E-biking, lower heart rate & zone 2 questions

cammas

Seamstress
You've got to ride on the flat to train yourself at first, and it doesn't happen overnight.
I have the same issues coupled with mild asthma. Once you go into zone 4 you're done for the rest of the ride.
Sometimes you can overtrain and you won't get the HR down either until you have a good rest.
That ride only has 600mtrs of climbing so pretty flat compared to my other rides, I actually am reasonably fit and as the cardiologist said I’m way fitter than the average 50 year old, just not as fit as I want to be.
I didn’t start riding yesterday either, been riding for 15 years or so on MTBs including racing solo 6 hours etc, my max heart rate is around 210bpm sometimes higher, as I have tachycardia. So to keep my heart lower was either give up riding or get some assistance, hence the e-bike purchase.
I normally don’t share this but I have a condition which usually only affects people with tachycardia who do sustained physical activity for long periods of time ie 6hr solo races, longer rides at high effort or marathon runners etc. It’s called starving for air (it does have a medical term) basically my diaphragm gets a cramp so I can’t get enough air into my lungs so don’t create enough red blood cells meaning I lose all power in my legs and feels like I’m having a heart attack.
As someone who use to race well and did lots of big rides including bike packing and was pretty proud of my efforts, it’s been pretty humiliating to admit that I was to either stop riding all together or get an e-bike. But hey let’s just say “you need to ride more” or the way I’ve read it “your lazy, train more and you won’t need an e-bike” Happy to be told I’m wrong but that’s how I read it.

Flow-Rider

Burner
That ride only has 600mtrs of climbing so pretty flat compared to my other rides, I actually am reasonably fit and as the cardiologist said I’m way fitter than the average 50 year old, just not as fit as I want to be.
I didn’t start riding yesterday either, been riding for 15 years or so on MTBs including racing solo 6 hours etc, my max heart rate is around 210bpm sometimes higher, as I have tachycardia. So to keep my heart lower was either give up riding or get some assistance, hence the e-bike purchase.
I normally don’t share this but I have a condition which usually only affects people with tachycardia who do sustained physical activity for long periods of time ie 6hr solo races, longer rides at high effort or marathon runners etc. It’s called starving for air (it does have a medical term) basically my diaphragm gets a cramp so I can’t get enough air into my lungs so don’t create enough red blood cells meaning I lose all power in my legs and feels like I’m having a heart attack.
As someone who use to race well and did lots of big rides including bike packing and was pretty proud of my efforts, it’s been pretty humiliating to admit that I was to either stop riding all together or get an e-bike. But hey let’s just say “you need to ride more” or the way I’ve read it “your lazy, train more and you won’t need an e-bike” Happy to be told I’m wrong but that’s how I read it.
You asked about zone 2 riding a while back I see you haven't really given it a chance.
Riding in zone 2 is about being lazy, but I don't think even most pro riders would be able to stay in zone 2 on climbs even at a slow pace. Heaps of coffee, over training, life style, and riding when it's too hot are bad for high HRs. Like I've said before it's easier to do zone 2 training on a trainer because you can adjust the load and temperatures, overwise you're constantly stopping to get your HR back down, and even external stresses like riding in traffic pull your HR up. You don't need an ebike to train in zone 2, it's just a personal choice. It helped me personally but everyone is different, I noticed the difference in lower HR after a few weeks and faster recovery times, even when I'm off the bike again for a few months I basically need to start all over again.

I suffer from excessively high HRs as well
hr.PNG

cammas

Seamstress
You asked about zone 2 riding a while back I see you haven't really given it a chance.
Riding in zone 2 is about being lazy, but I don't think even most pro riders would be able to stay in zone 2 on climbs even at a slow pace. Heaps of coffee, over training, life style, and riding when it's too hot and are bad for high HRs. Like I've said before it's easier to do zone 2 training on a trainer because you can adjust the load and temperatures, overwise you're constantly stopping to get your HR back down, and even external stresses like riding in traffic pull your HR up. You don't need an ebike to train in zone 2, it's just a personal choice. It helped me personally but everyone is different, I noticed the difference in lower HR after a few weeks and faster recovery times, even when I'm off the bike again for a few months I basically need to start all over again.

View attachment 406939
Yes I have a trainer and have tried that, as well as days dedicated to keeping it as low as possible over the last 5 years with no changes, so if that’s not giving it enough time I’m not sure what is. Hence why I asked the question here in the e-bike section, if anyone has seen their heart rate drop because if I didn’t get an e-bike I wouldn’t be able to ride.

