Dash board camera for the car/mbike?

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Does anyone have one, seems there is a lot of choice of specific for this purpose - but I have no idea what brand or how much to spend.

Had a car accident recently where a 'international' driver decided to over take me (I was doing the speed limit) on the left hand side, in a bicycle lane. I didn't see them coming as i was watching the oncoming traffic, as the got 50% past me (with me thinking WTF is this happening) they swerved hard across the front of my car. Then they proceeded to threaten to bash me, until i got out the car and was a foot taller and 40kg heavier + no nonsense face on.

Had some lovely witnesses stop, otherwise it would have been my word against his. Having a camera makes sense - cost a shit load less than excess (even with no claim/fault in 17 years, rating one and all that crap) and would be perfect for no witness moments, just not sure what to get?

downhillar

Likes Dirt
If you have a smartphone there are a couple of free apps out there that you can use, you'll just need a windscreen suction cup mount for your phone.

Otherwise there are a heap of these on ebay that are pretty cheap, unfortunately I haven't tried any of them so I can't tell you if they're any good or not.

NCR600

Likes Dirt
Then they proceeded to threaten to bash me, until i got out the car and was a foot taller and 40kg heavier
Personally, as a 125kg, 6 foot three level headed man, I live for these moments.

Interested in a dash cam myself, but I would prefer a dual system that records out the front and back of the car. It would have been helpful recently where a bus pulled over to pick up passengers and couldn't be arsed to pull completely out of the lane before stopping leaving me no choice (well, not unless you count hitting a moving 5 tonne truck as a choice) but to side swipe his rear RH corner.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Personally, as a 125kg, 6 foot three level headed man, I live for these moments.
We should start a gang. ;)
Rage on the road only exists because stupid people are allowed to operate a vehicle. There should be a new law introduced that allows me; the good guy that knows how to drive and knows the rules and has courtesy towards other users, to drag some useless tool out of a car and hand him his arse for doing shit he shouldn't. The world would be so merry! ;)

MasterOfReality

After forever
Interested as well.

I park my car in an underground carpark which I rent, which is a residential tower in the cbd.

Over the last few weeks a number of dings and scratches have been appearing on the car. This tower is full of international uni students (its a short walk to QUT) and their parents, so it won't surprise me if it has been damaged from people who were driving water buffaloes 6 months ago and are now driving Prados.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
OK, had more of a look around.

Apparently more than a few peeps are also recommending get one with GPS built in for speed and location... not sure a I want to spend the Extra... certainly would not want that on the motorbike on a weekend :)

Maybe the VD-1500 $180 or $220 with GPS.

Obviously not high end, but reasonable cheap and discrete (this is important, anything that looks like a GPS navigator is going to get stolen at the supermarket carpark).

http://www.visiondrive.net.au/VISIONDRIVE%20Specifications/Specs.html