DH etiquette

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
daymz said:
oh... this is going to be a great debate... so you think that you should stop someone having a good chance at winning a race????.
The rider in front should pull over at the first "SAFE" spot.
What that rider deems as the "first safe spot" might not be the same as what you think. the fact that you caught them should tell you they have less ability then you and may not have the confidence/ability to get off you line immeadiately.

Expecting someone to bail on a narrow high speed section is just not on.

Also remember when travelling at warp speed 9 whilst wearing a full face makes it hard to hear at times. Yell Loud and yell early.

daymz said:
you can enjoy ur ride and not be selfish.
Exactly

thecat

BrumbyJack said:
However in XC racing the slower rider has the right of way and has the right to tell the faster rider to wait.
While that is the rule of thumb for most of the endurance races I think you'll find it differs for actual XC. You need to get out of the way as soon as it's safe for you to do so.

One more point on the DH side, If you know you are much faster that the guy in front ask the starter for a slightly longer break. At most club and some state races this wouldn't be a problem as long as every one isn't doing it.

And really, it shouldn't happen that often. If you are 30sec-1 minute faster than the guy in front of you stop sandbagging and step up a class.

Last edited:
well, you could have one of the fastest people in the class/age group right behind one of the slowest, i know its not always possible but sometimes either a: larger gaps between starting times or b: not putting sponsored riders behind your average joe so to speak would be a good idea, im on a norco savage, and i got caught by some crazy kid on a demo with 40's, deemax, x0, the works, and someone on an orange with much bling components also - not exactly surprising but my point is, there was only me & my mate in our u17 class that were on sub 4k bikes, i would have thought the organisers would have been able to put us at the end so that we wouldnt have the problem of being caught. having the knowledge that any second someone is going to run into you is extremely distracting in a run ( for me anyhow), thus i was not paying enough attention to what i was doing, and ended up paying for it by crashing, however, when i was caught i got out of the way as soon as i could ( the kid on the demo didnt think so but meh) and i was thanked for it, and when someone crashed in front of me ( not bad) further on in the race, he got out of the way, everyones happy ( you never know, you could pass the same person that passed you later on in a run - what goes around comes around i should hope) ,

luke.b

Formerly DH Maniac
hmmm, not in the under 15's though. I remember my first DH experience. It was up at a Beechworth ride day. All the guys looked pro to me-they where so much faster. As it was a 'ride day' it was alot like a practise day. So, every minute or so I would get off the side of the track, and see if there was any riders comming up behind me. It also doubles in purposes as you can scope out rock gardens and watch how other riders do it first-before attampting them. Sure, i was a bit parranoid about the other riders being annoyed at me, but i was'nt on that greater bike (big hit SPEC), but at least I wasn't stopping anyone.

I think this should be taught to all 'newbies'. Is there an OFFICIAL RULE BOOK for DH in Oz, or in the USA or somewhere where we could get some other insight?

thecat

Vicious_Fishes said:
but my point is, there was only me & my mate in our u17 class that were on sub 4k bikes, i would have thought the organisers would have been able to put us at the end so that we wouldnt have the problem of being caught.
Did you ask?
At most of our races we try to accommodate this sort of thing.
Sometimes, especially when you've got profeshional timers with their computors that need to be set up in advance, this wont be possible. Try asking for a higher numbered plate at rego, ie "Hey I'm in u17 but I'm not that quick, can I get a plate number that will put me towards the end of the u17 field?" and then either "thanks." or "No worries, I just thought i'd try.";o)

thecat

DH Maniac said:
I think this should be taught to all 'newbies'. Is there an OFFICIAL RULE BOOK for DH in Oz, or in the USA or somewhere where we could get some other insight?
When you purchase a yearly MTBA licence the race guide should be posted out with your card.

You should also be able purchase spares off the MTBA website.

i wasnt referring to u15's, but the principles still the same

how about one of those easy to understand/not full of bs/can be followed by a monkey with half an eye and a banana in one hand type of rulebooks that don't seem to exist ?

