Ebola - The End of the World?

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Com'n fess up, you love your PASIO coloured shirts! Do you lot hide an Ebola stabby in your tie just in case of dissenters?
I think I may be close to deciphering one of bermshots posts!!!!!

Is an Ebola 'stabby' like an Epi-Pen that they get to inject if they're actually suffering a bout of dysentry but are feeling a bit freaked out or is it a stubby (as in the standard australian term for a bottle of beer) full of ebola that they would presumably give to dissenters who don't wish to toe the party line?

Either way, I'm not sure why they'd be keeping either device in their tie. Surely that would get uncomfortable. Especially if it was an actual stubby.

Bermshot

Banned
I think I may be close to deciphering one of bermshots posts!!!!!

Is an Ebola 'stabby' like an Epi-Pen that they get to inject if they're actually suffering a bout of dysentry but are feeling a bit freaked out or is it a stubby (as in the standard australian term for a bottle of beer) full of ebola that they would presumably give to dissenters who don't wish to toe the party line?

Either way, I'm not sure why they'd be keeping either device in their tie. Surely that would get uncomfortable. Especially if it was an actual stubby.
Nah missed it mate. A small needle hidden inside the tie (with equally small casing) with which the programmed element has orders to unleash on everyone due to a few dissenters, easy mate.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight

jrewing

Eats Squid
I've been following the outbreak since it first happened. I've been surprised by how people I speak to know little about it or the magnitude of it.
I've heard respected people put a massive death toll on it, which was also a conservative estimation.

Bermshot

Banned
It's OK peeps, we can piss off the touro's and crack this baby open for it's true purpose, again. And fuck Manly, when they went all Latte, they lost it. So now all you Manlyite's and progressives can put all of your caffeine minds together and protect the Nation! Now that's progressive.
image.jpg
And if they must meet the maker, well hey! They'll do it in paradise. Aussie Aussie!

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It's OK peeps, we can piss off the touro's and crack this baby open for it's true purpose, again. And fuck Manly, when they went all Latte, they lost it. So now all you Manlyite's and progressives can put all of your caffeine minds together and protect the Nation! Now that's progressive.
View attachment 300051
And if they must meet the maker, well hey! They'll do it in paradise. Aussie Aussie!
Slavery, political imprisonment, and genocide?

And it just keeps getting better...

Fresh off the back of news out of Spain. First case of Ebola contracted IN the USA.

CDC's official statement just released:
http://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2014/s1012-texas-health-care-worker.html

The story in Huffington
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/12/cdc-ebola-texas_n_5973726.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063

It's going to make Mad Cows, SARS & AIDS look like Mardi Gras or an indigestion-inducing packet of Fruit Tingles by comparison. It was my sentiment months ago but after these latest deaths outside of continental Africa, it's safe to say that the horse has well & truly bolted & the issue is beyond any defensive containment strategy border protection, quarantine or western health services are prepared for. Fucking stupid, stupid situation. At the current rate of inaction, based on spatial, cultural & political limitations, environmental factors, geographic magnitude, economics & the underlying, though prevailing, conflict of interest by those who SHOULD be funding & leading the charge to stem, contain & eradicate (to the best of their abilities) Ebola, things are going to be beyond critical within 6mths.

While troubling to our own lives, what concerns me most is that we may see a western preoccupation with preserving itself & as a result the broader international community simply treating it as an African problem & effectively wrapping the continent in Cordon Sanitaire i.e. traditionally a line around the village- no one goes in or out & death to those who try. The premise being that you isolate the hot-spots/outbreaks & you leave the disease & any potential hosts (healthy or otherwise) to essentially die off- natural selection. This is a practice which dates back to the 14th century methods of dealing with Y. Pestis or the Black Plague, & a practice which is vastly chronicled throughout history has being barbaric & largely ineffective given the present & future collateral costs. It damns those under its application & sadly no amount of quarantine is going to stop this one unless the global community commits to tackling the problem in Africa. So long as we continue to act "remotely" the frequency in which Ebola comes knocking at our door will only heighten until eventually it's a genuine domestic issue.

Throw in the brewing & recurring wars of ideology & economics, well, sadly I fear this could very well be the most remarkable time in modern human history for all of the wrong reasons.

Last edited:

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Still way too much hysteria on this subject. The people who have contracted Ebola outside of Africa have all been health workers working directly in contact with victims. They have yet to spread it on.

If you want any evidence as to why this isn't going to be the 'end of days' look at Nigeria. Africa's most populous and overcrowded nation and one with more problems in terms of law and order, poverty, sanitation etc than you can shake a stick at. Ebola spread to Lagos - a city estimated to be over 20million in population- back in July. I initially joked that Ebola wouldn't stand a chance in that hellhole and it would be begging to leave after a week. Turns out I wasn't that wrong

There have been no new cases in the country since the end of August.

If that basket case of a place can control it, I'm pretty sure the rest of the world stand a good chance too.

Beej1

Facts don't sell newspapers/TV ad slots, hysteria does. Ebola will be around for as long as it can be milked.

Trying to imagine what'll be next. Autonomous armed drones running amok?

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Shake, rattle and Roll, that is a bit hysterical. Ebola is not contagious enough to be a contender for an "end of time" scenario. Don't touch an infected person or their bodily fluids and you are safe.

However it is concerning that a staff member in a contagious diseases treatment unit managed to catch it. I'm betting someone should be submitting a major contribution to the fuckwit thread.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
It may not take over the world but if it's not dealt with comprehensively in East Africa soon then I fear we will be living with it for decades.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
To put things in perspective, this epidemic has been going for 7 months. Out of an estimated combined population of 20 million people in Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea there have been around 8,000 confirmed cases and just under 3,900 deaths

That's 8,000 infections out of a pool of over 20,000,000 people over 200+ days. That's only 0.04% of the population.

In comparison there were 15,000 people watching Miley Cyrus in Melbourne the other night.

driftking

Wheel size expert
While this thread evidently shows how slow it has moved it can move quickly.

It may have already been brought up but I didn't read the thread.

Why is quarantine still optional? If you worked with the people which is where the cases are coming from they should have mandatory quarantine.
Its a small price to pay for stopping a virus that has the potential to spread quickly.

Ideate

I like picture shows :washing:

[video=youtube;LJhWVsx1U8c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJhWVsx1U8c[/video]