court :S

'ello every one

i was wondering how many people have been to court, and could someone please tell me what it is like, (due to the fact i am still wearing wet PJ's :p)
the reason i ask is, a few months back i was mugged on a train on my way home from work, the guy pulled a knife on me and stole my phone, he already had an outstanding arrest warrant, so the cops were laughing, he originally pleaded guilty, but his solicitor requested on numerous occasions the charge be down grade from theft with a weapon to just theft, because this was denied on each occasion he has changed his plea to not-guilty, so last night, the officer who processed everything called me and told me i had to some to court and testify, which brings me to now, and now i am incredibly nervous about the next week to come until court.

cam any one tell what it is like in court and how scary it is?

cheers Alec ; )

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
A few people I work with have had to go to court (been on the recieveing end of shop lifting at work etc) and the general consensus is that it is a royal pain in the arse. Though this directly involves you so I dunno.

My advice, maybe tell the truth on this one.

FoxRidersCo

Sanity is not statistical
The courtroom can be an intimidating place at times because there are lots of people in suits and everything is very formal you will hear lots of conversation between prosecutors and the magistrate/judge and lots of big complicated words will be exchanged.

Seeing you are the victim in this case you won't have to much too worry about because you aren't the one in trouble, you will be asked fairly direct questions by the police prosecutors about what happened during the incident. They will want to hear you back up what you said in the police report about the incident. You may also be questioned by the accused's defense team who are there to try get their client off the charge or a get a reduced jail term.

Once you have finished being questioned, the legal eagles will set about determining the accused's sentence/punishment.

Just remember to tell the truth the whole time and speak clearly and directly when asked questions.

stoff

Likes Dirt
From my experience, when you are being questioned by the people on your side, everything will be fine. As FoxRidersCo said, just answer truthfully and make sure you address the judge by whatever their correct title is. Having said that, the courtroom can be quite an intimidating environment.
When you are being cross-examined by the other blokes defence team, they will tend to keep on going back to the same point a few times in an attempt to trip you up. From experience, when this happens, try not to get frustrated and preface your answers with things like "As I told you the last four times...". The magistrate generally doesn't appreciate it and will respond with a line like, "Mr Adams, you are not the one on trial here". Basically just try to relax, give short answers and stick to your guns and you'll be fine.

Also, be prepared for the fact you may have to go back a few times before it is all said and done. My mate was a witness in a minor armed robbery trial and ended up going to court on about four different occasions for it, and that was just to tell them it could be the bloke but he wasn't sure.

jrewing

Eats Squid
I've been a few times, on the wrong side though. Possibly going again on the right side this time.
Personally i enjoy it as an experience. you get to watch the other cases that preceed you, which can be pretty hilarious.
Go for it.

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
well i have seen my fare share of judge judy and the liars always get proven a liar! ha ha judge judy

i dont know why im so nervous, im the VICTIM!
Hahaha, judge judy. What a slag.

I've been a few times, on the wrong side though. Possibly going again on the right side this time.
Personally i enjoy it as an experience. you get to watch the other cases that preceed you, which can be pretty hilarious.
Go for it.
Yeah, I've been on the receiving end before... not heaps of fun, but its entertaining to chuckle under your breath at all the numpty bogans who got caught with 9 grams of ice.
Just tell the truth and you'll be sweet.

bellto

Likes Dirt
when my first bike got stolen {It was Black.....} i had the opportunity to go to court to get the guy prosecuted, [ummmm, it was only a $250 fine for him if i went, he was going for other reasons anyway] i decided not to because, well to be honest, indirectly my parents and the rest of the workers in australia would be paying, if ya know what i mean........... plus, in small town like where i used to live, people of that (cough cough) "type" were pretty, how do you say...... head fucked. I suppose i thought that if i did i would get chased down.

However, after i didnt proceed in the court system, this particular group of people seemed to be nice to me......

well i figure if i look like this innocent little boy with a right, maybe left hand side part definitely not center. with some leather shoes i have clearly purchased for the occasion and a button up shit with a collar my looks should do all the talking, so i can sit there and listen to my ipod and watch it all unfold, pefect ;)
lol
Alec ; )

l +Jarrod+ l

Likes Dirt
Went to court when i was a kid fair few times. I just sat in the TV room and said what i thought was right. Shame you dont get the TV deal. Absorb and learn from the experience, dig in!

l +Jarrod+ l

Likes Dirt
when my first bike got stolen {It was Black.....} i had the opportunity to go to court to get the guy prosecuted, [ummmm, it was only a $250 fine for him if i went, he was going for other reasons anyway] i decided not to because, well to be honest, indirectly my parents and the rest of the workers in australia would be paying, if ya know what i mean........... plus, in small town like where i used to live, people of that (cough cough) "type" were pretty, how do you say...... head fucked. I suppose i thought that if i did i would get chased down.

However, after i didnt proceed in the court system, this particular group of people seemed to be nice to me......
Does that have anything to do with helping the bloke out?
Not everybody needs or even wants to hear your story, especially without any encouraging words or messages that you may have learnt from the experience.

gr33ky

Likes Dirt
I was a witness to a car crash whilst waiting for a bus and both the insurance companies thought that it was the other who would have to pay for the repairs.
Basically, I had to make a fair few statements and then finally went to court in the city. They just ask questions that relate to your statement and if theres anything you don't seem to be %100 sure of, the opposition will ask you questions. In my case they tried to make me change my answer using different forms of questions.
Just stick to what you need to say.. Try to save very little. Yes. No. Don't elaborate on your answer unless they ask specifically.
I was quite intimidated at the time with everyone wearing suits. Me wearing casual clothes and a broken wrist.