DH etiquette

demo man

Used to be cool.
These are some rules of thumb that really should be obeyed. They do not stop you from having a good time, they just let other people have fun too.

• Passing:
    - This one is easy, it just seems that some people don't quite know what they are meant to do. if you are riding, no matter in a race run or practice, if you catch up to a slower rider in front of you, yell "rider", or "track", or another OBVIOUS word or phrase.
    - If you are the rider in front, get off the track or out of the way as soon as you can. Yell out "on my left" or "on my right" if possible. Make sure you time this well. You don't want to say it too early or they will run into you, and you don't want to say it too late or they won't be able to pass.
    - Now no one expects you to ride into a tree or dive into a bush, but as soon as you can, get out of the way. If that means you have to stop and put a foot down, then so be it. You must get out of the way as fast as you can, especially in racing.
    - The faster rider should also be patient though, and realize that sometimes there just isn't anywhere safe to get off the track. Leave a bit of room between you and the rider in front too, it will be pretty slow if you run into them and crash.
  • Crashing:
    - When you crash, check behind you to make sure you have not damaged the track. Sometimes you will accidentally push a foreign object onto the track, which could cause a crash, so make sure you have a good look behind you.
    - So, when you crash, if you have accidentally pushed a large rock into the middle of the track, or any other foreign obstacle (or moved an obstacle that was already there), either put it off the track entirely (and away from the fall-zone) or back to its original spot, securely.
    - If you fall off and decide to have a bit of a break, and want to have a sit down or lie down and get your breath back, that's fine, in fact I’d encourage it. But, make sure that you are well away from the track, and unless you need help, do not look in distress. Remember; put your bike well out of the way. Do not put it next to the track - EVER. If someone wants to pull off to the side to let another rider past or to just have a break and they run over your bike, I bet neither they (who has now crashed and may be hurt) or you (who has just had their bike damaged) are going to be happy - and it’s all your fault. Again, common sense, but do not put it in a fall-zone. If someone crashes and lands on your pedal or gets a handle bar end in their liver or kidney I’m sure you won't be very popular.
    - If you do crash, and cannot move or get off the track, then you need to be very mindful of what is going on around you. Listen very carefully, anytime you think you hear an approaching rider yell out "rider down" or "stop" or even "help". It’s safer to yell heaps that it is to be run over.
    - When you are re-entering the track, make sure that you look and listen before you jump onto the main line. You don’t want to be in another crash before you’ve even started to ride again.
  • Stopping:
    - Everyone needs to stop and have a break every now and then. You do have to make sure that you will not cause an accident though!
    - Never stop on the track, always wait for a safe area away from the track and fall-zone where you will be out of the way.
    - Never, ever, stop on the track without warning. If for some reason you have no choice but to lose all momentum, yell "stopping on track" loud and clear, so that anyone near you can hear it. Give as much reasonable warning as possible, don't just yell it and then slam on the brakes, yell it, then stop a bit more gradually.
    - If you are about to pull off the track to have a break, make sure that any riders behind you know that you are about to slow down and pull off. It may catch them off guard, and you might get a rider up your bum. Yell "stopping on the right" or "stopping on the left" so that everyone can hear it. Again, make sure you give plenty of warning. Don’t yell it as you are doing it, yell before you do it!
    - If you have had no choice and have stopped in the middle of the track, and there is no where to go, but you cannot move on (bad mechanical etc.) make sure you are listening and looking very carefully for riders. If you hear an approaching rider, yell warnings loud and clear like "rider down" or "track out". It is your responsibility to get out of their way, if that's not possible then make sure they know you are there in plenty of time.

• Track:
    - If you damage it, fix it. It’s a very simple thing. If you crash and take out some bunting, put the damn bunting back up. If you roll over a jump over and over and wear away the lip, fix it back up - but only if you posses the knowledge to do so. If you don't, tell someone who you think does, or better yet the original builders of the track.
    - Do not change the track because you don't like a section. NEVER EVER change something that is not yours. Don’t forget, if you do change the track, the new part you build will be illegal, and thus make the whole track illegal, meaning that a club can't race it, and that the land owner may rip it down/cover it up.
    - Don't cheat, or create huge new lines that are obviously not part of the track. Ride on the track, not next to it. A bit of common sense needs to be applied here, but everyone knows where the track ends and where cheating and cutting starts.
    - If you can't ride it, please swallow your pride and walk it. It is much better to walk than it is to skid down it and damage the track, or to make a new dodgy line/track that makes land owners angry.

