Drop some weight

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Looking to drop some weight on my anthem. Currently, the bike weighs in at 11.32kg as pictured below (with wolftooth 1 x 10 set up). Would love to get it around the 10kg mark, similar to my 29 hardtail.

Anthem.JPG

Items I am looking to upgrade at this stage are:
- Wheels
- Seatpost
- Saddle
- Handlebars. Most likely to be Syntace Vector Low 10, to get the bars a bit lower. http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/vector-carbon-low-10-8-680mm-31,8-70021
- Cassette to an 11-36 XT with one up 42 cog and rad cage. Not to drop weight but increase gear range. Would there be much weight saving going to XX1?

Open to other suggestions / ideas.

Last edited:

creaky

XMAS Plumper
The current weight is surprisingly good. Anything under 11kg for a dually is decent and will start costing truckloads to go down much more.

I weighed the parts changeover from full XT 2x10 to X01 as a hair under 600g. You would probably save around 300g if you are currently 1x10 ??

Syntace bars have a nice ride quality but are not the lightest out there if that is your goal.

As you seem to be doing, unless you want to spring for 1x11 straight up, I'd focus on wheels and contact points first then think about other things.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Check out steves crankset in his new toy build thread surely there are some grams there....
About 200g over the current setup I reckon .... For 500 smackers. Personally, I'd spent that on half an X01 groupset, avoid the GC cost and flog off the old drivetrain to help fund the x01.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
For 11 speed, you need compatible hubs, and I cannot tell what wheels they are.

Search up the weight on the wheelset and figure out whether you can find 300g there. The saddle looks heavy to me as well, weigh it.

The weight saving on xx1 to xt single is mainly in the crankset . Sram carbon cranks really are a pretty lightweight kit. Carbon bars about 130g is as low as you can get ( reasonably), 110g for a 90mm stem, 120g for a seat ( tune speed needle), really nothing to gain in a seatpost for you - maybe a kcnc scandium.

Look into the quality and weight of your wheelset, my last giant had a 2150g wheelset (29er) so upgrading wheels was a no brainer and made a clear difference - it might not be worthwhile if the wheelset is circa 1800g.

While x01 will save you very little , it at least will give you other things - one of those however will be an abject fear of wearing out your cassette. ;)

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
There is your first mistake, it has pedals :tsk: HS1 or HSXX rotors, carbon post, Short derailleur.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For the sake of pure weight saving, a set of stans wheels will get you half way there without any effort.
You could then change our your tyres to racing Ralph's/Ikons/Fast Trak's etc and shave another decent chunk.
The saddle should net you a relatively good gain if you can find one that you like.

It's all dependent on your willingness to spend, but you'd be able to shave 8-900g without any real effort.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Check out steves crankset in his new toy build thread surely there are some grams there....
May look at cranks further down the track, may end up going XX1 - X01

For 11 speed, you need compatible hubs, and I cannot tell what wheels they are.
Wheels are the original Giant PX whatever. Setup tubeless, but are heavier than the TWE set on my hardtail.

110g for a 90mm stem,
Wheels are the original Giant PX whatever. Setup tubeless, but are heavier than the TWE set on my hardtail.
Forks are OD2 :-( so not really much I can do about the stem. I have replaced the original 90mm to a 100mm. Would like to know if there are other options out there? My google searching hasn't really come up with anything.

wheels, get some LB carbons
I will look more into these. Seem to get good reviews. Any recommendations out there for the 29 wheel size?

There is your first mistake, it has pedals :tsk: HS1 or HSXX rotors, carbon post, Short derailleur.
Weight is probably around the 11kg mark with out pedals......unfortunately, I have feet.

I will weigh & list current parts tonight.

Last edited:

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
For the sake of pure weight saving, a set of stans wheels will get you half way there without any effort.
You could then change our your tyres to racing Ralph's/Ikons/Fast Trak's etc and shave another decent chunk.
The saddle should net you a relatively good gain if you can find one that you like.

It's all dependent on your willingness to spend, but you'd be able to shave 8-900g without any real effort.
Have new EXO Ikons ready to go

Are these wheels a good deal, or are there better options:
http://www.pushys.com.au/stan-s-notubes-race-gold-3-30ti-29er-qr-front-rear-mtb-wheelset-2013.html
Very light but concerned about maintenance. Mixed reviews out there about these...

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dropping some weight should be pretty easy, here is a couple of things I can see: (in rough order of cost/gram)
1) Lighter Saddle.
2) Lighter wheels.
3) Lighter cassette.
4) Lighter seat-post.
5) Go tubeless of you haven't already.
6) Lighter Stem/bars.

Any more then that, you really start to get into the $$ stuff, for no real weight saving.

jp80

Likes Bikes
I just built a pair of LB hookless 27mm 29er rims into Hopes with DT revs. Came out at 1510g. I think theyre good, people say theyre stiff enough to track well but not super harsh like "overstiff" carbon. I dunno. But they feel better (more direct steering, I guess) than the crests they replaced. I think LB will do a set of hopes with pillar spokes to these rims for $850 or so delivered.

Thomson do stems that fit OD2 steerers, but unlikely to save any weight with them.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
wheels and tyres will be the noticeable difference. i dare say the rest you will only notice a weight difference in your wallet.

wheels - LB on novatec will give you a nice reasonably priced upgrade, and are XD compatible if you want to turn it up to 11 later.

if the saddle is comfy, leave it.. or find a Ti railed version, etc.

seatpost - thomson are actually quite light. my thomson post is lighter than my carbon post.

handlebars id recommend carbon if you're going to upgrade. not for the weight, but the reduced vibrations is lovely.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
+1 on the lighter wheels. Stans Gold is a solid option for under $1000 --> http://www.notubes.com/ZTR-29er-Race-Gold-Wheelset-P782.aspx
Claimed Weight is 1390 grams.