So no I didn’t just start this when I started this thread, it was basically the last straw of several years of my health getting worse. with other issues I’m not gonna go into here, for me to keep riding. So yes getting an e-bike was the only way to get my heart rate under control.
To me it still sounds like you have a hard on about people riding e-bikes and that’s fine, it’s a personal choice.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Riding in zone 2 is about being lazy, but I don't think even most pro riders would be able to stay in zone 2 on climbs even at a slow pace. Heaps of coffee, over training, life style, and riding when it's too hot are bad for high HRs. Like I've said before it's easier to do zone 2 training on a trainer because you can adjust the load and temperatures, overwise you're constantly stopping to get your HR back down, and even external stresses like riding in traffic pull your HR up. You don't need an ebike to train in zone 2, it's just a personal choice. It helped me personally but everyone is different, I noticed the difference in lower HR after a few weeks and faster recovery times, even when I'm off the bike again for a few months I basically need to start all over again.

View attachment 406939
Most pros can stay in zone 2 on climbs, primarily because their zone 2 power is often well north of 250 watts. Most pros will spend most of their training time (>80%) in zone 2.

Yes, the more you ride, the fitter and stronger you get, particularly with structured training.

But that doesn't account for every situation. There are a myriad of people in cammas' situation, or with other health issues where the standard protocols of health and fitness training do not apply.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Most pros can stay in zone 2 on climbs, primarily because their zone 2 power is often well north of 250 watts. Most pros will spend most of their training time (>80%) in zone 2.

Yes, the more you ride, the fitter and stronger you get, particularly with structured training.

But that doesn't account for every situation. There are a myriad of people in cammas' situation, or with other health issues where the standard protocols of health and fitness training do not apply.
I don't think they do Tour de France climbs in zone 2 but zone 2 is different for most people. Most of the professional coaches I've heard talk about it say to pick flattish and easy rides. It's pretty hard to avoid hills in most capital cities so they get incorporated in most training rides. Zone 2 is something you build yourself up to, it's not going to happen overnight. Just because you've been riding for x amount of years it doesn't mean you're doing it right. My point was if you've got a high heart rate and you want to get it down the last thing you want to be doing is riding hills, of coarse it's going to spike You can get the same results from an acoustic bike as you can with e-bike by lowering your intensity in the ride, whether someone wants to do this is up to themselves, less fun, less fast, less interesting.

rockmoose

I don't think they do Tour de France climbs in zone 2 but zone 2 is different for most people. Most of the professional coaches I've heard talk about it say to pick flattish and easy rides. It's pretty hard to avoid hills in most capital cities so they get incorporated in most training rides. Zone 2 is something you build yourself up to, it's not going to happen overnight. Just because you've been riding for x amount of years it doesn't mean you're doing it right. My point was if you've got a high heart rate and you want to get it down the last thing you want to be doing is riding hills, of coarse it's going to spike You can get the same results from an acoustic bike as you can with e-bike by lowering your intensity in the ride, whether someone wants to do this is up to themselves, less fun, less fast, less interesting.
I will just point out that not many pros are using the TdF as a training ride.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I have done it. But with my gearing, it was brutal on the knees.
Did you make up a training route, say 160w solid then use the +/- to add/subtract power to nail the HR to the top end of Z2 ?

I was going to make one up... looks like it needs to be 2 hours long.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I'm low on bike fitness, and the ebike ride I did on the weekend was like I was fitter on climbs than I have ever been, heart rate would have been higher on the descents I reckon.

If you're riding with people who are not going XC race pace on normal bikes you'll probably be looking to the eco mode to get a workout.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
the ebike ride I did on the weekend was like I was fitter on climbs than I have ever been
What mode did you run, or did you cycle through them a bit? I went up in turbo because I was last out before they were closing up so only tried the other modes briefly. Eco felt similar to riding a normal bike.

rockmoose

Did you make up a training route, say 160w solid then use the +/- to add/subtract power to nail the HR to the top end of Z2 ?

I was going to make one up... looks like it needs to be 2 hours long.
No, I just rode up it, and stayed in Z2.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
No, I just rode up it, and stayed in Z2.
I've just made a workout that's 160w for 2:17, I'll toggle the +/- to fine tune it, that should get me up there without having to worry about gearing.

I reduced my FTP a while back to 237 as I was peaking to draw anything red and Z2 was worked out in watts rather than HR, which was 160bpm for Z2.

Just have to let this steak & spuds settle first :rolleyes:

fdghdfghdf.jpg

rockmoose

I've just made a workout that's 160w for 2:17, I'll toggle the +/- to fine tune it, that should get me up there without having to worry about gearing.

I reduced my FTP a while back to 237 as I was peaking to draw anything red and Z2 was worked out in watts rather than HR, which was 160bpm for Z2.

Just have to let this steak & spuds settle first :rolleyes:

View attachment 408515
Good thinking. Then you can get a nice cadence going, and settle in for some yeti hunting.