DO they exist as yet ?

this thread needs to be a sticky methinks

BrumbyJack

Likes Dirt
thecat said:
While that is the rule of thumb for most of the endurance races I think you'll find it differs for actual XC. You need to get out of the way as soon as it's safe for you to do so.

One more point on the DH side, If you know you are much faster that the guy in front ask the starter for a slightly longer break. At most club and some state races this wouldn't be a problem as long as every one isn't doing it.

And really, it shouldn't happen that often. If you are 30sec-1 minute faster than the guy in front of you stop sandbagging and step up a class.
Well, it's the then same really.....

I gave up XC racing because I spent more time walking than riding :( especially when on the track at the same time as the Elite Men. I know I'm only riding for fun, those guys are racing for sponsorship $$$$.

You can't hog the track in endurance racing either, you can only call wait until it is safe to get off, just that after 20+ hours on a bike it might take a while to find a safe place... and generally those passing aren't in a major rush to get past either.

As always, the fastest riders are the best at passing, courteous and skillful... it's the wannabees that seem to cause problems.

demo man

Used to be cool.
thecat said:
Did you ask?
At most of our races we try to accommodate this sort of thing.
Sometimes, especially when you've got profeshional timers with their computors that need to be set up in advance, this wont be possible. Try asking for a higher numbered plate at rego, ie "Hey I'm in u17 but I'm not that quick, can I get a plate number that will put me towards the end of the u17 field?" and then either "thanks." or "No worries, I just thought i'd try.";o)
when i have dealt with pro timers they have been so easy to change stuff with, they click away for a few seconds then say its all done and print off a new sheet - i love Castech! wish we could afford them for all the club races...:rolleyes:

Damian, got a hole in one on that last post. i though you were being a little more drastic than you were trying to sound in the first post.

A small rulebook would be good, but it would have to be done by MTBA, and if it was going to be broadcast all over Aus. it would have to be at least looked over by pretty much every single club in australia - your talking about a mega job here.

I will however think about making a guide for CORC run DH events, or at least provide a small guide at any larger events I'm part of. Some guidelines like these nationally would be good, but hey, this is an huge website that people all over Aus read, so for the moment, just use this as your guide. That's what i wrote it for!

Last edited:

blt2ride

Likes Dirt
There is some good information on that list. The one thing that has really gotten on my nerves is riders complaining. From pros to ams, it seems like EVERYONE is complaining about NORBA and racing. Does NORBA suck? Everyone knows they do, but it's pretty much all we have here in the States.

Here's my take: Everyone knows that NORBA doesn't care about gravity racing, and everyone knows that NORBA will make a terrible 4X course and the DH course will probably leave a lot to be desired. Yet, people will still show up to the races and complain--why? We all know what we're getting ourselves into.

For me, I know a race weekend will probably cost between $400-$500, and I know that courses won't be anything to write home about, but I try to make the best out of it. When you can hang-out with your friends, race your bike, and drink some beer, it can't be all bad.

I kind of admire what Brian Lopes did. While he did spend too much time crying in the years' past, he finally said screw it, and stopped racing the NORBA series. That's what it's all about--choices. If a rider doesn't like how a race is going to be run, then don't go...

October26

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Great post. ALl good points.
I had the very same thing happen to me a Thredbo with a hay bale. One of the scariest crashes I have ever had.

pyley

NSWMTB
Kammy said:
just a small one.

- be friendly to the shuttle drivers if there are shuttles operating
- thank the organisers at the end of the day to show that there work is appreciated.

good post D man:)
I must admit that the time and effort put into a race day by shuttle operators and all persons involved in organisation is easily paid for with gratitude. i run some shuttles for wsmtb, ctmbc and state rounds and theres nothing nicer than riders simply saying "thanks mate"...it takes only a few seconds, but means so much to a bored driver...plus the time spent before a race fixing the track, sorting out transport, prizes, food and other stuff is normally overlooked...volenteers make these days happen and i believe everyone should be a bit more generous with thier time...you'd be amazed how good it feels to be at race and see everyone enjoy the work youve done over the last few weeks...THE CAT KNOWS WHAT I MEAN...

