Coffee Drinkers Anonymous

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
In the interests of getting more consistent brews I bought me one of these.

I have been weighing the grounds and will add a little more to get to 23g as my last couple were 20g or so. The total output is 48g so I think if I leave the tamping collar where it is an add the extra ground up beans I should get very close to a 2:1 ratio. More coffee to be drunk.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
My milk frothing jug is a wee bit too small to do two large cups/mugs in a single bound so I bought a larger jug but I cannot get the milk to be as silky as the smaller jug.

Is this simply a case of an increase in ΔV which means an increase in M resulting in too low a δT/δt as I am steam limited?

Brow

Big Block
My milk frothing jug is a wee bit too small to do two large cups/mugs in a single bound so I bought a larger jug but I cannot get the milk to be as silky as the smaller jug.

Is this simply a case of an increase in ΔV which means an increase in M resulting in too low a δT/δt as I am steam limited?
Sounds to like you need a beer!

ausdb

Being who he is

Yes,
Quite likely or it could be that your technique still hasn't quite adjusted to the new jug. Is your steam tip a multi hole one or single? If multi try blocking one hole in the steam tip with a toothpick temporarily. If that improves then get a tip with smaller holes.
Actually I forgot you have a lathe, you could machine a new one.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Volume vs steam pressure is your enemy. You need that vortex pumping way down deep into your just and binding everything together.

Post a photo of how you are lining the jug up on the wand. Technique may play a part as well or offer a partial solution.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Volume vs steam pressure is your enemy. You need that vortex pumping way down deep into your just and binding everything together.

Post a photo of how you are lining the jug up on the wand. Technique may play a part as well or offer a partial solution.
Maybe I need to go deeper! Seems a goodly vortex. Will try that.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Maybe I need to go deeper! Seems a goodly vortex. Will try that.
Yes and no...it's one of those "you'll feel it..." kind and of things. With the deeper technique, get the milk spinning at the surface then slide down about halfway. keep an eye on the vortex and make sure it's keeping a good rhythm. This method can also screw you over and give you a lot of useless merrange rather than silk. Trial and error. You may find laying your jug over really flat and having a bigger oval shaped surface works as well. This will also create a more triangular shape to how your milk sits in the jug as the bottom corner kind of forms a "point" like an inverted pyramid.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
no too low dT/dt simply means you have to increase T. The issue is more likely dx(radius_of_jug)/dt. that is the output velocity limitations of the wand are not creating vortex enough. Try a taller mug but same diameter.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
It certainly creates enough temperature but doesn't mix / blend so I was thinking too slow but I will try pood's experiment with the vortex and then if that is no go will try a smaller δx.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I was just looking at the deals at alternative brewing for a cold brew set up ( @pink poodle what do you use?)

But they also have the Rancilio and Gaggia too which might be what you're after - I have no experience with them though:

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Oh speaking of cold brew - one of my mates makes it with coconut water. Sounds shit. Its not. Give it a try. I usually hate coconut water, but it just brings something else to the brew