

How about just concentrating on driving not making disco lights?

indica

Serial flasher
Want to get home genset for cyclones, the car will charge off inverter genny right?
Interested for back up power and initial range anxiety