Driving the Nullarbor

NCR600

Likes Dirt
Anyone done it?

I've got to get to a wedding in Perth on the 5th of July, and stupidly would like to drive myself and my lady-friend across the country instead of taking the soft option and flying.

I figure I can do it comfortably in 4 days, but I'm prepared to take longer if needs be. I'm comfortable with driving long distances (longest single day so far was Adelaide-Sydney) and have a fast, modern and comfortable vee-hick-le, that will do 700 odd kms to a tank.

I need to know where I can get fuel, comfortable lodgings (not camping. it's too much trouble, and if I'm going to be doing 1000km days, I want to be well rested) and food.

I reckon the first day would be Sydney-Broken Hill or thereabouts, and day two would see me to Ceduna, but after that I'm stumped. Can I get fuel at intervals of around 600kms past here?

Any tips, tricks and insider knowledge greatfully recieved!

Binaural

Eats Squid
Nothing really useful to add, but a colleague of mine did it on a motorbike and claimed he had to throw the tyres away in perth as they'd had a really obnoxious flat spot worn on them 4000km of minimal turning later....

smeck

Likes Dirt
You should be comfortable in 4 days, but it won't be fun. There's nothing to see except the sheer spectacle of nothing, which is actually pretty cool in its own right. There are heaps of towns so there is no shortage of fuel, but they vary from 100km to 200km apart. It comes down to how close you want to get to your 700km range. Its only about 1200km from Ceduna to Norseman, and then a short 700km or so to Perth, so its easily achievable. I'd being aiming to stay in Norseman, the towns along the highway are little more than a service station and not real flash, especially with a lady friend involved. There is also nothing to see, so sitting on the "speed limit" won't deprive you of seeing the sights, especially in the 150km odd stretch with no corners, followed by another stretch with no corners. Expect to be paying over $1.70/l for fuel across the centre, and probably more in a few spots. First rule of long trips through remote places, never drive past cheap fuel. Anybody calling Microsoft a monopoliser needs to visit the only service station in a remote place. Some remote fuel stops will close at night (shouldn't be a issue for you), they will open for you but expect to pay a charitable fee.

My long trips generally get broken up into 300-450km legs, its far enough to actually get somewhere but not so far that you get fatigued quickly. I stop, fill up, get a bite to eat and something cold from the fridge. That said, I'm a big fan of staying on the road and ticking off the km's, women generally prefer to stop every two hours for a half hour toilet break and you never seem to get anywhere. Even at 1000km a day you'll spend a good 12 hours on the road. Tips, try to eat healthy when you can, greasy food is quick and easy but after a few days on the road you lose energy and concentration. Good lights are a must, you will find yourself on the road at night and good lights make it heaps easier to stay alert. Take a wide variety of music, you've got 50hrs in the car ahead of you. I hope you have cruise control and good A/C, they make a difference on long drives.

Last edited:

daever

lunatic rant extraordinaire
I Drove from Perth to Adelaide then to Brisbane which took me through the Nullasnore. Its a pretty easy drive and theres no shortage of fuel stops. When it gets dark, alot of goats and Roo's are out and about and on the roads so be careful if you intend on driving in in the evening. If your going to stop somewhere, plan ahead and get there before they close so you don't have to sleep in a car like i did.

I don't remember where I stopped, but I think we just went straight through to Madura non stop from Perth and then Port Augusta before going to Adelaide. It gets scenic towards the coastline (which is right in the middle of the Eyre Hwy). Other than that its just goes between barren and bushland non stop. Oooo, and once i saw a huge eagle eating a dead Roo! It was the biggest eagle I've seen.

Things to bring with you:

iPod/Entertainment.
Water.
Spares.
Electric cooler.
Flashlight.
Camera.
T.P.
Ear muffs (driving with a woman).

Also, get a car GPS if you don't have one already, They Usually have info about lodging and fuel stops for you anyway.

Have fun!

Shredden

Knows his goats
When we were travelling around Australia, we counted 226 kangaroos (dead) on the side of the road along the nullarbor.... like every second truck had blood splattered up the windscreen...

Jon

Not Grip, OK... So don't ask!
Seriously, what about the Indian Pacific Train?
Goes through in 3 days of luxury, well however much luxury you can get on a train.

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What everyone pretty much said... One other suggestion is don't stay at Cocklebiddy.. the road houses are pretty basic all along the way but Cocklebiddy is a bit dire...drive the extra 40km to the next one.

Avoid driving at night due to the large number of kangaroos.

Also don't bother trying to push your speed too much.. just sit comfortably on 110km/hr and just grin and bear it. You won't get tired as quickly.

