Drills

Superman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey

I need a new drill and I want a normal corded drill. I just dont think ill need a cordless one and the more bits (charger etc) there are, the more there is to have problems with, and lose.

The problem is that in catalogues the only normal (non hammer) drills are cordless.

So - Can you still get normal corded drills?

Or - Can you turn off the hammer function of a hammer drill?

And how much should I spend?

Thanks,

Sam

sxereturn

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Get a cordless, they are so much better.

I have a mid range Ryobi that I use for a bunch of stuff. It was about $250, two batteries, one hour charge, digital battery life display, clutch and a hammer feature.

Rik

logged out
Or - Can you turn off the hammer function of a hammer drill?
Sure can, but it'll be heavier than a "standard" drill.
There's pros and cons for each, but if you get a cordless make sure you get something with a decent amount of torque and battery life, the money saved initially will cost you more in frustration if you buy a cheaper unit.

FuTAnT

Likes Dirt
Yup, you can actually get non hammer drills, but you might as well get one for the times you might need it.

The hammer can be turned on/off, so no dramas there.

You can grab something like a Metabo SBE560 (560W) for $150 (plastic gearbox surround), or go up to a SBE660 (660W) with all metal gearbox for $260.

Protool DRP 13-2 EQ 630W for $280 (metal gearbox etc)

Anyhoo, decide what kinda features you want and whether you want an all metal gearbox and surround or just metal gears etc. The cheaper ones are around $150 from Metabo, Hitachi, Bosch etc. Don't waste your money on a shit tool though, it never pays off.

Bettery drills are great, but again you need to spend some money to make it worth while, and you also need to *use* them or the batteries turn to shit.

nickz

Likes Dirt
If I were you I'd buy a green Bosch, it has a hammer function which you don't ever have to use if you don't want, and it is pretty good quality. Corded drills are all quite similar, some have more power/speed but for the price the green Bosch is the best all-rounder, and it has a keyless chuck which is very important IMO as I hate losing chuck keys. I have a cordless hammer drill which is a monster but you can't use larger bits (for dynabolts) as it is only 18 volts. Get corded.