Contour or Go Pro?

Josh Seksy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
GoPro - Chest Harness, enough said.

Had a Contour before it, sold it for the GoPro, never looked back.

I've got both.. the Contour looks better, but the GoPro works better. Video quality is way better (GoPro HD Hero 2).

Buy the GoPro.

pmitch

Likes Bikes
I run both Contour & GoPro. There are a couple of new kids on the block with plenty of promise.

For the price concious, there is the Liquid Image ego. Only $199AUD with built in Wi-Fi. I have tested one of these out and it doesn't quite have the video quality of the GoPro HERO2, but it is pretty close.
http://www.liquidimageco.com

The best of the new cameras we have tested is the GoBandit. It comes in two versions. The GoBandit RACE ($399AUD) and the GoBandit LIVE ($549AUD). Both have GPS and G-Force sensors, as well as 1080p@30fps and 720p@60fps. The GoBandit RACE also has gyro sensors and connects to ANT+ heart rate monitors for recording heart rate.
http://www.gobandit.com

bna

Cannon Fodder
I shot a direct comparison between the new Sony Action Cam and the the GoPro Hero2. On the MTB we are dealing with a lot more vibration and video frame movement so interesting to see how they compare. Youtube cuts down the video quality quite a bit, these were shot at 1080p and the Sony with the Sony Handlebar mount and the GoPro with the K-Edge GO BIG pro mount.

[video=youtube;yhQ9nt0XTDA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhQ9nt0XTDA[/video]

The second video is just the Sony and a mix of handlebar mounted shots and stationary and hand-held. At the end is a short sequence with the head mount, this is without the waterproof case and essentially doesn't work with a normal helmet, but would work for a full-face helmet: Sony Action Cam XC Mountain Biking

bna

Cannon Fodder
Would love to give that a go. Their MTB video with Steve Peat shows a lot of crystal clear stationary footage which is smooth by most cameras, the mounted images with the camera facing forward look promising.

ive have a go pro here 2 and ive used a contour top of the range and then a medium range one
the top of the range contour and the here 2 have the same picture quality and things but.. there are alooot more mounts that you can get for the go pro and there easyer to find
the lower end contour i wouldnt go near the quility is to bad for my liking
but the thingi like about the high end contours is that they have the gps wich is nice

danthebloke

Likes Dirt
Its available on the 12th dec ,i got mine from Launch in perth,WA.I also ordered the surfboard and handle bar mount,it only comes with helmet mounts.
More features and better design, makes the gopro look like nanas old toaster mounted to your helmet.

Beej1

Since folk are mentioning alternatives to GoPro or Contour, has anyone heard much about CamOne?

I've been looking into the CamOne Infinity: http://www.camonetec.com/

It's essentially a GoPro 2 HD, but with built in LCD screen and interchangeable lenses.

And cheaper.

And it's water/shock proof box is compatible with all GoPro mounts apparently.

Some reviews of footage on YouTube and Vimeo seem to show a less saturated picture compared to the GoPro. Some purists indicate this makes it a better unit. But to be honest, if it is over-saturation that makes GoPro videos look the way they do, then I think I like the GoPro video quality more. But I like the built in screen and changeable lens on the CamOne more again.

I'm going to try and find out more about it - not mentioned much in many forums so far.

(apologies for hijack)

Edit: Comaprison of GoPro 2, CamOne, Drift and another call Actionpro:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oioC5eHrjf0

Last edited:

Rendog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Would those people who are buying the Drift camera like to chime in on why they actually think it's better than the GoPro's?

danthebloke

Likes Dirt
Rendog,click on the link in my post and you can read for yourself the many reasons why the Drift Ghost is better than the GoPro .Eg,viewing screen for proper set up,remote control,water proof to 3 meters without a housing up to 60 meters with one,built in WIFI ,looks like a camera not a toaster.
Just my 2c ,i can give a report when i get it.

Yet1

Likes Dirt
Rendog,click on the link in my post and you can read for yourself the many reasons why the Drift Ghost is better than the GoPro .Eg,viewing screen for proper set up,remote control,water proof to 3 meters without a housing up to 60 meters with one,built in WIFI ,looks like a camera not a toaster.
Just my 2c ,i can give a report when i get it.
Haha, the GoPro does look like a toaster! The Drift can be mounted sideways or on top with the lens rotated to get the picture the right orientation. The big winner for me of the Drift vs all the other ones are the remote control (so I can start stop when ever I want easily) plus the screen so I can review footage/camera orientation on the side of the trail. And looks like less of a toaster! (I ride road motorcyles and trust me you feel the resistance of the GoPro when you exceed about 60km/hr - you hardly feel the drift ones.)

bna

Cannon Fodder
I found that the GoPro mounts are really versatile, or more exactly, the mounts it comes with a really poor however with a fair bit of DIY you can set it up quite well and use cable ties around the body to attach or reinforce (and eliminate vibration). As bulky as the GoPro feels in comparison, it has also been more accommodating to mounting in different ways. The k-edge GO BIG saddle and Go BIG pro handlebar mounts are a worthwhile investment BTW.

Agree completely on the Contours - lower range camera video quality is questionable. The Contour handlebar mount is a disaster on a bike unless you are riding hot mix. On a helmet it's fine though I trust the GoPro more for the waterproofing.

Need to look into the drift, if they have a great handlebar mount looks promising - and looks like it could offer flexibility for mounting on the seat tube, possibly forks and seat stays. The Sony Cam has a wifi connecting to the smart phone which is a little shaky but allows you to change settings and check the field of vision. The GoPro Hero Original won't allow this, the Hero 2 with a $100 wifi backpack (which I havn't tested) and the Hero 3 is built in.

Washa!

Likes Bikes
Gopro 2

Go for the gopro! I have been running a go pro 2 all season once you work out a good angle its an awesome camera! from what i have seen contour doenst produce footage anywhere near as good as the gopro2 Have you made up your mind yet?

Topperharley

Likes Dirt
Haha! Santa (wicked awesome wife) brought me a shiny GoToast 3 Black! Sweet. So that solved everything. Boxing Day is now for beer, cricket and tinkering....

rone

Eats Squid
Haha! Santa (wicked awesome wife) brought me a shiny GoToast 3 Black! Sweet. So that solved everything. Boxing Day is now for beer, cricket and tinkering....
What is this GoToast that you talk of? I got the silver, so similar crisis averted.

I got a GoPro3 Black.

I'm seriously impressed with the video footage at 1080p and 720p. I've had it attached to my car, in the surf, in the pool and on my helmet and handlebars for some runs down the new Hornsby Track.

Got too much sideways movement to make the handle bar position usable without getting motion sickness. Mounted on the helmet produced much better results I felt.

Tell me, how have you guys found the GoPro updates ? The java applet seemed to be very buggy and didn't really update the firmware correctly, I was able to update mine manually. BUT, I'm still not happy with the firmware - Is anyone else getting freezes ? I get locked into a camera mode (camera icon on the screen holds and buttons are dead), which causes me to remove the battery to get it going again.

Be interested if anyone else has had issues with the unit ?

A.