Drop some weight

ChopSticks

Banned
Thanks for your tips Chops.
Over the next few days I will go through thread and list my proposed changes / replacements and see what sort of weight saving will be made.

Keep posting ideas peeps!
Happy to help a fellow weenie! Lol
im 99% sure every possible weigh loss component has bee listed

Other ideas include ti spindles for your Shimano pedals (think it saves 50grams?)
the other thing I've seen is a expansion plug used to load up the headset before stem pinch bolts are tightened, and expansion plug/top cap is then removed completely. That will save you the weight of top cap, bolt and star nut. Had a discussion with an un-named weenie on here and came to the conclusion this would be a last resort sort of hack.... A crash or otb that causes bars to bend means a less than ideal fix on the trail.
you could also consider chopping a star nut in half and using either the top or bottom flange.

I think that makes 99.99% of potential weight loss ideas! Good luck and keep us posted!

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Kcnc pro lite 400mm post 187g, $100 ebay, sell yours $50, that's $50 for 75g

You've got about the same weight in the cassette to save, you can save 100g for less than a hundred bucks on the bars as well.

Saddle is the other one where 70 or 80g can be saved as well

Maybe 60g in total for a cheapie rear skewer and a German 15mm front.

On a cost minimisation basis, that's what I would do - over 400g for around $500. The only one that us less reliable is one of those tune copy rear skewers

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Carbon Lefty FTW.
I think if you are going to go as far as changing forks go as light as you can with a Carbon Lefty or WC version of the Sid.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Fair price.

Take your fox forks off and weigh them first. That xx will be 1740 g including remote ( well, at least mine was)
Will weigh the fox fork. Changing fork wasn't something I was planning straight away. Just happened to stumble upon this.

Carbon Lefty FTW.
I think if you are going to go as far as changing forks go as light as you can with a Carbon Lefty or WC version of the Sid.
Lefty, I look at it and think of a car driving around with 3 wheels.

fletchog

Likes Dirt
I will also sing praise for Roval control sl wheels. I'm 90kg and have ridden mine for over 12mths and they are still true and im not the most skilled or smoothest rider out there. never weighed them but think i remember something like 1350g writen somewhere in the info that came in the box.
I have a 19" Superfly 100 that weighs a tad under 11kg. Mods from std are 10spd XO rear with gripshifters, enve 710mm bars, syntace P6 post, selle italia flight carbonio.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Carbon Lefty FTW.
+1

It holds its line better than any 32mm twin stanchion XC fork I've ridden. Very light too but given a choice I'd have it on all my rided even if it weighed more.

I know it looks odd to some, I can very easily live with it...

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I would consider a carbon Lefty and lighter wheels as a better value option than the RF Next crankset...but not by much!!

Thread is handy though as I often have the same weight weenie thoughts about my alloy 2011 Anthem...and this thread is curing them with the perception of financial pain. I think I might wait for the Anthem frame to fail, sell the parts and use the funds to put a Lefty and Next on the Twinzer... :mmph:

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Carbon Lefty and lighter wheels will be $2.5k. That's a lot to spend on an XT level bike.
I know, should have stuck with running.....but where is the fun in that.
Considered selling the bike, then going all out on a top of the range dually. I think upgrading will work out best.

Last edited:

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I know, should have stuck with running.....but where is the fun in that.
Considered selling the bike, then going all out on a top of the range dually. I think upgrading will work out best.
Not sure it will mate. You can score up to 20% off on selected 2014 models in run-out mode at the moment... Upgrading is more fun though. :)

ChopSticks

Banned
1.65KG for an 80mm fork psht..... Chops.... I'm ashamed of you
Never looked into leftys
so I got no clue if that fork is any good?

do they come out every year?

for the price of a lefty... You might aswell buy a rev
and use the left over for other bits imo

Ackland

chats d'élevage
I think that trying to put lipstick on the proverbial pig (Alloy frame) as per Chopper's SB66 is going to hold you back without going crazy with spending....

You should consider what/if any real benefit you'll get and how the weight of the parts will effect the serviceability/durability....

I'm not one to talk but my bling build uses Syntace cockpit parts for the reason that they're not amazingly light, but I'll break before they do.

I went down the road of looking at Tune/AX Lightness/Schmolke for bar/stem/post and they just weren't worth it.

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think that trying to put lipstick on the proverbial pig (Alloy frame) as per Chopper's SB66 is going to hold you back without going crazy with spending....

You should consider what/if any real benefit you'll get and how the weight of the parts will effect the serviceability/durability....

I'm not one to talk but my bling build uses Syntace cockpit parts for the reason that they're not amazingly light, but I'll break before they do.

I went down the road of looking at Tune/AX Lightness/Schmolke for bar/stem/post and they just weren't worth it.
The front triangle is composite isn't it?