DX pedals?

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Hi all

Just wondering what your thoughts are on the Shimano DX flat pedals, or similar alternatives?

I need some new pedals pretty badly, last pair imploded on me, both of them tearing off the spindle, after four months use. :mad:

Preferably nothing too expensive, I'm pretty broke at the moment.

Thanks

RONEY

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ive heard they are strong, but they just look like the plain old common look almost all pedals have, i have got a set of oddyssey twisted pc bmx pedals, they are SUPER strong and they are VERY CHEAP and they come in alot of different colours to atch your frame, i got some green ones for $20, so not exactly going to put a hole in your pocket, but if your into dx then go for it!

Ultra Lord

But there plastic! :eek:

How do they stand up to bashing into rocks?

My mates got them on his BMX and they grip alright, I'm just worried about the fact that there plastic.

RONEY

Likes Bikes and Dirt
But there plastic! :eek:

How do they stand up to bashing into rocks?

My mates got them on his BMX and they grip alright, I'm just worried about the fact that there plastic.
what type bike is this for? i run it on a dirt street bike, they are increadible, they are super strong, i havent had any problems with them in my experiance with them, i have bashed some and all it does is dint in, so what if they are plastic, they have alot of flex and with a meal axle they are as strong on the spindle as metals try them, you wont be dissapoointed

cdfeto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
DXs are very good pedals: strong, light, durable and not too hard on the pocket, and look really good imo. But there are a lot of other good pedals out there - do a search. Might also help if you tell us what you'll be using them for.

http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=136862&highlight=pedals
http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=134771&highlight=pedals
http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=133848&highlight=pedals
http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=131908&highlight=pedals
http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=127345&highlight=pedals

Ultra Lord

Shit, my bad.

Um, they'l be going on my Cowan, and I'm a hack. They'll be used for everything. A bit general I know, but how am I suposed to pigeon hole someone who does a bit of street, some downhill, races the odd 4x, rides road, goes for day long trecks through the bush AND messes around on the dj's? :confused:

sharp

like a spoon
i got a pair just a couple of weeks ago and the first ride was a single track heaven in spring gully AND IT WAS UBER MUDDY AND WET!! and my feet not once slipped off these babies and mind you twas really rocky to. also apparently no-one has managed to kill a pair quoted from revo mag. Dont get plastic pedals i mean, Really:( i got mine from The bike shed mortdale over the net. they do really good deals and got mine a good 50 bucks off.:D

Steepy

Likes Dirt
I've had a pair for a couple of months now and I love them, I haven't had any problems with slipping off them yet and they come with a set of long and short pins so you can customise your setup.

The body of the pedals is nice and strong but the pins are a little bit wimpy and are easily smashed off if you so much as tap them on a rock but they come with plenty of spares and are easily replaced so that's not too much of an issue.

backdoor

Likes Bikes
dx

Had mine for 12months and will probably have them for another 12. Bash them regularly with little damage. They still spin like a drunk 15yr old and have loads of bite... Do it, get some.

kholden_1992

Likes Dirt
Shit, my bad.

Um, they'l be going on my Cowan, and I'm a hack. They'll be used for everything. A bit general I know, but how am I suposed to pigeon hole someone who does a bit of street, some downhill, races the odd 4x, rides road, goes for day long trecks through the bush AND messes around on the dj's? :confused:
wow my friend has had the same problem with his 08 cowan

he got some flates pedals made by funn

Burrito_Boy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bit of a trick for sweet traction on the dx pedals, is alternate the pins long and short around the outer of the pedal body, and then the short pin in the centre.

Grips like the proverbial shite to a blankey...
Or just rock fun pedals;)

_Ajax_

Likes Dirt
I think Chris Southwood had a set on his dh bike and they survived a whole summer at Whistler without any play and didnt bend either.

It was in AMB a few issues back.

RONEY

Likes Bikes and Dirt
First plastic pedals are strong but to an extent. I have seen them hit the ground and they just implode on them selves and they are deadly when there are missing bits of plastic on them. DON'T GET PLASTIC PEDALS.
ive run some on my bmx for awhile, absloutly fine!! not a problem,
-cheap
-grippy
-strong
why not, but for everyone that thinks about what others think and not what isn't as common heres some metal ones for all the disgregarders of plastic's

shits on dx i rekon

sharp

like a spoon
ive run some on my bmx for awhile, absloutly fine!! not a problem,
-cheap
-grippy
-strong
why not, but for everyone that thinks about what others think and not what isn't as common heres some metal ones for all the disgregarders of plastic's

shits on dx i rekon
i dont, dx are the shiz

Lorday

Eats Squid
...but how am I suposed to pigeon hole someone who does a bit of street, some downhill, races the odd 4x, rides road, goes for day long trecks through the bush AND messes around on the dj's? :confused:
You sound like you rock the same riding style as me. In this case, mosh bikes make an awsome BMX pedal. $30-$40 depending on your LBS. All I got say is that these thing are the bees knees!

..he got some flates pedals made by funn
Called: Souljams

ziegs

Cannon Fodder
probably too late to add anything of value but i've had my dx's for a while and they're brilliant. i'm still on the novice end of intermediate and they're big enough to give you plenty of confidence and tough enough to compensate for stupid mistakes...

no nonsense pedals that just do what they're suppose to