(compressed) air tank.

chrischris

Likes Dirt
I'm not too interested in getting an air compressor, but an 'air tank' seems like a cheap & easy way to inflate tubeless tyres.

http://www.aironboard.com.au/online...urners-on-off-spot-driving-car-light-ute.html

A 4L tank as such with a few attachments should do the trick. A quick trip down to Pirtek would take care of any attachment queries. Has anyone tried this?

My 2L coke bottle experiment works on rare occasions, but mostly just causes more frustration. Just not enough output power with the coke bottle. (FYI, I've found that Rubena tyres pump up too easy with my floor pump. Maxxis Ikon tyres are a PITA to get seated.) In case you've never heard of the 'coke bottle' tank, check this out ----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtmatxJG_zg

Attachments

Last edited:

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Understand not wanting to get a compressor, but a Supercheap air compressor on sale for ~$100 with attachments isn't bad in comparison to that tank.

I wonder if a borrowed beer keg could serve a similar purpose, for cheaper.

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
Maybe I'm lucky or just very talented but I've never had any problems inflating tubeless tyres at the servo, touch wood....

redbruce

Eats Squid
I'm not too interested in getting an air compressor, but an 'air tank' seems like a cheap & easy way to inflate tubeless tyres.

http://www.aironboard.com.au/online...urners-on-off-spot-driving-car-light-ute.html

A 4L tank as such with a few attachments should do the trick. A quick trip down to Pirtek would take care of any attachment queries. Has anyone tried this?

My 2L coke bottle experiment works on rare occasions, but mostly just causes more frustration. Just not enough output power with the coke bottle. (FYI, I've found that Rubena tyres pump up too easy with my floor pump. Maxxis Ikon tyres are a PITA to get seated.) In case you've never heard of the 'coke bottle' tank, check this out ----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtmatxJG_zg
Mate was using a 9kg gas cylinder for years. Worked oK for small volume use.

His needs changed and has now bought a Bunnings compressor unit.

chrischris

Likes Dirt
Understand not wanting to get a compressor, but a Supercheap air compressor on sale for ~$100 with attachments isn't bad in comparison to that tank.
I'm now wondering *if* my current coke bottle tubing is 5mm internal diameter. I'll have to check...

Having said that, a $100 super cheap compressor with attachments is cheap. Does it provide enough burst to seat the tyres? It's the 'burst' that I'm chasing.

Another point is that I have almost zero space in my garage. Another tool (while awesome!) is just not going to fit well. The 4L air tank is quite small.

moorey

call me Mia
Maybe I'm lucky or just very talented but I've never had any problems inflating tubeless tyres at the servo, touch wood....
Servo isn't always close, or convenient...nor is it portable. Up at a place like Buller, you're an hour minimum from a servo. Ideal set up is a good 4x4 mini compressor in your car, and using it to pump up one of these.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
you can buy disposable nitrogen cylinders and regs from aircon/refrigeration wholesalers and ebay, just have to make an adaptor to connect the tyre reg from an air compressor..all for prob under $100, but no power required - so can use anywhere..get more than a few tyres on the one cylinder

moorey

call me Mia
I'm now wondering *if* my current coke bottle tubing is 5mm internal diameter. I'll have to check...

Having said that, a $100 super cheap compressor with attachments is cheap. Does it provide enough burst to seat the tyres? It's the 'burst' that I'm chasing.

Another point is that I have almost zero space in my garage. Another tool (while awesome!) is just not going to fit well. The 4L air tank is quite small.
Theres enough burst in a cheap compressor, mine is a 5yo super cheap one and works fine for this. I've had the seat a couple of pesky tubeless recently, and for difficult ones, the 4lt tank probably wouldn't have had enough juice before losing high pressure needed for the required burst. Some tyres have seated with a floor pump first time though, so I guess it comes down to your setup.

GeoffRidesBikes

Likes Dirt

Pretty sure just something like this would do the job sufficiently.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-24l-1-5hp-compact-air-compressor_p6290318

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/on...x?pid=296171&menuFrom=1021507#Recommendations

When seating tubeless tyres with my 2hp/40L combo i feel like it's overkill. I only have a supercheap compressor, this one:

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/on...x?pid=223419&menuFrom=1021507#Recommendations

I bought it on sale over 4 years ago and have used it for way more than i intended. It's worked very, very hard and i got my value for money 2 years ago i think.

You really can't downplay the convenience of compressed air around the house, especially if you're the least bit "handy". My most commonly used air tools are my chipping hammer, rattle gun, inflator and just a simple air blower.

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
Use a tube to seat the tyre then break one side of the bead to remove the tube, it helps form the tyre if it's been folded up for ages also and should be easier as one side is already mounted. If you buy a cheap ass compressor try and use larger air line fittings, the cheap ones that they come with are very restrictive.

chrischris

Likes Dirt
Use a tube to seat the tyre then break one side of the bead to remove the tube, it helps form the tyre if it's been folded up for ages also and should be easier as one side is already mounted. If you buy a cheap ass compressor try and use larger air line fittings, the cheap ones that they come with are very restrictive.
Thanks for the tip. I've tried EVERYTHING with my Maxxis Ikon tyres/American Classic rims, and nothing works except an air compressor. Other brands have been easier, especially Rubena.

moorey

call me Mia
Thanks for the tip. I've tried EVERYTHING with my Maxxis Ikon tyres/American Classic rims, and nothing works except an air compressor. Other brands have been easier, especially Rubena.
I'm the opposite. Maxxis (minion/hr2) easy, swobble (nn, rr, ff) hard :noidea:

gc49

Likes Bikes
you can buy disposable nitrogen cylinders and regs from aircon/refrigeration wholesalers and ebay, just have to make an adaptor to connect the tyre reg from an air compressor..all for prob under $100, but no power required - so can use anywhere..get more than a few tyres on the one cylinder
Similar to me.

While I don't use disposable cylinders, I have a G size nitrogen bottle with regulator and hose from BOC, and a servo pump end in the hose (can't remember where I got that from, was years ago, might also have been them). Bottle rental is about $40 or $50 a year from memory, and takes about 2 to 3 years for me to go through it for my other hobby (why I have it) before I go in and swap to a full bottle, so using it for seating tubeless bike tyres is a good added benefit that doesn't impact any. You could easily use one of the smaller bottles for cheaper, depending on the cost of the disposable ones fatboy mentioned (whichever is more cost effective for bike tyres).

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Similar to me.

While I don't use disposable cylinders, I have a G size nitrogen bottle with regulator and hose from BOC, and a servo pump end in the hose (can't remember where I got that from, was years ago, might also have been them). Bottle rental is about $40 or $50 a year from memory, and takes about 2 to 3 years for me to go through it for my other hobby (why I have it) before I go in and swap to a full bottle, so using it for seating tubeless bike tyres is a good added benefit that doesn't impact any. You could easily use one of the smaller bottles for cheaper, depending on the cost of the disposable ones fatboy mentioned (whichever is more cost effective for bike tyres).
that bottle rent sounds a little too cheap to me, I was paying $45 a quarter from BOC but that was argon not N - and that was for a D size.
I think most disposable bottles contain about 2cubic metres, which would add up to quite a few tyres

gc49

Likes Bikes
that bottle rent sounds a little too cheap to me, I was paying $45 a quarter from BOC but that was argon not N - and that was for a D size.
I think most disposable bottles contain about 2cubic metres, which would add up to quite a few tyres
You might be right. We were getting staff discount originally, and it might have gone up since then (been ages since I really looked at the cost).