Comedic View: P Plate drivers are unprepared for the roads

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Well, I've noticed a few threads appearing about P plate behaviour and how inappropriate and dangerous their driving is when compared to other, more responsible road users. As such I have worked out an effective way to remedy the issue. For those unfamiliar with the Learner License in the ACT, to obtain P plates the driver must pass 22 competencies in a log book. Each competency is a skill required for safe driving on the roads.

Last edited:

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
In light of the recent changes to P plate driver legislation, aimed primarily at reducing the frequency of young drivers’ involvement in fatal accidents, it becomes manifestly clear that P plate drivers are unprepared for the roads. Perennially overlooked by politicians, educators and parents alike, preparedness is a key issue. The Road Ready course is founded on solid principles, but somewhat optimistically equips drivers for ideal road conditions where driver behaviour is in accordance with standard road rules. Unfortunately this is far from the norm. Instead, young drivers require to be educated with a more fundamental, practical driving knowledge; how to not only survive, but excel against the belligerent mass of reckless drivers who clutter the roadways. The standard version Log Book with its twenty two driver competencies is inadequate as a learning tool and as such some additional competencies should be considered. These competencies could be taught by careful observation and role modelling of the various personalities on the road, each with a unique lesson in safety (survival) to imbue.

The best defence is a strong offence, hence in the interests of defensive driving, young drivers should learn how to fight back. ‘Low risk behaviour’, an identifiable goal of NRMA, is sound in theory, but on the roads it merely translates into perceived weakness as P platers are encouraged to display timid driving habits. This results in their being taken advantage of and targeted by other drivers neglecting to display comparable low risk behaviour. Competency 23 therefore should be Offensive Driving, ranging from pre-emptive strike to urban combat, modelled by the rush hour conglomerate.

Repeatedly, news reports tell of cars driven by P plate drivers which lose traction, forfeit control and crash. Losing traction however need not inherently result in a crash. It is simply the associated loss of control that is the issue and clearly, young drivers need to be able to control a sliding car. Currently, Competency 6 which concerns itself with steering control, only requires the young driver to ‘demonstrate an ability to maintain lane position’. New Competency 24, Seriously Sideways Drifting, could be taught by the various plumbers, builders and brickies who are highly proficient in this skill. Driving over-powered utes that already display the handling characteristics of an ocean liner, these aspiring stunt drivers gleefully spend much time sideways and have plenty to offer the novice driver.

Faced with the familiar frustration of a driver blocking traffic, the one who steadfastly refuses to pull over and drive more considerately, a new technique is required to prevent drastic and potentially risky overtaking manoeuvres. Young drivers can consider role modelling Competency 25, Advanced Tailgating, which could be effectively taught by taxi drivers. These failed formula one drivers have an uncanny ability to follow within centimetres of the car in front, never wavering, never relenting in their pursuit. This coercion is sufficient to persuade even the most obstinate driver to move out of the way.

Competency 18 encompassing eight separate skills, sensibly suggests a vehicle requires a minimum of three seconds between it and the car in front. Simple maths therefore shows a lane change at 70km/hr necessitates waiting for a 120m gap to pull into. Instead, observe Cannonball, the socially disinclined truck driver. Having driven a nine hour shift supported by an exotic cocktail of mood enhancers, legal or otherwise, he is ready to embrace the world. He comes harmlessly armed with mullet, tattoos and a sixty tonne truck; the ideal character to teach young drivers just how to change lanes on those crowded roads. There is distinct skill in his technique, with obvious parallels to Nike’s ‘Just Do It ®’, irrespective of whom or what is in the lane. Competency 18 rather confusingly requires the young driver to demonstrate eight separate skills whilst driving at only 70km/hr. This of course is wholly inadequate faced with a freeway experience at some 110km/hr where the vehicle is moving much too fast to concurrently review eight procedures and find a gap now 185m long. Competency 26, The Cannonball Cross, provides an additional skill set to complement the more traditionally taught method of mirror/headcheck/signal/manouvere which obviously becomes redundant. Cannonball’s simultaneous signal/manoeuvre is perfectly adequate.

Once this competency has been mastered, Competency 27, The Mad Dog Lane Change can be attempted by closely observing the same instructor. Quite simply, locate a large, crowded highway with a minimum five lanes each direction and in one grand motion, change from far right to far left.

