Dropper posts and workstands. What's your approach?

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Back in the day you just clamped your bike into a workstand by the seat post. Now you can't. What's your solution?

Ivan

Eats Squid
I gently clamp the top tube.

I never apply any serious force to the bike whilst it's in a work stand, so damaging the bike is not an issue for me.

goobags

Likes Dirt
Yep top tube for me. Find the balance point before clamping it down so you only need minimal force. Then try and remember that it's only lightly clamped when you tank a wheel off and the CoG changes....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
For my bike? Around the stub of the seatpost and the collar because there's enough post sticking out. When my new 150mm dropper turns up (sometime), I'll probably have a touch of slack in the cable so I can pull the post up.

I never liked clamping toptubes, I avoid it if I can - but I agree with the consensus here, lightly as she goes if you do. Seatpost if possible, then seat tube, then toptube last resort (in my book, which is certainly no Zinn)

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't clamp the bike unless i have to have it vertical. For horizontal - i just rest the nose of the seat on top of the clamp, doesn't move.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
What's the issue clamping the top tube? Or are you all referring to clamping a carbon frame?

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
The top tube is typically thinner than you might imagine...and alloy frames are more susceptible than carbon to clamping forces.

One option is a roadie style workstand where the bike is clamped by the fork and sits on its rear wheel. Feedback Sports does this sort of thing

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
I generally wrap a rag around the dropper post and clamp over that, and avoiding putting big forces on the bike in the stand. However, if there's enough hose and seatpost left, I feed it back up into the frame, (sometimes undoing the remote to do this), raise the seat post enough to clamp properly over the lower half. Never clamp a frame directly; it's unprofessional, can damage paint/decals/risk crushing thin tubes which aren't meant to take that kind of force, etc. Just the way I was taught.

If it's got a dropper post, it's more than likely got a pressfit BB thesedays, so you generally don't need to reef things as much on modern MTBs to get them undone.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I gently clamp the top tube.

I never apply any serious force to the bike whilst it's in a work stand, so damaging the bike is not an issue for me.
Works for me. If I need to apply serious grunt to the bike for extracting threaded bottom brackets, the bike stands on its wheels on the floor.

madstace

Likes Dirt
I have a Giant dropper post externally routed. I slam the seat, raise enough of the post out of the frame for the stand to grab. The "G" on the post is my marker for the height I run the post at, so it's not much hassle to do it when putting the bike on the stand as it always goes back to the same spot.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
One option is a roadie style workstand where the bike is clamped by the fork and sits on its rear wheel. Feedback Sports does this sort of thing
Actually usually sits in a cradle at the BB, clamped by the fork, so the rear wheel is floating (or vice versa). Just make sure they have the right axle adapters (QR, 15mm, 12mm, 20mm if that is what you run)
Scorpion stand looks like a good alternative, as it uses the crank axle. Sure = no good for a full strip and rebuild, but I can move my post up (or remove and fit an ally one) for the serious wrenching work in my Feedback pro

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Always clamped on the balance point of the top tube, just firm enough that it doesn't go swaying or twisting... even on the DH bike which doesn't have a dropper.

I don't have girly plastic frames though.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Yep top tube for me. Find the balance point before clamping it down so you only need minimal force. Then try and remember that it's only lightly clamped when you tank a wheel off and the CoG changes....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah me too. Been doing it for years and never had a problem