Ebay buying

ExTrEmE FrEeRiDe

Likes Bikes
this isent so much a biking question persay but does anyone have any ideas how to get stuff of ebay in the states and then get it over here without paying heavily for import duty.
Does it have to be a certain weight or somthing
Any imput would be great thanks.

Last edited:

DARTY18

Likes Bikes
Gettin the sender to declare it as a gift saves heaps on taxes and other costs, ive done it and i dont bother with anything that has to be shipped cause with the currency conversion and shipping put together the price is usually equal to purchasing it in auz

muzza167

Likes Dirt
It is mainly the size that makes it cost more. You could fill a box with foam that is 1m square, or you could have a box filled with lead that is like 25cm square, You would most likely have to pay more for the box filled with foam. It takes up more space in the cargo hold. Correct me if im wrong.

Yeah, as mentioned, declare it as a gift... should save you a bit. All of my experiences buying over eBay from the U.S. have been really good. I ordered a wheelset from there and the postage was something like $60 - $70 express and arrived within 5 working days.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've purchased from the US in the past both via ebay & online stores. I think the general consensus is to use USPS and no UPS (I've never used UPS but it's very unreliable from what I hear and you're alot more likely to get slugged with extra duties and fees of sorts).
From what I know as long as your purchase is under AU $500 then there isn't any extra taxes or costs. I've never been into the over $500 domain.

My US Ebay purchase was a heart rate monitor, in that case the seller did declare it as a gift and I didn't even ask - maybe it saved him extra costs, don't know.

I've purchased stuff off both DropNZone & Speedgoat (both online bike shops) and they declared the stuff as bike parts which they were including their true value (the price I paid for them), postage was around the $30US mark from Speedgoat and generally it depends on the size and weight of your gear, generally it's more cost effective to buy more than one item at a time.

Be pretty careful though scams seem to be alot more rampant with ebay sellers targeting US buyers it seems particularly with bikes / bike parts. If it sounds too good to be true then it probably is, and be very careful if they try to settle outside of ebay & second chance type offers.

If you have the time you will find alot of info about buying from OS in the thread below:

http://www.mtbdirt.com.au/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4629

Drizz

Likes Dirt
yes get them to declare it as a gift or grossly understate the true value.
This is a double edged sword. If you wanted insurance on the item, you will needed to declare the fair value in order to claim anything. I got my laptop from the states and I rather pay the 300-400 bucks worth of duty than to lose $2000+ item.

The value of imports to attract duty was increased to $A1,000.00 ... I think this was increased 2 budgets ago.

Make sure you pay via paypal ... as much of a pain that it is to setup ... as a buyer you pay no fees ... if the seller doesn't have paypal ... then it ain't worth the risk from OS.

USPS is definately cheaper ... but you often don't have a choice on ebay (universalcycles.com is about the only one that allows you to chose).

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
USPS is definately cheaper ... QUOTE]

Oh yeah that too - Speedgoat gives the choice, say if I was buying a E13 bashie for postage I'm looking at:

USPS $32.79
UPS Worldwide Expedited $110.88

and thats US $$

hmmm now which would you choose?!!

So in regards to Ebay if shipping sounds rather expensive and they are using UPS I would tend not to waste my $$.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Gettin the sender to declare it as a gift saves heaps on taxes and other costs, ive done it and i dont bother with anything that has to be shipped cause with the currency conversion and shipping put together the price is usually equal to purchasing it in auz
I'd re-check your addition and calculations if I where you:confused:
Search Farkin for other threads on this topic and I think you will find that you can save considerable $ purchasing online from OS bikestores. Yeah, warranty issues (what issues?), I have no firsthand experience with this to date, but I am willing to accept the 'risk' in order to buy better components that I would not otherwise purchase in OZ due to importer/distributors role in the supply chain and the size of the OZ market resulting in higher prices. For instance, if I shop around, I can get better quality components online, including CC and the cost of shipping, for the approx. the same cost as what I pay for lesser quality components locally. It is a bitch I know for LBS etc, but it is the laws of supply and demand. I still will ask LBS if they can price match for some things, but to be fair, I don't think it would be that easy for most as they are having to factor in the costs passed onto them from distributors.

Why have a dog and bark yourself?

Last edited:

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm sure there's alot of inconsistencies though, on some items you will save heaps on others you're better off going local. Depends what you're buying.

I was after a set of knee shins recently, for that local was equivalent or better than getting a set shipped from OS - we're talking Race Face FR pads etc, and that's buying on line so having to pay postage.

Always best to do your research & shop around.

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
In terms of warranties for over seas purchases, I've bought electronics for an RC car from overseas (which saved about $400). Somehow they motor system died so i got it exchanged on a lifetime limited warranty. The company was fine with me being overseas. I just had to pay postage both ways. Don't know if this applies to bikes but you can quite likely get the warranty for bike parts aswell.