If you can follow a truck while heading west it will also save you some fuel. They are on cruise so you can usually match your speeds easily.

The train is a great option.. I love the train, but it is expensive especially if you are travelling in anything other than third class. 1st class is fantastic but it does cost a fortune.

Nullabour at dusk is magic so make sure you stop and experience the place as much a spossible.

mlsred

Likes Dirt
I've done it in a car (not me driving) and my dad did it on his 1300 yamaha, it's worth doing even just for the wank factor of "I drove across the Nullabor plains" sorry I can't really tell you anything about where to stop etc etc because I wasn't really paying attention, but I can tell you we did stay in a hotel or something similiar every night, we unded up doing it 4 days.

Just for bragging rights can anyone beat this? dad rode across the Nullabor Melbourne to perth in 2 days on a 1969 triumph trident.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pictures sum it up imo. Look out for random cyclists/lost power walkers and offer some encouragement

Don't hit these.jpg

Fucking Kangaroo's.jpg

Hey Cletus lets save some fuel.jpg

Pirate  Dingos demanding Smacko's.jpg

Speedbump goats.jpg

Secret Spot 2.jpg

Your fucket Hogget.jpg

Secret Spot.jpg

Don't hit these.jpg

Fucking Kangaroo's.jpg

Hey Cletus lets save some fuel.jpg

Last edited:

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pictures sum it up imo. Look out for random cyclists and offer some encouragement
I actually met a travel weary cyclist just about to leave Norseman once... man he was spacey, I think from just being in his own thoughts for so long. I don't know where he had originally riden from either.

He asked about how much water was in the tanks, I said I didn't know and he just nodded and went back to contemplation and then set off.

Maybe best to offer them water. :)

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I actually met a travel weary cyclist just about to leave Norseman once... man he was spacey, I think from just being in his own thoughts for so long. I don't know where he had originally riden from either.

He asked about how much water was in the tanks, I said I didn't know and he just nodded and went back to contemplation and then set off.

Maybe best to offer them water. :)
Good Thinking 99. I met a couple in Broome who were walking around Australia!

Avoid anyone who looks like they might have served time..........as a host on PlaySchool;)

MasterOfReality

After forever
Sydney to Broken Hill in a day might be pushing it unless you leave really early in the morning (like 3am to avoid nightlife in the afternoon).

I used to drive the Wollongong to Cobar stretch quite regularly. 750 km in around 8 hours.

There is a short cut that takes you around Mudgee. Its longer in distance but gets you to Dubbo in shorter time. I can't remember how to do it as its not signposted and you have to take local backroads.

Depending on what time in the morning you leave you might cop the school traffic in the Blue Mountains which is infuriating.

Also, consider you will be getting to Cobar in the afternoon and the wildlife is real friendly around then. The afternoon sun is a bitch as you are driving straight into it on a dead straight road for hours on end.

IIRC, Broken Hill is another 4 hours west of Cobar...

henryg

Likes Dirt
I recently drove from Melbourne to Perth, I did it in three days by myself (go the 82 'rolla!!). I got to the end of the first day and thought 'can't be fukked doing this for four days...'

Tips? Dont drive without sunlight, the roos claim a lot of people. There was no shortage of fuel for me, just be prepared to spend $1.77/L..

Good luck, defiantly one of the most beautiful parts of Australia in my opinion.

conor.1

Genetic Throwback
try and do it in reverse for as much as you can. thatd be pretty cool. make sure you have entertainment!

NCR600

Likes Dirt
I plan to listen to Sleep's 64 minute long "Dopesmoker" for at least 5 hours solid on the Nullarbor to see what happens. I'm betting the fabric of the time/space continuum tears open and I dissapear into another dimension!

Decided to take it easy on the way out with a stop at Dubbo, and then Broken hill, mostly because I don't want to stop at Nyngan, Cobar or Wilcannia. Then I'm going to head to Ceduna, and possibly across the Nullarbor to Norseman for 1200 k's. This is the only stretch I'm concerned about, but there's a few places to stop if it gets too tough. Then from Norseman (or where ever) to Perth. I'll try to do the trip back in 4 days and drive from Broken Hill to Sydney in one hit, because I reckon the roos won't be too bad from Orange to Sydney, which will probably bee in the dark.

Cheers for the good advice. I'm really looking forward to this trip and I hope my mate appreciates the effort I'm putting in to get to his stupid wedding!

my_bike

Likes Dirt
Watch Wolf Creek Psycho the day before you leave. Bring sunglasses and plenty of drink and food in the car.