Do old fools train?

Bill Gill

Squid
do as much as I can before wife finds out

Mate I do 3xstrength training during the week-squats,deadlifts,bech press etc all low rep/low sets big weights. Run 30kms a week 3x10k. And ride after work for an hour in my local Nat Park and go on Epics on the week end nothing under 3hrs.
I wanna get back into racing after a break (8yrs family/work etc) Aiming to race in Enduro events starting 2011.the last 12 months have been doing Adventure racing ride,run,paddle races are about 30-40k's. So I have diversified my Mountain Biking portfolio. But to be honest biking is what gets me to a happy place, you know the place of Nirvana as your grinding up a hill in 30deg+ heat for the 3rd hour of an epic ride:D

Norco Maniac

Is back!
i got back on my bmx in May this year after a couple of hard years, health-wise and emotional, to get my body in shape after surgery. loved it so much i went back to racing. at the time i was seeing someone who was also my training partner, he got me interested in doing weights as well. he's fallen by the wayside a couple of months ago which totally disrupted my routine - i was doing a fairly stiff amount of laps twice a week plus a pdf stretching routine i'd worked out for him.

four weeks ago i realised that if i was serious about racing in Opens again, i'd have to hit the gym. so i'm doing an upper body/abs/lower back weight routine that i put together myself with input from a personal trainer and my bmx trainer. pretty much every day, except race days, i'll do my stretches, 10 mins on the crosstrainer, about an hour of weights swapping between agonist/antagonist muscle groups, then two more sessions of 10 mins on the crosstrainer with a quick quad stretch in between. i only use light weights, 2.5kg, 5kg, and 6kg. i haven't been on the track much due to rain and haven't lost a great deal of weight lately either, but i'm firming up so i'm guessing the more dense muscle mass is the culprit, though i have lost 20kg since last Christmas, most of which came off in the first three months of riding. i sit on about 68kg now, looking to drop to 64kg if i can.

i recently found the measurements my former training partner did for me in August and September, there's been a small but significant change in my proportions, very happy with that.

anyway, i'm keeping a training blog for ongoing inspiration and for my nutritional rambles.

i'm 46. and now i also own a hardtail, i'm thinking....there's a local xc race in September 2011....:p

Last edited:

Red Peekay

Likes Dirt
Gym most days, either weights or a core workout. Try to walk for at least an hour a day (running days are long over). Out on the bike on weekends, the odd surf..... just try and stay active every day. Have done the gym junkie thing with 3-4 hour workouts in the past.... the very distant past. I now like to enjoy what I do, hence a nice bit of single track rolling through some forest, or a skin track up a mountain. Exercise for the soul! Then followed by a lovely lager..... ahhhhhh!

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Currently doing an average of 300kms a week at the mo. Want to get in shape to race, when I can get the guts to actually get involved in some racing.
Slicks on the MTB, hitting the tarmac and pointing the hardtail at every hill I can find.
Did a PB today. 68.1kms in 1hr 56min. Not that good compared to roadies, but still a PB so I'm stoked.
Loving these NSW roads.

Also, thought I'd mention. I watched a movie called the flying scotsman which is the true story of ex world champ and world record holding track rider Graham Obree.
Apparently his secret power food was jam sandwiches, and so I thought I'd give the gels and bars the flick and try some sandwiches with the reddest stickest jam I could find. And I'll be blown, but I can honestly say it's awesome power food. I am riding harder and faster on the ol' jam sands'.

Next time you go for a solid training ride, put two bits of toast with loads of jam in your belly before you head out and get spinning. It's gold.

(Unless you are diabetic maybe)?

Blackberry is great as well. White sugar, and fruit sugar.
It's like rocket fuel. And a couple of strong coffees beforehand.
Whether it's the gym or cycle, it's a good long surge.

Gym 3times a week that includes legs and upper body weight training, also a spin class and one to two 7 to 10 k runs and 3 x 40 k road rides to work a week plus whatever trail rides I can get away with on weekends.

All of that keeps me eating a LOT so 5 to 6 meals a day with lots of carbs :)

Slowman

Likes Dirt
While all that looks great - it doesn't leave any time or energy for beer drinking and a bit of hanky-panky with your lover! You can quote me on that.

Balance is good! :eek:
Yes balance is vital! Anyone into the endurance scene has to train, you won't get to the end of a 100km race without training. After years I can manage very little training for a 50km race but of course get the time I deserve. I ride a bit on and off road to get the kms.

Ripples

Cannon Fodder
I made the decision to do some enduro races. Not to win, more to achieve the end. I am currently doing indoor training 3 night a week at least 20 to 30 minutes (too cold out at the moment). At the end I do a load of core muscle exercises. I listen to podcasts a I run the indoor so I feel I am multi-tasking.

I add to this 2 nights of martial arts training.

The weekend holds a bikepath ride with the GF at an easy pace so she feels involved and a part of the MTB part of my life.

I do a XC ride on the weekend to get dirt under the wheels for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

I am just about to start doing MTBO so as to get a bit of competition each month as well as inspiration.

I have hit a wall with weight loss with 14kg down and 10 to go so some nutrition action is next on the list.

davros

Squid
DH traing

i ride heaps of XC/AM trails for DH fitness, make sure you keep it fun and ride trails that are going to challenge and keep your skills sharp

Still got to Train for the Capital Punishment

Well I've got to say training is the only way as I suck at MTB XC anyway so have to start somewhere. I do a lot of road riding at the moment as I rely on finding friends to train with so my current cycle wife wants to complete the Fitz Challenge in Canberra. Then I can switch back to my beautiful S-works MTB. Have managed to lose some weight and get down some hills I never thought I'd do a couple of years ago.

My question is how do find chatting to the young'ens do they give you the sneer as your not fast enought for them? I like to have a chat while riding but can't when building up fitness and flying snot out my nose trying to get up the hill.

tobytj

Cannon Fodder
Climb.

Find something nasty steep set up in low granny and try to go as slow and far as you can. Going slow and steep forces you to ride smooth and balanced. Not being able to use momentum forces you into setting an aerobic pace and sustaining it for a long period. As you get better you go steeper, slower and longer.

Try this routine and you will develop the fittness and balance near the top to beat those big climbs.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Climb.

Find something nasty steep set up in low granny and try to go as slow and far as you can. Going slow and steep forces you to ride smooth and balanced. Not being able to use momentum forces you into setting an aerobic pace and sustaining it for a long period. As you get better you go steeper, slower and longer.

Try this routine and you will develop the fittness and balance near the top to beat those big climbs.
thanks for this tip... i'll be giving this a go!

Along with 3 regular road rides and 4 bodyweight resistance sessions a week, I do track drills with a group at the local velodrome one morning a week. Most of the group are in their 30s or 40s and here's a lot of camaraderie. (Not sure if its the pre-dawn start or the trust that the guy in front won't go down!) It's really improved my pedalling style, speed and sprinting.

Most track clubs have club bikes for a nominal hire fee (usually $5~10/session), i.e. you don't need your own track bike to get into it. A great HIIT workout.