Deore 12 speed

microRobbie

Likes Bikes
Thanks Nambra I've been considering doing the bolt mod for my GX eagle, or alternately going with Shitmano 11 or 12 speed. An upgrade to XO cassette/derailleur is prohibitive.

I didn't think there was too much play in my B knuckle bolt actually but I guess maybe enough that with the inherent sensitivity of 12 speed makes it an issue.

With regards to the GX cassette, I actually had a tooth break off the 50T cog- I've never seen this before owning countless other cassettes.

In summary, GX Eagle is shit. At least the the lower spec Shitmano generally works as good as XTR but the main diff is weight.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Well, I'm happy to say I'll stick by my 1x10 system
Yeah not likely to move to 12 speed being old and cranky .
I find with a number of mtbikes its easier to have them standardised esp for swapping wheels .
When friends buy a 12 speed Shimano equipped bike I will try it.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
@microRobbie, I think calling GX Eagle shit needs to be somewhat further qualified - in terms of cost/performance vs. Shimano, then yes, but it can be serviceable and mostly reliable if looked after properly. If you're referring to 12-speed drivetrains more generally, then you have my full, unqualified agreement...

If the bolt mod difference for overall benefit was night and day I'd recommend it, but it doesn't fix those other nuances with GX that add up to it being a frustrating experience for those that couldn't be buggered with tinkering. As you suggest, an X01 cassette and rear mech is the best part of $1000 - you could quite easily go full XT 12-speed at retail prices for about the same money, cranks, BB and microspline driver included. Then, you're only up for $200 or so for a new cassette or derailleur; a far more affordable groupset to maintain.

I still like my X01 but I don't know what I'll do when it starts to wear out. Sell one of the klds probably...

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Just had a play with an XT 12 speed on a bike in a bike shop during lunch time errands - yes indeed it is much improved on the 10 speed days and the general feel and apparently quality of stuff makes the GX eagle feel very low rent indeed...

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I have done some pricing and I dont think it is worth it for me. Given I would have to go back to narrow rims the cost of everything including driver buys me some nice xt and xtr 11 speed bits for the Cannondale and Muru. And a wristie.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
@microRobbie, I think calling GX Eagle shit needs to be somewhat further qualified - in terms of cost/performance vs. S

I still like my X01 but I don't know what I'll do when it starts to wear out. Sell one of the klds probably...
Or go one one of the aliexpress cassettes, the ZTTO ones look pretty decent.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
I think where 1x10 will make a comeback is in the ebike market as the chains are stronger and more durable.
with shimano or sram? unlikely imo. They both were really quick in killing last centuries technologies, and that includes the 10 speed system.

I hope the new AdventX 10 speed drivetrains make people think twice about upgrading their system to 12 speed. There is nothing wrong with 10 speed apart from it not being the latest and "greatest".

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I have done some pricing and I dont think it is worth it for me. Given I would have to go back to narrow rims the cost of everything including driver buys me some nice xt and xtr 11 speed bits for the Cannondale and Muru. And a wristie.
+1

My timeline for going 12sp perfectly aligns with my ability to purchase 2x chainrings. My 2x11 covers pretty much the same gear range as 1x12