Electric Vehicles etc

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I think Renault make the Master in a dual cab chassis, but it’s a lot bigger..
VW, Ford, M-B and Iveco all make something similar in that one size up class (as arguably do Hino, Fuso and Isuzu) but yes the size is an issue. Especially so since the T4 is already approaching six metres in length and I find it a handful on those rare occasions when it's in the city as it is.

Jabubu

let you google that for me
I rarely take mine to the city, but when I do I rarely have issues parking it.

I also looked at the updated Tesla Model Y online (Juniper) and apparently ventilated seats will be available :)

silentbutdeadly

Heads away about once a month with his mates to a 4WD park, just back yesterday from a trip to the Murray mouth, drove down the beach, camped the night and surfed, planning a Robe to Beachport dune run in the next few weeks when he isn't working. Just because his vehicle commutes and does the daily running, doesn't mean he doesn't need the 4WD option on occasion.

There's a group of about 10-12 of them go each time, all good kids, no hooning around the hills in fast cars with car clubs. Just getting out there and enjoying the Aussie countryside.

Ahhh.. I forgot, the rotorburn policy, no bogan utes/4WDs or bogan jetskis allowed but owning numerous cars, track cars and dirt bikes is encouraged.

Some people only like to pay insurance once, rego once and buy a vehicle that covers all bases, tow their boat, tow their 2-3 ton caravan, take the missus and 3 kids away on holidays or getting out there with their mates doing things they enjoy.
The fact that the ubiquitous dual cab utes and their wagon sisters are the car of choice for this is something of an indictment of the Oz car market rather than the punters that own them and drive them.

The simple fact that there's no longer anything smaller in the off road class of vehicles other than the Jimny and soon to be Jimny XL and what was midsize is now one size fatter (as in as big as an old Land Cruiser or Patrol) is damn shame.

I also run a mid 90s Suzuki Vitara wagon (affectionately known as 'The Filing Cabinet') and it's the perfect size for one or two people and a 4x4 journey. If only it didn't have the dynamics of a tin shed in a cyclone. An EV version of such a thing would be awesome for so many.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The simple fact that there's no longer anything smaller in the off road class of vehicles other than the Jimny and soon to be Jimny XL and what was midsize is now one size fatter (as in as big as an old Land Cruiser or Patrol) is damn shame.

I also run a mid 90s Suzuki Vitara wagon (affectionately known as 'The Filing Cabinet') and it's the perfect size for one or two people and a 4x4 journey. If only it didn't have the dynamics of a tin shed in a cyclone. An EV version of such a thing would be awesome for so many.
The old Jimny worked so well as it weighed 950kg, reckon Jimny-EV will weight a bit more.

silentbutdeadly

The old Jimny worked so well as it weighed 950kg, reckon Jimny-EV will weight a bit more.
Which would probably help it actually stick to the road! My old Sierra and this Vitara are often too light for their own good and it allowed Suzuki to be a bit too simplistic in their approach to vehicle dynamics as a result.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Which would probably help it actually stick to the road! My old Sierra and this Vitara are often too light for their own good and it allowed Suzuki to be a bit too simplistic in their approach to vehicle dynamics as a result.
Would need to have a well protected battery as a ding to the underside can write an EV off.

silentbutdeadly

Would need to have a well protected battery as a ding to the underside can write an EV off.
Like the nearly brand new fleet Ranger that's been sitting at the mechanic for two weeks and counting waiting for a new sump plate? A rock cracked it on a fire trail and all the oil fell out. Was driven out to some extent due to the remoteness before the eventual tractor and tilt tray recovery.

No-one knows and almost no-one cares if it's damaged enough to write it off yet as there are no Ranger fans amongst the fleet operators...they only get them because they are the cheapest (by far) of any dual cab 4x4 for government to lease.

TLDR: everything breaks if you use it as intended...

silentbutdeadly

Not a fan myself. I joined a 'Ranger Owners' page to get some info for the lad... faaark me, do they have problems.
Yeah...they don't like heavy towing due to a spot weld at the rear of the gearbox and the rear suspension in the last generation is truly awful after just a light beating. And the current generation is built soooo cleverly cheap that it's not easy to dismantle to repair.

And then there's the non existent part supply and support - there's been a couple of the government fleet fitted out here with used parts to get them running again due to unavailability of new parts.

I'm sure the EV Ranger won't be a shit show though....

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I rarely take mine to the city, but when I do I rarely have issues parking it.

I also looked at the updated Tesla Model Y online (Juniper) and apparently ventilated seats will be available :)
Yeah. I guess jsut look at the recent modle
3 update to see what the Y will get

Scotty T

Walks the walk
At the very least a battery should give a better center of gravity in trucks. Traction control and torque from 0 should make it super easy for EV 4wd's to tackle steep difficult climbs.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
My brother got the new Model 3 dual motor, handling, interior and cabin noise reduction are what he reckons are the stand out changes, more refined were his words. He said no worries adapting to no indicator stalk, just like a motorbike.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
It's only around $800 cheaper over 10 years than a Toyota.
I would have thought it would be less than that considering there's no engine oil/oil filters to change, no engine air filters, no timing belts, alternator belts, spark plugs or exhaust system, and things in common like brake pads and tyres.
A Tesla really only has the brake fluid and cabin air filter needs to be checked and replaced, if necessary, every 24 months, the air conditioning desiccant bag that needs to be replaced every six years. Then there are just the tyres and maybe brake pads if they ever wear out.

Last edited:

SummitFever

Eats Squid
It's only $800 cheaper over 10 years than a Toyota.
I would have thought it would be less than that considering there's no engine oil/oil filters to change, no engine air filters, no timing belts, alternator belts, spark plugs or exhaust system, and things in common like brake pads and tyres.
A Tesla really only has the brake fluid and cabin air filter needs to be checked and replaced, if necessary, every 24 months, the air conditioning desiccant bag that needs to be replaced every six years. Then there are just the tyres and maybe brake pads if they ever wear out.
Yeah. Seems like there should be a much bigger difference. Of course if you need to replace the battery...