• General:
    - You need to display common courtesy. If you are out for a weekend ride, and you see someone who is struggling to fix a broken chain or punctured tube, stop, say hello, and give then a hand! If you have tools with you then make sure you offer their use. Imagine if you were in their position! If you are at your local trails think about what sort of reputation you want your area to have, that of a friendly bunch of keen riders or that of a bunch of snobby fast guys (or slow/rich ones)?
    - If you see lost riders help them.
    - Offer some water and/or food to an injured or obviously fatigued rider.
    - In fact, if you see a rider who needs any sort of help, and you can help them in any way, then do so. If not, still stop and say hi.
    - Do NOT EVER push in line for shuttles or chair rides. This pisses everyone off, and if there are other people using the service then you also give mountain biking as a whole a bad reputation. If you are seen by a race official, you may well be disqualified too.
    - Don't be elitist. It sucks, and makes the sport very hard to get into.
    - Don't be novice-ist. It’s the opposite of elitist, where you think everyone who rides fast is out to get you.
    - Always take your rubbish with you.

• Races:
    - Don't cheat. You know what cheating is, and you know that you shouldn't do it.
    - Don't sandbag!
    - Be nice to any volunteers, even if they don't know what they are doing. If there is a volunteer who is clearly over his/her head, speak to the race director about it, so that the person can be educated. Don’t just tear their heads off, that will only end in tears and a disqualification.
    - Help out! Say to yourself that you will help out at one race a year, or at a particular track each year, or every second race, or that you are happy to do one job every race. (Remember, there are jobs to be done that allow you to race and help).
    - Stay after the race and help pack up the gear (bunting, wires, collecting rubbish, packing up tents – there’s always lots to do).
    - TAKE YOUR GOD DAMN RUBBISH WITH YOU!
    - If you want to fight, DON'T!
    - Leave the agro on the track.
    - If you have got a placing, then get up onto the damn podium. When making your speech, always thank the organizers and volunteers, as well as anybody who has helped you out. Don’t yack on for too long though, you’re not that interesting!
    - Send an e-mail to the organizing club after the race and thank them for the race. If you have any ideas for improvements send them too, but not phrased as a complaint. This is only really necessary for bigger events, and maybe once a year to the organizers of a club series. Or just thank them on the day!
    - if you are asked to, make sure you hand in your number plate
  • Complaining at races:
    - Do it subtly, and only to the Race Director. Do not ever go around bad mouthing the race before you have spoken to the organizers.
    - Do it politely, don't just walk up to them and start yelling.
    - Do it at an appropriate time. Don’t start talking to them about slow shuttles while he/she is doing the presentation. Some things are best left to after the race.
    - Once you have said your bit, and they have acknowledged your complaint, leave them alone. If you choose, you could send the organizers an e-mail after the race just to re-cap on your problem, but do not come across agro or upset, just do it in a way that is to remind them of the problem at the same time as thank them for the race. Make sure you ALWAYS say something positive.
    - If it's something you could fix, or help to fix, then offer to do so.

The general theme of the whole thing is: "just think about what you are doing, if it's going to piss someone else off or injure someone, don't do it". That's pretty straight forward.

Last edited:

Kammy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
just a small one.

- be friendly to the shuttle drivers if there are shuttles operating
- thank the organisers at the end of the day to show that there work is appreciated.

good post D man:)

Yowie

Likes Dirt
Kammy said:
just a small one.

- be friendly to the shuttle drivers if there are shuttles operating
- thank the organisers at the end of the day to show that there work is appreciated.

good post D man:)
Never ever complain about the cost of race's, no one is making money out of running race's. And if you complain about it, it shows two things,

1. You don't help out yourself because if you did you would understand.

2. You have no respect for the people that give their own personal time and riding time so that you can enjoy competition mountain biking.

demo man

Used to be cool.
too much time indeed, but this might benifet people in some way at least!

i was going to post up how angry i was about some dickhead who left a bloody hay bail in the middle of the frigging track at the exit of a blind corner yesterday at thredbo (made me have a quite scary over-the-bars experience), but instead decided to do this...this took up more of my quite boring and very hot day too, so that's a bonus :)

daymz

damianbreach.com
one thing about passing - and only for actual "race runs". The fastest rider doesn't have to be paitent, they have a right to not be hindered by a slower rider. So, slower riders, if you are caught in a race run - game over - get off the track and let the person go past you - there is always somewhere to get off a track - even if it means you have to jump off your bike. If you are caught, your race is pretty much over and trying to get a good time to compete with yourself or your mates isn't cool if it's at the expense of another rider's run.

peace.