to all a happy new year...

peace

SKT

Likes Dirt
Nice work Demo, just the quality work I expect from you mate ;)

Re: Passing, specifically race runs.
In Vets, I notice that most of us towards the back of the pack will kinda mill around and chat about the race run and sorta work out between the guy in front and the guy behind how we will go about passing if the case does arise. Kinda touching base and setting it up.....like we decide that say the guy behind me will call track pretty early to let me know hes there, giving me ample time to find the right spot to let him pass without me losing too much momentum totally blowing my race run. We would maybe decide that I would call.... "pass on my left/right"

Although he is the faster rider and has a chance at a possible podium, PB whatever, I still payed to race and have a desire to get my best possible result and shouldn't have to totally blow my race run because of he's so damn fast :cool:

It's obviously relative to the track and surrounding terrain but with a little forsight and some BASIC track knowledge and communication it can all work out for eveyone.

DH_Freak

Likes Dirt
after reading this thread (every word!) i just want to say thanks to all the guys that have worked on ourimbah ( only real race track ive ridden ) it is an awesome track i LOVE it and the work put into the NS is amazing! cheers guys. i have allways admired the volounteers and workers that have put their sweat, blood and tears into the track but have never said anything.

cheers guys WELL DONE.

reece

thecat

pyley said:
.you'd be amazed how good it feels to be at race and see everyone enjoy the work youve done over the last few weeks...THE CAT KNOWS WHAT I MEAN...

peace
Oh yeah,

Sometimes it's easy to get caught in negavity. People who are unhappy about something are far more likely to voice an opinion, loudly.

But when you're just about to fall in an exhausted heap yet you know you've still got to pack up, go home, write the reports and get the results out, it's always a big lift when some one comes up and says they had a great day.

MTBers tend to be great that way, there's always people helping bring in the tape and clean up the rubbish as they wait for the results to be sorted for the presintation.

And they are generally appreciative and let you know it, even if a few things didn't go to plan as they often do.

DH_Freak

Likes Dirt
just another one to add to the thousands of them. AT ALL DOWNHILL RACES PITCH IN FOR PETROL MONEY FOR ALL THE SHUTTLE DRIVERS FOR THE DAY. EVEN IF ITS $5 IT DOESHELP OUT!

I-AM-TEH-FASTEST-11

Blitzkrieg Films
GIANT STP said:
just another one to add to the thousands of them. AT ALL DOWNHILL RACES PITCH IN FOR PETROL MONEY FOR ALL THE SHUTTLE DRIVERS FOR THE DAY. EVEN IF ITS $5 IT DOESHELP OUT!
umm dude race entry pays for shuttles....

props to the real mofo's behind the scenes keeping the wheels turning (in more ways than one)

powermutant

Likes Dirt
demo man said:
A small rulebook would be good
I don't think so. The rules are what we race by and are there for a reason. You can't leave them out and they need to be explicit. Otherwise you'll have 20" racing 4X ... oh wait. Anything less and its not a rulebook but a guide.

If little Johnny can't understand the rules, then he should ask for assistance or learn to read. Either way it will be an educational experience. If other 12 year olds can read the cricketing/soccer/netball/chess/... rulebook then our youngsters can read the MTBA rulebook.

Cheers,
Doug.

demo man

Used to be cool.
powermutant said:
I don't think so. The rules are what we race by and are there for a reason. You can't leave them out and they need to be explicit. Otherwise you'll have 20" racing 4X ... oh wait. Anything less and its not a rulebook but a guide.

If little Johnny can't understand the rules, then he should ask for assistance or learn to read. Either way it will be an educational experience. If other 12 year olds can read the cricketing/soccer/netball/chess/... rulebook then our youngsters can read the MTBA rulebook.

Cheers,
Doug.

fair call. i wasn't as much suggesting that something should be done about it, it was more of a passing comment.

Re above,
if you're at a race where shuttles are not being dome by the race, (i.e the club has brought their trailers and there are some parents volunteering to do the driving) then i would definately hope that everyone (edit: who can) would chip in for Petrol.

Last edited: