Confessions from the fuckwits

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Did the same thing with the angle grinder a few years ago. Was modifying a bike rack for a month-long road trip at 2am the morning of our departure. Deliriously tired I start grinding away, getting righteously vicious on the offending plate. 15min later I stand up to realise all of the sparks & hot metal shmeg has been blasting up the passenger side window of my girlfriend's car. Definitely felt like a complete fuckwit. $460 later. She hears the grinder start these days & she comes running...can't blame her.

Also have ballsed up, ignoring hot sparks from the angle grinder.

Had just retiled the laundry, was trimming the pipe fitting for new taps and burnt the wall tiles from floor to ceiling. Had no other option but to retile that wall.

Ghostee

Likes Dirt
Got caught in a storm on the trails yesterday afternoon, many km from the car.
Options getting back included boring wet fire road or fun wet trails, chose the latter.
Bad choice, came off on slippery roots and somehow managed to kick my big toe, only my big toe, into a tree stump.
Now he is broken. And turning 50 shades of purple already.
:der:

submit

Likes Bikes
Had a 30T chain ring in my bag passing the airport security scanner and a bottle of contact lens cleaner. Security was convinced that it was a weapon with sharp edges (shuriken maybe?) and had to be discarded. I argued, perhaps a bit too loud and almost got locked up.
Lesson learnt: attitude adjustment or don't bring bike parts in your carry-on

Last edited:

stirk

Burner
Had a 30T sprocket in my bag passing the airport security scanner and a bottle of contact lens cleaner. Security is convinced that it is a weapon with sharp edges (shuriken?) and had to be discarded. I argued, perhaps a bit too loud and almost got locked up.
A pen can be used as a waepon, bastards. In saying that chain rings can get sharp though. I want to see a movie now where the ninja are throwing NW rings at each other.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Had a 30T chain ring in my bag passing the airport security scanner and a bottle of contact lens cleaner. Security was convinced that it was a weapon with sharp edges (shuriken maybe?) and had to be discarded. I argued, perhaps a bit too loud and almost got locked up.

Dont get caught with a retractable packing knife in your carry on and thorium from tungsten welding rods on your hands, the thorium sets off the radioactive partial sampler as " radioactive"

You get hussled into a back room so fast you don't have time to blink

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Did you have to surrender the 30t ring?

nakedape

Likes Dirt
Have set fire to testicles, using above method. Only thing worse is welding in gumboots and dropping slag down them....
You're not really trying till you set fire to your nuts with a grinder.

As for welding - try welding overhead and having sparks and slag drop down your shirt/pants.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
You're not really trying till you set fire to your nuts with a grinder.

As for welding - try welding overhead and having sparks and slag drop down your shirt/pants.
^^this.

I've had it that bad I've had to resort to drapping myself in a fire blanket. Welding slag sucks. Also copping it down laced boots. By the time i got my shoe off the damage had been done.

OT, yesterday my wheels arrived, thought I'd take the old ones out for a last hurrah before i did the swap. I was riding abit harder than usual for the obvious reasons.

Low and behold i rip the tyre off the rim, destroying the tyre and totalling wha was to be my spare front and giving me a nice 40min hikeabike out. All because i thought id try to air into a rockgarden rather than skim through.

doubles

Squid

I had to give up my favourite swiss army knife after I changed carry-on bags at the last moment but didn't check the pockets. I would love to go mano-a-mano with that clown, he with my tiny blade and me with a one litre bottle of smirnoff. No contest I reckon!

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had to give up my favourite swiss army knife after I changed carry-on bags at the last moment but didn't check the pockets. I would love to go mano-a-mano with that clown, he with my tiny blade and me with a one litre bottle of smirnoff. No contest I reckon!
on more than one occasion I've realised I still have one on me and discretely buried it in the garden bed out front, pick it up a week later when I get back. No worries. If they see it on you in the queue no dice.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
New Anthem in the wars again... Overdid it tightening the maxle through axle on the RS Revelations, mangled the collar... It doesn't screw in smoothly anymore so thats getting binned.

Didn't take the time to get off the bike and properly lift it over the massive rock ledge, so trying to walk up straddling the bike means I dragged the left carbon XO1 crank on the rock - new gouge.

I think the more a bike costs, the more likely you'll do something dumb and damage it...

Klips

Likes Dirt
I have had a db inline for 8 months.

Today I was told, by someone correct, that I had been using the climb switch in reverse. I had been climbing in descend, and descending in climb. It's even marked on the little lever, I had just never looked.

What a fuckwit.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
New Anthem in the wars again... Overdid it tightening the maxle through axle on the RS Revelations, mangled the collar...
The RS through-axle design is a heap of shit for exactly that reason. I guess they couldn't completely escape the SRAM custom of fucking something up.

stirk

Burner
New Anthem in the wars again... Overdid it tightening the maxle through axle on the RS Revelations, mangled the collar... It doesn't screw in smoothly anymore so thats getting binned.

Didn't take the time to get off the bike and properly lift it over the massive rock ledge, so trying to walk up straddling the bike means I dragged the left carbon XO1 crank on the rock - new gouge.

I think the more a bike costs, the more likely you'll do something dumb and damage it...
You need some bootie protection

I have had a db inline for 8 months.

Today I was told, by someone correct, that I had been using the climb switch in reverse. I had been climbing in descend, and descending in climb. It's even marked on the little lever, I had just never looked.

What a fuckwit.
Must be a good shock to hide your fuckwittery!

submit

Likes Bikes
So after all that episode at the airport, sold my Wolf Tooth 32t to get a 30t. Decided to get a Blackspire for half the price but it turns out the Blackspire chain ring mounts on the inside of the crank as opposed to outside and didn't have enough clearance to the frame. $170 later and two chain rings are pretty upsetting especially when considering how bad our dollar is..