Kammy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
daymz said:
one thing about passing - and only for actual "race runs". The fastest rider doesn't have to be paitent, they have a right to not be hindered by a slower rider. So, slower riders, if you are caught in a race run - game over - get off the track and let the person go past you - there is always somewhere to get off a track - even if it means you have to jump off your bike. If you are caught, your race is pretty much over and trying to get a good time to compete with yourself or your mates isn't cool if it's at the expense of another rider's run.

peace.
i disagree with that. just because they are not as fast as the fast guys doesnt mean they shouldnt race because it could effect someone elses run. yes for sum the meaning of racing is to win, but for many others its for enjoyment and seeing a different side of the sport;)

daymz

damianbreach.com
Kammy said:
i disagree with that. just because they are not as fast as the fast guys doesnt mean they shouldnt race because it could effect someone elses run. yes for sum the meaning of racing is to win, but for many others its for enjoyment and seeing a different side of the sport;)
oh... this is going to be a great debate... so you think that you should stop someone having a good chance at winning a race????. Imagine you are in front of Hill in qualifiying and you don't want to move over and he misses out on qualifiying... do you think that Hill or anyone else would be happy with you. Now apply that same logic to all riders... the fastest people across all classes deserve a clean run and the slower people just need to accept that they are RACING and not out for a sunday drive. Yes, some folks don't think that winning is everything, and I'm one of them, but I respect that they are out to win and I would always get out of the way - even at my own expense.

"but for many others its for enjoyment and seeing a different side of the sport" - yeah do that - but not at the expense of someone else. You can still enjoy your ride and not be selfish.

Last edited:

Yowie

Likes Dirt
daymz said:
there is always somewhere to get off a track - even if it means you have to jump off your bike.
Not always. If you race in Cairns there is either dense trees, stinging trees, waitawhile, a sheer drop on either side or a combination of all the above on either side of the track. But I agree with what you are saying, some people will swear black and blue that there was no where to go on a straight bit of wide open track, Dude i caught at the nats in Lithgow Im talking to you!

daymz

damianbreach.com
Yowie said:
Not always. If you race in Cairns there is either dense trees, stinging trees, waitawhile, a sheer drop on either side or a combination of all the above on either side of the track. But I agree with what you are saying, some people will swear black and blue that there was no where to go on a straight bit of wide open track, Dude i caught at the nats in Lithgow Im talking to you!
I hear what you're saying, but any track is probably wide enough for someone to "squeeze" past you if you really are a nice person !!! I mean it will be at the expense of the person pulling over, but they're be rewarded by a huge "thanks" by the person passing.

DWNHLR01

Likes Dirt
- do NOT EVER push in line for shuttles or chair rides. this pisses everyone off, and if there are other people using the service then you also give mountain biking as a whole a bad repuation.
This was a problem in the old Cairns races with the younger pros pushing in line! In my mind, if they can't wait the tme for a shuttle, then they may as well not ride at all.

Good work though mate, it's good to see someone laying down some rules.

One other thing i'd like to add, if you are a faster rider and are behind a slow rider, do not follow then so close you are practically in their back pocket. Someone I used to ride with always did this, it ended in tears a few times. One time it ended up with me coping a brake lever into my spine. So if the rider in front is slower, do what demoman says and yell 'rider' or something, or just stick back until there is a safe place to pass.

Last edited:

BrumbyJack

Likes Dirt
daymz said:

peace.
Can we get an Official Ruling on that one??? Seriously and I will explain why.

Now, I am a VERY slow rider and I ALWAYS get out of the way, unless it is physically impossible (bridge etc.) I would NEVER intentionally hold up a faster rider in any MTB race, DH or XC.

However in XC racing the slower rider has the right of way and has the right to tell the faster rider to wait. I.e. the faster rider CANNOT force their way past a slower rider. (Doesn't stop some people though). The slower rider has to get out of the way as soon as they feel safe to do so.

I realise that DH & XC are two completely different animals though, so wonder what the official ruling is.

To compare with snowsports...

In XC skiing, a faster skier can call track and the slower skier must get out of the way as soon as is safe, again no barging is allowed and there are serveral places on the track where you CANNOT call track, i.e. within a certain distance of the finish, or downhill sections, some corners etc.

In DH skiing if you come across a slower skier, you withdraw from your run.... do not go through the timing beams and approach a track marshall to request a re-run. You can't just decide you want a re-run because you had a crappy run or something like that, but if you catch a slower skier OR have a foreign object on the track, you can request a rerun IF YOU DO NOT go through the finish beams (i.e. go around them). Going through the finish beams acknowledges your acceptance of your run.

EDIT: BTW, I agree with DAYMZ's sentiments... if you are getting passed, you aren't going to win, so don't hold another rider up.... but you still have the right to do your best, after doing the right thing and getting out of the way. Races over 24/25th place can be just as important as the podiums.... just not at the expense of a podium rider.

Last edited:

demo man

Used to be cool.
daymz - say you caught me in the middle of the rock garden at Thredbo (i.e. the actual rock garden, not the whole bunnywalk section).

are you saying that i should go straght at the left hand corner and dive into the bushes so that you can have a hal second less on your time? or do you mean that i should get around the next two corners and then jump off the track (one foot off the pedal and totally stationary) at the next straight (where there is a small area to stop at, assuming there are no spectators?

stopping is something you should do, but crashing is not.

getting off the track as fast as is reasonably possible is the way i think it should be said. you will still get a few people who say that they couldn't pull off the track in a spot here they clearly could, if they were willing to stop for a split second, but generally people will know what that means.

BJ - XC is won on minutes and more, DH is won on hundredths of seconds (i know you acknowledged that). if i were racing and i had caught a slower rider, and this slower rider had crashed while trying to get out of my way, i would stop and make sure they were okay before continuing on anyway, so it'd be way slower than if they had just ridden the extra 10 metres to a bit where they could have stopped safely.

as for cutting the shuttle lines, it is a shame when it happens. if i had enough volunteers i would definately make sure there was someone policing that. what do you think the punishment for cutting the line should be?
disqualification seems a bit too harsh, maybe just a trip to the back of the line?
second offence and it's the end of practice for you, no more runs today.

does that sound fair?

Last edited:

daddyrat

Likes Dirt
demo man said:
daymz - say you caught me in the middle of the rock garden at Thredbo (i.e. the actual rock garden, not the whole bunnywalk section).

are you saying that i should go straght at the left hand corner and dive into the bushes so that you can have a hal second less on your time? or do you mean that i should get around the next two corners and then jump off the track (one foot off the pedal and totally stationary) at the next straight (where there is a small area to stop at, assuming there are no spectators?

stopping is something you should do, but crashing is not.

getting off the track as fast as is reasonably possible is the way i think it should be said. you will still get a few people who say that they couldn't pull off the track in a spot here they clearly could, if they were willing to stop for a split second, but generally people will know what that means.

BJ - XC is won on minutes and more, DH is won on hundredths of seconds (i know you acknowledged that). if i were racing and i had caught a slower rider, and this slower rider had crashed while trying to get out of my way, i would stop and make sure they were okay before continuing on anyway, so it'd be way slower than if they had just ridden the extra 10 metres to a bit where they could have stopped safely.

as for cutting the shuttle lines, it is a shame when it happens. if i had enough volunteers i would definately make sure there was someone policing that. what do you think the punishment for cutting the line should be?
disqualification seems a bit too harsh, maybe just a trip to the back of the line?
second offence and it's the end of practice for you, no more runs today.

does that sound fair?

i catch riders every now and then in a race.(masters 3+4).
i usally shout out when i feel ill go past soon and usally(only once had a problem)the rider in front of me pulls over.
i feel that a rider caught should pull over as soon as possible, even if ti means stopping and pulling of the track completly.
the race is lost for them and not matter what they'll enjoy the rest of the ride no matter wether they'll stop.
line jumpers
good idea first time back of line, second time back of their car.
im all for it.

and a definate must for me a big thank you to everyone on my last race run particulary shuttle drivers

hardtailer

Likes Dirt
ok what is "sand baging"... i just want to know so im not doing something wrong whitout meaning too.

and and i got one.. if you are a little snot nose kid just watching dont do anything to distract the rider . EG: throwing rocks and sticks into the riders spokes whilst on a run:mad: because it wont be pretty next time you do it;)

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
sandbagging is basically a faster rider, entering a class that is below their skill level. (like an elite class rider entering sport so he/she can win)

i have had a couple of really bad passing incidents. does anyone remember the last majura race? i was coming screaming down the last section before the trees and there was a fella cruising down slowly. i gave him heaps of warning, yelling "TRACK, RIDER, FUCKIN' MOvE OVER!" and i ended up following him down most of that section, costing me 1st place (i ended up in second) now if he is on here (STP0, from canberra), take note... MOVE OVER WHEN SOMEONE IS YELLING AT YOU!

daymz

damianbreach.com
demo man said:

are you saying that i should go straght at the left hand corner and dive into the bushes so that you can have a hal second less on your time? or do you mean that i should get around the next two corners and then jump off the track (one foot off the pedal and totally stationary) at the next straight (where there is a small area to stop at, assuming there are no spectators? QUOTE]

I am only talking about race runs... not practice.

Yep... I'm saying stop and get off your bike if you have to - play it safe though, but as you say later, half a second is a world of time in DH. Waiting for a couple of corners is just too long. I know the corner you are talking about and you wouldn't have to go straight into the bushes, if you think about it, you can not even take the corner just sit next to the tree before the corner as a faster rider will be taking the outside line anyway. You can then go on your mary way enjoying the race at your own pace.

I had a look for something on this in the MTBA rules and didn't see anything so I guess each to their own. But karma is a strong thing and you never know when you (I mean "you" as a collective) may turn from being a slow rider to a quick rider and be on the race of your life and be held up by someone slow. So fellow riders, in order to get good karma for someday in the future, pull over and let the speed demons pass you.