Chinese steel quality

sam705

Likes Dirt
I'm building a new tray for my ute out of 75mm and 63mm black gas pipe. I've got quoted prices for both sizes from Surdex as well as a local place that gets their steel from China. The Local place ended up being around $10 cheaper on both sizes, let alone being right around the corner from where i will be building my tray (easy delivery), where as Surdex is 15-20 minutes away.

Is there any noticible differences between Chinese steel and the steel Surdex stock (assuming BlueScope?)

I plan on getting the steel mandrel bent 75 degrees at most, therefore questioning steel quality as that is quite a long way to bend tube.

downhillar

Likes Dirt
Honestly mate if it's only being used to build a stationary tray for a ute I wouldn't be too fussed about quality. Maybe if it was a tipper tray that would be loaded full of dirt or something, even then the quality of the steel would be negligible compared to the actual structural design of the tray :)

sam705

Likes Dirt
Cheers pal,
I have no doubts that the tray wont hold up, it's going to be braced with RHS. I was more worried about how the tube would cope getting mandrel bent. I think i'll go with the chinese, worst case scenario it busts and ill be $70-$80 out of pocket in which time will tell.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Quality can be an issue so I suggest you let the supplier know you will be bending the tube and if it splits take it back. I have had good experiences and some shockers too.

dunndog

Eats Squid
I'd buy the Aussie stuff.
+1. Are you talking $10 a length, a meter or what? And are you talking about bending it over square or under square? Usually the difference between locally made and chinese stuff is negligible unless you're talking about properties resistant to things like chemical corrosion etc, a dirty old bit of black tube for a ute tray won't make a shred of difference.. should bend fine. i'd just go with Surdex (I do regularly) because I'd rather pay a bit more and support Aussie rather than buy into the whole Chinese market.

Says the guy that spruiks online bike bit buying and challenges the lbs' to keep up...:loco:

sam705

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys, the tube will be bent under square. The price difference is per length (6.5 meters). I think I got quoted around $14 difference on the 3inch and $7 on the 63mm. It's not a lot really, but the fact I'll need to pay delivery costs to my place which is 15-20 minutes away when the Chinese supplier is literally around the corner and will do free delivery is a determining factor. I'm going to go in tonight and tell them what I'm planning to do with the steel and if they think it will be fine I'll buy it. Any issues I'll take it back as mentioned.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Can you tell the Aussie made stuff dudes the other price, see if they'll match it with delivery?

LJohn

Likes Dirt
I know of a couple of cases of chinese steel being bought then retreated to make sure the heat treatment was carried out correctly.

If it's not a significant difference, buy Aussie. There are a few advantages to buying local that I think outweigh small price differences, including product support and industry support.

sam705

Likes Dirt
Being gas pipe you would think it would be heavily tested before it could go on sale?
I'll get a quote tomorrow on delivery from Surdex and if it's not outrageous I'll go down that path.
Thanks lads!

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
I know of a couple of cases of chinese steel being bought then retreated to make sure the heat treatment was carried out correctly.

If it's not a significant difference, buy Aussie. There are a few advantages to buying local that I think outweigh small price differences, including product support and industry support.
The price of Chinese stuff (not sure about retail) is so much cheaper. It's cheaper to import it, by the container (can you imagine the freight cost???) than to source it locally. A lot of Chinese/Indian steel is absolute rubbish, but for most applications, the OPs inculded, it would be fine.

I've had some S1214 from China, which is just a bog standard grade of mild steel, that was as hard to machine as 4140

sam705

Likes Dirt
I ended up going with the Chinese steel. Much easier in regards to location/delivery from a locally run business that's relatively small and a pleasure to deal with. It was delivered for free in the matter of hours, one length had a small dent and was replaced no dramas.