Dropper posts and workstands. What's your approach?

stirk

Burner
Good thread, I clamp on the dropper lower and a little on the collar and it shits me, I like the Yakima solution as with many modern bikes the top tube is large and angled so getting a grip on it is impossible.

Best place to buy the yamika?

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I clamp my bike on the dropper post collar. If you're that much of a gumby that you think you'll squash it then you shouldn't be working on a bike in the first place.
It seems crazy to me that people are concerned about damaging the dropper post but are happy to clamp the top tube?

Minlak

custom titis
Color me confused :baby:

I have only ever clamped my bikes by the top tube. I have never broken a top tube but have set fire to many parts elsewhere on the bike. Are we saying it shouldn't be clamped on the top tube? I have clamped both carbon and aluminum this way never with negative effect. Google images shows thousands of bikes clamped this way.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Color me confused :baby:

I have only ever clamped my bikes by the top tube. I have never broken a top tube but have set fire to many parts elsewhere on the bike. Are we saying it shouldn't be clamped on the top tube? I have clamped both carbon and aluminum this way never with negative effect. Google images shows thousands of bikes clamped this way.
Meh... dont worry about it.
Some people have too much time on their hands :bathbaby:

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Meh... dont worry about it.
Some people have too much time on their hands :bathbaby:
My sentiments exactly. If it works for you and you've had no problems then stay with it.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've just bought the cycling deal one, wish i'd noticed that elegant solution before! Someone know where I can get a cheap "handlebar holder" for cheaper than the $50 park tool and I'll be all set.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I've just bought the cycling deal one, wish i'd noticed that elegant solution before! Someone know where I can get a cheap "handlebar holder" for cheaper than the $50 park tool and I'll be all set.
Grab a bit of 6mm rod and bend one up at home. Wrap it in your favorite colour and you're set. ;) I have the Park Tool one and had to have a second one so I did what I suggested and it works just fine for about $10.

stirk

Burner
I clamp my bike on the dropper post collar. If you're that much of a gumby that you think you'll squash it then you shouldn't be working on a bike in the first place.
It seems crazy to me that people are concerned about damaging the dropper post but are happy to clamp the top tube?
Agreed, if you worry about over clamping your likely to use too much torque and strip threads!

The two reasons clamping on the dropper collar or even any seat post is annoying to me is firstly the clamp is half on the collar and half on the tube so the clamp jaws are not parallel, and second the bike is sitting on the front wheel as the stand can't hold the bike straight with both wheels off the ground.

Is any of this important in the grand scheme of things?

Nah

Most work I do I'm man handling the bike on the ground!

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
You also run a quick release clamp with your dropper post. You must have a very good reason for this...
Laziness. It was on the frame when I bought it so I dropped the post in and was done. :Banane34: