Distressing news

Fifteen.Hundred

Likes Dirt
Very distressing & sad situation. I hope they catch the pr!ck.

On a side note, this incident makes a mockery of the "cyclists should have rego so we can identify them" agrument. This car i would assume was registered but no one took down the rego plate.

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
there are a couple of known cars in the area that have intentionally interfered with riders or had passengers lean out of cars and push riders over.
Although I have never personally had an incident, you hear regular stories. police are working at stopping them but it is hard for the cops to do much when they get conflicting stories and no real hard evidence eg. video footage.

hopefully this will be a catalyst for change, a real sad story thou hopefully they catch the guy and he goes away for murder.

stirk

Burner
That's fucked up if true that such a dick wad exists.

I'd call for a murder trial if caught.

I'd be riding something like this if I never become a roadie in city areas.

Screenshot_2015-05-12-18-09-42~2.jpg

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Coppers should pretty much always believe the cyclist's story, IMHO. Enough of this two sides to the story crap :-(

link1896

Mr Greenfield
when I got knocked off,

cop: "did you get rego?"
me: "sorry, was too busy falling off into the gutter"
cop: "sorry mate, I'm not gonna take a statement"
me: speechless

next time I get fined for riding on the footpath I will remind the infringement notice writing officer of this

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
when I got knocked off,

next time I get fined for riding on the footpath I will remind the infringement notice writing officer of this
I had a similar experience but insisted on making a statement; if it happens enough with the same driver / vehicle the coppers will connect the dots. I understand the police are talking to a Bell Park man in relation to harassing cyclists in the area, including on this particular road.

For me it really hits home, I ride that road probably once or maybe twice a week; it's by no means busy and pretty isolated - could have easily been myself or anyone of a number of guys I ride with. :faint:
My and the whole of Geelong's cycling communities' thoughts are with the family; I hope they catch this lowlife and throw the book at him!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Vigilante time? RB pose roams the streets of Geelong armed with old bike parts from Moorey's stash...I bags a 400mm seat post, none of you light weight stuff either, slmething frlm the dark ages...Those things can be quite persuasive.

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Its sad but the solution for cyclist is cameras. so you can later identify the guy and burn his house down.

Cul-baire,
I have also heard of guys out along the coast (around 13th beach) getting harrassed by a regular guy, I dont ride much further out of Geelong than Ceres anymore unless its a big group I like to have witnesses around..
either that or im sure I read a magazine from early (90s) mountain biking/bike expedition through Alaska and they had mounts on their top tube to mount a holster for a pistol, incase of bears.. I assume gripsport could make somthing up for me??

Also surprised by the lack of big media.. a retiree was riding along innocently and a motorist ran him down and then fled even if it was accidental surely this shit should be on the news.. more.. if he was crossing the road out the front of the local wollies the major news (7,9,10 and associated print media) would be calling for a lynching

Last edited:

Arete

Likes Dirt
when I got knocked off,

I had almost exactly the same experience in Adelaide:

"Hi I was hit by a car cycling to work yesterday and the hospital asked me to make a statement."
"License plate?"
"I was knocked unconscious and don't remember anything after breakfast that morning."
"Well, I can't even take a statement. How do you even know a car hit you? You might have just fell off."
"My bars and helmet were both snapped in half and covered in green car paint. Two witnesses also gave me phone numbers who do remember the incident."
"What do you expect me to do?"
"You're seriously not going to do anything?"
"You can't even be sure you got hit by a car. You might have just fallen off..."

They seriously expect regular citizens to actually trust them and view them with respect?

DJR

Likes Dirt
Wow, you guys who've had a bad experience there, should take it up with the relevant authority for your state, eg ombudsman ... Situation is very bad, media is not doing ant better, just the other day A current affair did a story about calls for bike rego, then you have ignoramuses like Shane warne openly admitting their hate of cyclists. Just the other day I had some random car pull up behind me after a night MTB ride and start mouthing off, every name under the sun for no reason..... Got their rego and they live around the corner...

Shadow Puppet

Likes Dirt
These 'incidents' need to stop being classed as traffic incidents and instead treated as criminal acts. I bet if I walked down the street with a baseball bat and attempted to hit someone, the police would take a statement even though there was no 'number plate'.

A mate of mine in Brazil rides with a hand gun in his jersey pocket, while I'm not advocating cyclists taking matters into their own hands, and obviously hand guns are illegal here, if this keeps up and the police don't do anything about it...... im all for cyclists (as a targeted group) arming themselves in self defense.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
These 'incidents' need to stop being classed as traffic incidents and instead treated as criminal acts. I bet if I walked down the street with a baseball bat and attempted to hit someone, the police would take a statement even though there was no 'number plate'.

A mate of mine in Brazil rides with a hand gun in his jersey pocket, while I'm not advocating cyclists taking matters into their own hands, and obviously hand guns are illegal here, if this keeps up and the police don't do anything about it...... im all for cyclists (as a targeted group) arming themselves in self defense.

in the heat of the moment you wouldn't want to pull a banana from the wrong pocket

Shadow Puppet

Likes Dirt
Yeah, that'll end well :wacko:

I truly understand the anger and outrage, but vigilantism is a very very poor idea.
Yeah, i understand that and it will never happen but if drivers knew that cyclists could fight back. I'm sure the cowards would think twice.......