eBikes - what's the current perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

danthebloke

Likes Dirt
looks sleek.

You still have to pedal,you dont just twist a throttle,so in my book its still MTB .
The more people that buy them, the better they will get.

slowmick

38-39"
If the argument for electric MTBs is they are a gateway to the sport for people with less fitness why do they advertise them with buff athletic types with bike handling skills? i want to see the 400lb bloke with a sandwich in his hand punting up the shuttle road on one in the Sunday paper...

wilso1

Likes Bikes
Mixed......

From an engineering perspective it looks like a neat bit of work. Not that I've ever touched an ebike, but I like that the rider can tailor the engine output to maximise battery life. I'm guessing they would have had to change the valving on the shock though, as the extra weight would affect the sag and riding dynamics.

But whether it is good for mountain biking or not depends on how it is used.
- My son's friend has a muscular issue from birth, and while he has a good go on the kids loop at Wylde, it's a slow process. If this bike means he can keep up with others and enjoy the sport as we do, then I'm all for of them (not sure he could handle a 30kg bike though....)
- If it's bought by a lard arse because they couldn't be frigged getting fit enough to keep up with their mates, then I think we're worse off. I can see that with an ebike, there will be some riders who can now get to the top of a climb that they previously couldn't, which could be a negative too.

If the motor on this bike is mapped to eliminate wheelspin, and combined with fat tyres, there should be minimal additional wear on the trails?

moorey

call me Mia
For the record, I'm not as opposed to E bikes, as I am to the types of people who gravitate towards them. No pun intended.

DeBloot

Feeling old
It's so bloody hard to get any trails approved as it is
The amount of people wanting to ride far outweighs the places to ride in most regions
e bikes would seem to me to make the process even more difficult

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
True power-assist bikes, which require pedalling input for the power unit to function are fine by me. It's the pseudo-motorbikes, and the bogans they attract that are the problem factor.

Last edited:

Ackland

chats d'élevage
If you're going to go that far... why not whack a Pinion gearbox in there while you're at it?

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
From the VitalMTB link above:

Additionally, the extra weight of the bike helps keep it really planted. We took on some pretty scary sections of trail on sight, and without exaggeration, we were quite shocked by just how capable the Levo is. The traction is impressive, and the bike sticks to its line no matter what the trail throws at you.

We found that we could look further ahead and worry less about what's in front of the wheels, letting momentum and grip carry us through sections we would normally expect to pinball. Perhaps the biggest surprise was how playful the bike is. 44-pounds sounds pretty sluggish, but once this bike gets up to speed, that weight translates into momentum that can be used for fun.

See a little root double just after a slow turn? 2 pedal strokes and you can launch over it.
See a big rock step in the middle of the climb? 2 pedal strokes and you can pop right up the face of it.
Want to hit the bonus lines off the side of the trail? No problem, as long as you keep momentum, the bike reacts surprisingly well to rider input, and can be pumped and jumped much like any other good trail bike.

Manualing the bike is however a bit of a chore, both due to the weight and the relatively long chain stays (compared to your normal trail bike).
With regards to power and range, our experience over 2 days showed that the Levo will allow you go much further and higher than you would with a regular mountain bike. This is of course one of the main reasons behind building these bikes in the first place.

However, if you use the bike in proper terrain, you'll soon find that you are getting a real workout too, especially if you leave the bike in Eco mode. The thing is, it pushes you to go further, and to try things you would normally ignore. We rode some fairly epic loops with significant amounts of climbing, and the bike came back from a 5-hour alpine adventure with 20-30% of battery power still left in the tank.

There are more reasons for using Eco mode than just range though: it is actually the most balanced setting, and the one that allows you to really go for the tricky stuff. Turbo mode is too powerful for most climbs, resulting in spin-outs, and even Trail mode has too much for certain situations.

Keep in mind that you are not throttling through stuff, as soon as you stop pedaling, the bike stops pushing, so getting through technical sections whether on the ups or the downs still requires good technique and fitness. You just get more trail for your efforts.

Last edited:

stirk

Burner
Mr Specialized, can I get mine with tail fins and a bubble dome,

oh and a solar charger for those days I take the bike for an e-ride and forgot to charge it, plenty of room in the f-wits thread for those inevitable moments.

Ivan

Eats Squid
a 27.5+, boost 148 e-bike. Heads are gonna explode. I can't afford one, but I wouldn't say no to a freebie.

Status
Not open for further replies.