Cycling glasses, prescription or no?

quannum

Likes Dirt
Hey folks,

Ive decided I need to get some cycling glasses, as I’m currently riding wearing my regular prescription glasses and worried I’ll break them, had a fall the other week and damaged a spring!

I’m after some opinions:

If you already need glasses to see, do you wear regular cycling glasses with contact lenses, or have prescription cycling glasses?

What brands / models do you like?

Cheers!

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
This is probably a bit too subjective to get a decent answer because everyone is different.

For example I wear glasses nearly every minute every day except when I'm on a bike. I wear them because my eyes aren't round, so they don't focus properly, but at speed on a bouncing bike nothing is really in fine focus.

Having said that I am considering wearing them for night riding because you lose a fair bit of detail.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
I've been in glasses for a few years now, contacts just don't feel right and go blurry on me after a couple hours. When I buy my glasses, both clear and sunglasses I make sure that they are a design that can be used on the bike. Bugger paying a fortune for prescription cycling glasses when you can buy something near identical from an optometrist that can double as regular glasses..

gregb

Likes Dirt
Been short-sighted for ever. I ride with contact lenses and normal riding glasses.

Not quite off topic, for trail running I use contact lenses, where as street/footpath running my normal glasses are fine.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I wore normal glasses for years then tried contacts for the bike and found it much better being able to wear a range of glasses and goggles for riding.

But eventually got sick of contacts so went and got laser surgery. Hands down best thing I ever did.

Flow-Rider

Burner
This is probably a bit too subjective to get a decent answer because everyone is different.

For example I wear glasses nearly every minute every day except when I'm on a bike. I wear them because my eyes aren't round, so they don't focus properly, but at speed on a bouncing bike nothing is really in fine focus.

Having said that I am considering wearing them for night riding because you lose a fair bit of detail.
That's what I'm like but things can get tough when you need to do a repair, and sometimes I carry some cheap foldable glasses.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Glasses are something I’ve been talking about for a while now. Full sunlight is fine but when the light drops it can be a leap of faith that I know the trail. Trail side repairs are a seriously squinty affair.
It’s inevitable…stupid ageing.

fimpBIKES

Likes Dirt
used to wear disposable contacts, but now find they dry out too quickly

I get mine from www.visiondirect.com.au
cheap as and can claim them on the health fund (if they let you claim sunnys), just leave them in the car

Currently using a spy frame, but find anything with a brand-name plastic frame and around 4 to 6 base curve works well for me
eg these frames are about $155 shipped with tinted lenses

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
used to wear disposable contacts, but now find they dry out too quickly

I get mine from www.visiondirect.com.au
cheap as and can claim them on the health fund (if they let you claim sunnys), just leave them in the car

Currently using a spy frame, but find anything with a brand-name plastic frame and around 4 to 6 base curve works well for me
eg these frames are about $155 shipped with tinted lenses
What a blast... good to 'see' you @fimpBIKES, now GET IN THE CAR!

mooboyj

Likes Dirt
I have Oakley prescription sunnies and made sure they fitted with my car full face and mtb full face. I also have some clear prescription sunnies that are like Oakley's and they fit with both helmets as well. The joys of getting older :/

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm blind without mine so have been riding with them for a while, maybe 10 years?
It's very hard to get good prescription sunglasses which suit me for riding. I've got great ones for driving but the style I want for riding has a rounded lens which seems to mess with the prescription. Last year a got a set which were quite spendy but after 3 attempts they said we can't get them any better because of the lens curvature; it's good in one section but NFG in others.
I just squint if it's sunny.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
My wife and I have Oakley Flax XL 2.0 glasses.
1681252411288.png

Mine has the standard transition lenses and my wife has a transition with a script. She manages an OPSM store so she's good at knowing the best product.

They are great to wear and the transition works really well, I can even wear them at night.

Last edited:

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
My wife and I have Oakley Flax XL 2.0 glasses.
View attachment 398668
Mine has the standard transition lenses and my wife has a transition with a script. She manages an OPSM store so she's good at know the best product.

They are great to wear and the transition works really well, I can even wear them at night.
I have these as well, with a quite dark prizm lens. I drive in them, ride in them, brush cut in them, everything.

Then forget I'm wearing them and go shopping with no issues. They are a fantastic lens, with very little distortion effect.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've been wearing contacts pretty much every day since 1996 so I'm very much in the 'contacts and regular glasses'. And I tend to just use the Aldi glasses as they're cheap and I know I'm going to destroy them/scratch the lenses eventually. I buy a few sets each year and have one setup with clear lenses and one with tinted

quannum

Likes Dirt
Thanks all.

I ended up buying a pair of Oakleys, thanks to the bargain thread. I need to get used to my unadjusted vision with them on - wearing contacts can be my plan b.