DVD burning and upgrading, share your knowledge.

wtr

Likes Dirt
Thought I might share a little beauty that's been working brilliantly for me.;)

I recently flashed my Pioneer DVR-110D drive with the latest the Pioneer site has to offer (version 1.37), and am very happy about the bonus speed that I'm getting with the 8x discs I'm using. :)

The files on the that link page contains the older version of the firmware (version 1.22), so instead of the old one, the new 1.37 can be found from here .

To do any of this, you must be able to know how to change directories while in DOS prompt.
# Going into a directory/folder. E.g: C:\cd *folder name* (*if folder name exceeds 8 letters, type the first 6 letters following "~1", e.g: "C:\cd progra~1" to get into "program files" on your C drive.)
# Going back one directory/folder before. E.g: C:\cd ..
# Know the letter to your pioneer dvd drive. E.g D:\

1)Basically, extract the "DVRFlash_v2.2_win32.zip" into a folder on you C drive, rename the folder to a shorter name so that you can easily type it in the prompt. (6 files)
2)Extract the file you've downloaded from the pioneer site into the same folder as before. (3 files)
3)Run your MS-DOS prompt, and get into the directory that the files are in. (e.g: c:\dvra10\)
4)CAREFULLY, WITHOUT DROPPING OUT ONE SINGLE LETTER, TYPE: dvrflash -ff RB100011.137 RB100111.137
5) Press "Y" for "yes", then once more again.
6) Wait for 35 seconds
7) Done! Now you can make your DVR-110D perform the "same" as a more expensive DVR-A10XLA, that can also take DVD ram disks. :)

*Disclaimer: if you managed to somehow muck this up, I'm not responsible for a new drive that needs to be purchased. But it's not like as if you can fail following simple instructions, or can you...:eek:*

ride_hard199

Likes Dirt
dammmit!!

i was thinking *awesome i can do this to mine and make it faster*

turns out i have a dvr a10xla :eek:

whats the price difference between these two drives?

cheese

Likes Dirt
I know nothing of DIY firmware upgrades but I do know of a kick ass free DVD ripping program for OSX called 'mac the ripper'. You can rip pretty much any part of the movie or the whole thing. From there just make a new DVD in toast or finder and shove the VIDEO_TS folder in there plus an empty AUDIO_TS and you are sorted.

wtr

Likes Dirt
Region removal: AnyDVD
Compilation: Nero
ISO: CloneDVD2, DVDXPlatnium

Happy days.:)

ride_hard199: dvr a10xla - aftermarket, and has a different spindle mechanism and comes with all the goodies already. DVR 110d on the other hand is OEM that comes without the goodies unless you flash the firmware. Both drives has the same amount of buffer memory (2mb) and be purchased at the weekly computer market(melbourne only) and in shops. The a10xla retails for $99, but can be as cheap as the 110d if you look around(<$65).