One of the single greatest hazards novice drivers face on the road is elderly drivers. With a Choice Reaction Time (CRT) some 50% slower than the young, (Green, 2000) combined with age typical onset dementia, they are an entirely unpredictable group of road users. Licensed some sixty years ago, when the principal goal of safe driving was not sending the local bicycle mounted policeman to an early grave, they have never heard of and are almost universally ambivalent towards, the concept of driver competencies. While on the roads, take no comfort from the familiar doctrine, ‘age brings wisdom.’ From blatant disregard of all posted speed limits for travel in school zones and on open roads alike, to traffic flow issues resulting from a prolonged and complete stop at all mini roundabouts and giveway signs, the seriously elderly should be avoided under all circumstances. Since this is rarely practicable however, Competency 28, Aged Avoidance, requiring a combination of lightening reflexes and supreme vigilance, teaches young drivers adaptive behaviour to avoid the irregular elderly. It is best taught by an off duty fighter pilot trained in combat avoidance.

Finally, to the quintessential soccer mum on Saturday morning, who has swapped her usual compact, but parking friendly Smart Fortwo Coupé for the family 4 wheel drive in order to tackle the soccer run. More accustomed to her regular urban mobility with its unparalleled ‘intelligent design and intelligent safety concept’ (Smart fortwo, 2008) Mum has neglected to make any driving adjustments for the Pajero’s apparent lack of intelligence. Still struggling herself with Competency 1, Identifying Vehicle Controls, it is apparent she is fully occupied substituting and resubstituting the wipers for the indicators, the heating system for the radio and the speedometer for the rev counter. Clearly multitasking to capacity, she is completely unaware other drivers are sharing the road. Competency 29, Street Smart Driving, can be successfully demonstrated by the motorbike rider, another much maligned and vulnerable road user. Adept at forcing visibility, radical defensive moves and hasty escape tricks, he is an excellent role model for surviving Mum’s weekend excursions.

Through the considered addition of these seven new driver competencies, bringing the total to twenty nine, the young driver is now equipped to manage an undeniably more comprehensive range of driving conditions. As such, there should be a significant reduction in the number of fatal accidents involving young, provisional drivers. Preparation is everything and this real world education is essential in preventing young drivers becoming another statistic. As the Road Transport Authority’s Chief Safety Officer noted, “we are sending a message to young drivers to change their behaviour.” (Hildebrande 2007). Watch and learn kids, watch and learn!

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
This was written as a creative task for a y12 English course, comedy and satire. I recognise that there are certainly p plate drivers who do drive irresponsibly, but this is a minority who give the majority a bad name. The media has simply latched onto the idea of reckless p plate drivers and knows that people will read the stories; as such it gets way more coverage than it deserves. Of all the drivers on the road, P platers get a bad rap because they are so readily identifiable due to the big red P on the car. As such any mistake is readily identifiable and quickly attributed to the P plate image.

Discuss.

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Haven't we had enough? It's a bit overkill now.

Sorry, but that's how I feel.

Edit: couldn't be bother reading the text. Discard my dribble if need be.

NCR600

Likes Dirt
Nice bit o'work there.

Of course P platers are easily identifiable. That's the whole idea of the plates! When I first started riding motorbikes, P plates quickly became an easy identifier for fuck-witted driving behaviour. They still are, but not the only one. A BMW, frangipanni stickers, any large sticker, a sticker proclaiming alleigence to a private school, are all excellent examples for idiotic behaviour identifiers.

I think you could expand on this further, Wes!

Oliver.

Liquid Productions
Brilliant! Very funny read.
I think the simultaneous 5-lane change maneuver is one of the most fundamental P-plater driving skills.

TheBofh

Likes Dirt
Thank you for bringing several chuckles to my morning. I would also like to thank BMW for making cars in red which easily identifies the driver as a roadhog.

stoff

Likes Dirt
Great Post.

Seriously Sideways Drifting, could be taught by the various plumbers, builders and brickies who are highly proficient in this skill. Driving over-powered utes that already display the handling characteristics of an ocean liner, these aspiring stunt drivers gleefully spend much time sideways and have plenty to offer the novice driver.
I know of a plumbing company that bought 5 new utes on a Friday. All left the dealership driveway sideways. 2 of the utes were written off over that first weekend.

Last edited:

Steve Angel

Likes Bikes
Having been on the road as a motorcyclist for years and recently passing my car licence, therefor escaping the P plate and getting on the road in the car straight off as a fully qualified driver, I found this article fascinating, and an invaluable source of referance material in honing my skills. Thankyou, ever so much, have you any more tips?:D

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
How does one go about sending it to a paper? And are any papers more likely to accept this sort of story than others?

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Bump. When i first posted this there were a heap of "P platers are evil" threads. So i think people blew this one off. I want to see if it sparks any discussion when brought back to the top. If not, I'll let it go