Coffee Drinkers Anonymous

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I know @Tubbsy had one in the past but has anyone else had or used a La Pavoni Europiccola? Whilst I would love a vintage single group spring lever machine to restore I can't see that happening soon. It wouldn't be a daily driver more a weekend toy.
Well I can certainly recommend them. Online parts are plentiful and they go forever, buy in price isn't high. I still have mine.

Takes a little while to nail the sweet spot for making good coffee, where the LMLM I have now just demolishes it in every way.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Do you guys service your machines? How often?
Depends on how often they are used. If you only make 3-4 coffees a day and keep them clean, they can go years between needing a service.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
I'm currently brewing with a Rancilio Silvia v2 (domestic not pro) and Rancilio Rocky, both purchased used; $160 and $150 respectively, off Scumtree. The espresso machine required a new boiler gasket which was $5. It took about 3 months to learn to make decent coffee; well worth the cost and effort.

PXL_20240219_220900517.jpg

Do you guys service your machines? How often?
Yes, drinking at least one cup per day, I descale once per month with commercial descale solution. I also backwash twice per month. But this also depends on the water you use; here in Sydney for example I find the water low in mineral.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Mine makes maybe 4-5 coffees a week, usually on weekends.
Hasn't been descaled for aaages as I put filtered water in it. Went for its first service in 4 years last year as the grouphead gasket needed replacing and was pretty clean inside.
Needs a service again as the hot water tap is leaking but thats it

zooks

Likes Dirt
Thanks All! Mines just over 2 years old. I like to think i keep it pretty clean :)

The hot water nozzle/tap isnt working (for tea/long blacks etc), not sure if i should take in for service ($180'ish) or try fix it myself at home

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Thanks All! Mines just over 2 years old. I like to think i keep it pretty clean :)

The hot water nozzle/tap isnt working (for tea/long blacks etc), not sure if i should take in for service ($180'ish) or try fix it myself at home
It might just be scaled up, but I have no idea how you'd unblock it without taking it apart.
Is it a big deal? I ask as I don't use mine (although it is whats leaking now), I normally use the kettle instead as the wifes normally not long made herself a tea! If it's not, save yourself the bother.

zooks

Likes Dirt
It might just be scaled up, but I have no idea how you'd unblock it without taking it apart.
Is it a big deal? I ask as I don't use mine (although it is whats leaking now), I normally use the kettle instead as the wifes normally not long made herself a tea! If it's not, save yourself the bother.
haha nah never really use it. Maybe twice over the 2 years ive had it

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
I bought (on impulse ffs) a Grimac La Uno for about $60; the seller assured me it worked, but for $60 i didn't care if it didnt. Currently restoring it, the boiler was heavily scaled with about 1mm thick soot (totally gross). Took about 4 nights of heavy descaling to remove it. After that, i make sure I descale my Silvia ;)

Attachments

ausdb

Being who he is
I bought (on impulse ffs) a Grimac La Uno for about $60;

After that, i make sure I descale my Silvia ;)
Nice pickup
As far as descaling the Silvia, I wonder which one will scale up quicker the HX or SBDU, my bet is on the HX.