I've got a used 2012 S-Works XC carbon handlebar (8º back sweep, 31.8mm) if you're interested. They are scratched but they are not cracked, etc. I am guessing it will be lighter then the bar on your current setup?

They are cut down to 640mm (I think - I need to check).

Last edited:

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A good start is to strip the bike and weigh everything, find out where all the weight is hiding.

It is easy enough to find out weights of stuff online these days and a lot of people on here have been finding great deals around the world.

Not sure if you said how much you weigh?

What budget do you have?

I prefer to get best stuff I can because otherwise 3 months later I am looking at upgrades again.

re wheels I would steer clear of Race Golds. I bought a used bike with a set and sold them without even riding them.
77kg limit but factor in camelback etc and you really need to be under 72kg. Softek tacoed a set and he is skinny as... (my mate that bought my wheels also tacoed the front).

IMO wheels are worth some time and money. A good set should last 3-5 years. Carbon rims are the go for light wheels so then the question is hubs. I bought a set of Stans wheels for $200 to use the hubs -3.30 Ti which are lighter than DT240s. Hope are solid hubs but not light. Novotec are lighter but mixed reviews and zero resale value, DT240s, Tune Prince? consider the cost of XD driver in future updates some like Tune are quite expensive....
Finally spokes- go bladed for carbon because they can take a lot of tension and with bladed you can stop them twisting with very high tension. CX ray can be found for a good price.
Consider throwing all your money on a set of 1400g wheels which you can move onto your next bikes.

I am surprised no one mentioned the Fox boat anchor, RS SID (alloy steerer) will drop around 250-300g

Bar- Ritchey super logic carbon- 150g, 10mm drop

Saddle- try the Specialized Romin or Phenom, carbon rails- around 160g

Post- can't go past Thomson- Masterpiece- should drop 60g

Stem- KCNC or the the new Ritchey C260 will drop 30-40g

Crank arms are another part that should last years so why no invest in some weight saving there- RF Next arms can be had for around $350.

going 11 won't save you any weight except in the cass which then costs $s every time you replace it. How ever if you want more gear range you won't get close to 10-42 with a 10 speed....

Tyres often tend to be a compromise. I love Racing Ralphs for low weight, fast, pretty good grip but they are always a gamble with thin side walls....

and if you are using a clutched RD you probably don't need that chain stay protector.....

OT

Likes Dirt
Are these wheels a good deal, or are there better options:
http://www.pushys.com.au/stan-s-notubes-race-gold-3-30ti-29er-qr-front-rear-mtb-wheelset-2013.html
Very light but concerned about maintenance. Mixed reviews out there about these...
I have a set but have only used them for the otway 100 and about a months worth of riding. They aren't my everyday wheel set and I only use them for racing or if I have problems with my other wheels. They have a weight limit of about 80kg, I'm 72kg and they have held up fine so far. With sworks renegades on them they are incredibly fast.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Thanks Steve, some good stuff there......been keeping an eye on your thread, looking forward to the final build :pop2:

Me, I hover around 70kg.
No budget, but not going crazy on things like a $3k set of Enve's
The race golds had question marks over them and you have confirmed that. Most likely go with LB carbons or TWE.

Fork is OD2. If I was to replace this with a standard taper steerer, do I run into other problems? Or do I just insert a new headset?
If only I knew more about OD2 when I purchased the bike. The OD2 is a real pain in the ass when it comes to stems. Plus, if I replace the fork, is anyone going to want to buy an OD2 fork?

Drive train I am still thinking about. Sell off the current XT gear and go with new 1 x 11? Replacing of expensive cassette etc, doesn't bother me to much as bike will only be used for racing.

Anyway, will weigh bits tonight...

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Thanks Steve, some good stuff there......been keeping an eye on your thread, looking forward to the final build :pop2:

Me, I hover around 70kg.
The race golds had question marks over them and you have confirmed that. Most likely go with LB carbons or TWE.

Fork is OD2. If I was to replace this with a standard taper steerer, do I run into other problems? Or do I just insert a new headset?
If only I knew more about OD2 when I purchased the bike. The OD2 is a real pain in the ass when it comes to stems. Plus, if I replace the fork, is anyone going to want to buy an OD2 fork?

Drive train I am still thinking about. Sell off the current XT gear and go with new 1 x 11? Replacing of expensive cassette etc, doesn't bother me to much as bike will only be used for racing.

Anyway, will weigh bits tonight...
Steve has some really valid points, weigh everything and go from there.

Forks and wheels would be my first port of call and where you will see and feel most gains.
Its more than just losing weight, its where the weight is lost from. Rotating mass of wheels and heavy forks will make a huge difference to how the bike "feels" to ride.

You can replace your headset to suit a traditional tapered steerer. If you had the money I would be looking at some RS SID XX WC or some DT Swiss forks, light (both around 1500g) and stiff.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Me, I hover around 70kg.
Another wheel to consider is the Roval Control SL (carbon). Ridden the 2012, 2013 versions (and about to get the 2015 versions) and very happy with them.

A few guys I ride with have also got onto the CurveCycling wheels and like them, although I have not used them myself.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd avoid the race golds if possible, they'll cause more headaches than the weight saving is worth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk