Digital Camera

danv

Likes Dirt
I'm looking to buy a camera under $200 for my happy snaps. I am willing to go second hand.
I really don't know much about cameras but I am a fast learner. What should I be looking for in a camera? Ie. what are the measures of how good a camera is? What are some good cameras/brands, for that budget? Is that budget realistic for decent personal snaps for someone with a bit of creative flare?

Links to any good resources would also be appreciated.

Some things I would like in a camera:
High resolution
Quality (in all aspects)
High optical zoom
Flash
Durability
The ability to save uncompressed photos (the only camera I have ever used automatically compresses photos to JPEG)

I'll probably be buying off ebay.

Thanks dudes. :)

alexMc

Likes Dirt
danv said:
Some things I would like in a camera:
High resolution
Quality (in all aspects)
High optical zoom
Flash
Durability
The ability to save uncompressed photos (the only camera I have ever used automatically compresses photos to JPEG)
I think your expecting just a bit to much for $200

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
Some of the features I've decided are important...

Short lag-time between photos (my old Kodak is painfully slow!)

Macro (allows for good close up shots)

Good range of both digital and lens generated zoom.

And a simple bonus is if it runs off standard AA batteries rather than a battery pack.

Scott

bAdmin
Staff member
digital zoom bad... you should never really use it. When making a decision based on zoom specs only take note of the optical zoom.

Constable Care

Likes Dirt
There is a bit of lag between when u hit the button an when u take the picture on alot of the point and shoot cameras, if u want to get one that dpesnt do it u shood look at a digital SLR but then again u will have to shell out sum more cash for somthing like that

Scott

bAdmin
Staff member
freeridefrenchy said:
There is a bit of lag between when u hit the button an when u take the picture on alot of the point and shoot cameras, if u want to get one that dpesnt do it u shood look at a digital SLR but then again u will have to shell out sum more cash for somthing like that
I think a DSLR is a little out of scope. The guy has $200, semi-ok DSLR's start above $1000 (under without lenses). You don't need an instantaneous shutter release, simply learn to pre-time the shot.... you'll get used to it.

Even with a $200 camera and some simple photo techniques you'll take good photos.

scratchy

Farkin Activist
$200 at the moment well get you 3 year old technology and pretty average results. $300 will start getting you a 4mp camera that's OK. $400 you can get a camera that will take really sharp photos (although there are still lemons out there).

Canon A510 from memory is $249 seems to be the pick of the cheaper camera. Canon have a really good rep. of focusing on making there powershots just take good shots, not on wanky frills. Available at most shops. You'll have to shell out for NiMH batteries though (AA).

Check out www.dpreview.com of it:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canona510/

here is their conclusion:
Overall Conclusion

Everything we said about the PowerShot A520 applies equally to the A510; it would be hard to find a more suitable first digital camera for the novice digital photographer on a budget. No matter what the situation, the A510 turns out perfectly exposed and focused results shot after shot. And the fact that as well as idiot-proof 'point and shoot' modes and scene modes you get a full array of manual options means it's a camera that you can grow with as your skills develop.

The build quality is excellent, the results - though probably a little 'over-processed' for purists (and almost all are in need of a little sharpening in post processing) are perfect for the target market; bright, colorful and contrasty. Our only serious complaints are to do with some aspects of the speed of operation - focus can struggle in low light at the long end of the zoom (sometimes taking up to two seconds to find its mark), the shot-to-shot time (when not in burst mode) feels very slow if you're trying to grab shots quickly, and the flash recycle time is frankly unacceptable.

Compared to the A520, the PowerShot A510 has the advantage of price (it's around $100 cheaper), slightly faster playback and burst mode and lower noise (though you'll only really see the difference shooting at ISO 400). It manages to capture nearly - though not quite - as much detail (maybe 10 or 15% less), and has all the positive qualities of its big brother; superb metal-bodied build, sophisticated features and excellent battery life. If you are unlikely to print at sizes about about 5 x 7 inches (at which point the A520's extra resolution starts to show) and are looking for a well-specified first camera that won't break the bank, the PowerShot A510 is well worth a closer look.

Davf

Likes Dirt
Grip said:
Some of the features I've decided are important...

Short lag-time between photos (my old Kodak is painfully slow!)

Macro (allows for good close up shots)

Good range of both digital and lens generated zoom.

And a simple bonus is if it runs off standard AA batteries rather than a battery pack.
They are some good points there, except for the AA bonus bit. I prefer digital camera's WITH a battery pack. Yes you can readily buy AA's but the rate the camera's go through them, you either end up forking out $12 for 2xAA lithiums or $20 dollars for a pack of 40 alkalines, and be prepared to be replacing them very frequently. If possible buy a camera with a battery pack, and try and buy a spare battery you can carry with you. They last longer, are rechargeable(well der), compact and may eventually pay themselves off but most importantly, less hassle. Oh, forgot to mention that while you can go for rechargeable NiMH batteries, by the time you purchase them and the charger, it'd be the same price if buying a spare battery. BUT if the camera you are interested in only takes AA or CR3(i think, it's basically two AA's joined into one battery) you would be best buying NiMH AA batteries and charger. (about $50 for a small, faster charger with batteries, or $30 for a slower charger with batteries)

As mentioned, optical zoom is a big selling factor, but i'm guessing at your price range, you'll be looking at the standard 3x optical, and 4x digital.

As you may know, different brands use different memory cards. The common types are MMC and SD. They are generally cheaper then say olympus XD or sony memory sticks. You will need to add these onto your budget, but a 64MB can be bought for $20 dollars, then as the size doubles, the price almost doubles(eg. 128MB - $35)

Another little feature some people find useful is video capture. The video quality usually isn't great, but some have in built mic's, others don't. So if the option of video capture is important to you, check if it has a built in mic.

For your stated budget, you will be looking at either second hand camera's OR find/ask a shop for old/quit stock(eg Dicksmith/tandy). It is possible to get say a kodak 4 MP camera with 3x optical for under $200 if you shop around, and when buying new, you get a 1 yr warranty. Hope thats helped.

Last edited: