dope

Gruntled

Likes Dirt
Would it be fair to say though, that a lot of people in that bracket were/are probably more pre-disposed to mental issues anyway? And that the drug just tipped the scales a bit?

I know one guy that smokes at LEAST ten cones a day. He is a prominent business man in the community, makes a shitload of money, wears tailored clothes, sends his kids to private school, drives an RS4 and is 50 years old. He reckons he has smoked since he was 13.

I know another guy who tried 3 mushies and a hit of daytura in one sitting when he was sixteen. He is early 40's now, and has only been out of prison for 20 non-consecutive years of his life. He is a deadset nutjob.
True that. I could bring up many examples like your ones, including renouned Scientists who keep very, very quiet about their smoking habits to avoid the associated negative stigma. Pity, they could otherwise stand up and say "See, it's not ALL bad!". I also know a couple of people who've gone to the Psych ward for long visits, from acid and shrooms, and years later they've found pot brings it back on. So they don't smoke.

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
That's Ice though, you can hardly put it in the same league as pot.
What league are we talking? Amount of money spent on it? How many people with psychological issues from using it?

This talk about people who have gone birko from smoking weed or taking some acid being predisposed to having a mental issue beforehand is humorous. How the hell can anyone know if they are more likely to snap after taking something?

You don't. There's only one way to find out. (Yes family history of mental illnes and genetics obviously are pointers and increased risk factors)

cressa

Likes Dirt
A question for the fellow weed smokers out there... do you mix smoking and riding? If you do, does it slow you down, speed you up or not really make any difference?

I enjoy riding after a smoke if it happens to work out that way, but usually i'll be slower and less confident to hit new stuff etc. I try not too mix them too much and just save it for post ride laziness.

How about you?

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Would it be fair to say though, that a lot of people in that bracket were/are probably more pre-disposed to mental issues anyway? And that the drug just tipped the scales a bit?

I know one guy that smokes at LEAST ten cones a day. He is a prominent business man in the community, makes a shitload of money, wears tailored clothes, sends his kids to private school, drives an RS4 and is 50 years old. He reckons he has smoked since he was 13.

I have no idea regarding the predisposition to mental issues. But suddenly finding yourself with a whole host of mental problems isn't a good way to find out.

And I have a really hard time believing the at LEAST ten cones a day. How long does a hit last? Say 20 minutes (minimum? correct me if I'm wrong), then he spends at LEAST 3 hours a day stoned. Call it 2.5 hours if he smokes them concurrently. That much of any mood enhancing chemical would cause irreparable damage to his mind. Granted that marijuana is the softest of the common drugs, but I still don't believe anyone could smoke that much and not have any i'll effects

Smacks

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've never ridden at the peak of my high, I've only ever ridden just as I've started coming down, so I've still been reasonably stoned but not quite fucked.

For me, it was the same as playing video games. My actual performance was better - airing higher, manualing longer, getting more kills - but I thought I was doing terribly, so I got bored really quick and gave up pretty soon.

indica

Serial flasher
And I have a really hard time believing the at LEAST ten cones a day. How long does a hit last? Say 20 minutes (minimum? correct me if I'm wrong), then he spends at LEAST 3 hours a day stoned. Call it 2.5 hours if he smokes them concurrently. That much of any mood enhancing chemical would cause irreparable damage to his mind. Granted that marijuana is the softest of the common drugs, but I still don't believe anyone could smoke that much and not have any i'll effects
Why not?
I smoked a lot more than that for a long time, I used to spend all day stoned.
Morning to bed time.

I used to smoke before and during riding too. We would do shuttle runs and stop for cones.

I am not suggesting anyone or everyone smoke, but for some it poses no problems. ICE does, cocaine does, they both change brain chemistry.