Cheapest way to get a car service book stamped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Anyone else pick up on this?

He wants his warranty/service book update stamp on a new $20k Clit - by a qualified mechanic.

And considers their ethics to be worth just a "six pack" of beer. A six pack...

It is shown from your weird ideas in so many varied topics - that you have a lot of growing up to do, in the real world.
I would say the observed ethics of several mechanics I've met over the years to be perhaps a little overpriced at one six pack of beer...

But I'd be happy to meet a mechanic who understands that the Clio is in fact very well serviced and hence there would be no ethical issue.

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
I think with no receipts for parts you will be struggling tbh. How are you going to prove its been serviced?

Surely that is also going to hit the resale value pretty hard. When you come to sell it there is gong to be no proof it has been serviced at all.

Even if a car had stamps in the book, I would want to see the invoice that went with it, and if it was done by the owner that's fine but I would definitely want to see receipts.

A lot of car manufactures now have an online service book so you can check easily whats been done within the official dealer network.

Saying you pay cash and have no receipts for the filters sounds dodgy aswell

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Its not 20K - its a 14K Clio ;)

And you're missing the point - it is getting serviced properly. Plent of mechanics will take a slab of beer to write out a dodgy roadworthy, surely one will stamp a book...

Its not as if I'm actually skipping services!
I think the point is you're trying to be dodgy, and appear to have no shame in doing so.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
It's a 14K Clio, I think you either need to say fk it to warranty or just get the logbook service done.

Haakon

I think the point is you're trying to be dodgy, and appear to have no shame in doing so.
The warranty at its core demands the car is serviced - and it is being serviced.

In my view dodgy is not giving the oil a good amount of time to properly drain, and using rattle guns on drain plugs and not cleaning the sump off and leaving undertray bolts loose etc etc. This is what happens when its done by "qualified" mechanics.

Should there be an engine issue, it will not be for lack of care.

So no, I have no shame in seeking the peace of mind in knowing its been done well.

Haakon

It's a 14K Clio, I think you either need to say fk it to warranty or just get the logbook service done.
Given any warranty claim is going to involve the dealer screwing around with it, I could argue it doesnt really have a warranty thats likely to result in a proper repair anyway...

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
So the car is being serviced adequately to satisfy a warranty procedure but there are no invoices or stamps in the service book or records from the dodgy mechanics you pay with beer?

Attachments

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Unsure about other states, but in VIC anyone can call themselves a mechanic, obtain appropriate insurances and trade.

My office sits between heaps of mechanics. I'm quite friendly with the ones immediately next to us, legit, tafe qualified mechanics with VACC membership.

The mechanic across the road is unqualified but seems to prosper just as well.

One a few factories down, the cops seem to visit weekly when brawls spew out into the street.

BK's own stamp idea is valid. Very few people look at stamps in the service book let alone ask for copies of receipts when buying second hand cars from my experience, from VK commodores to late model Mercs.

My wife had fun giving car dealers curry when she was looking for a second hand accord euro. One particular dealer was pestering her, she kept saying "it missed an oil change by 20k km, I'll give you 12k if you provide a 2 year unlimited warranty". Seems even dealers don't pay attention.

Haakon

So the car is being serviced adequately to satisfy a warranty procedure but there are no invoices or stamps in the service book or records from the dodgy mechanics you pay with beer?
Do try to keep up... It is getting the service required to keep the vehicle in good mechanical health, it is merely missing the paperwork.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The warranty at its core demands the car is serviced - and it is being serviced.

In my view dodgy is not giving the oil a good amount of time to properly drain, and using rattle guns on drain plugs and not cleaning the sump off and leaving undertray bolts loose etc etc. This is what happens when its done by "qualified" mechanics.

Should there be an engine issue, it will not be for lack of care.

So no, I have no shame in seeking the peace of mind in knowing its been done well.
Sounds like you need to find a decent mechanic, they're out there!

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I think it would be pretty hard to get a mechanic who doesn't know you very well to stamp a book like that?

But then again, the dark corners of Mitchell and Fyshwick constantly yield surprises.

scblack

Leucocholic
But I'd be happy to meet a mechanic who understands that the Clio is in fact very well serviced and hence there would be no ethical issue.
You just cannot understand can you?

Do you HONESTLY not see an issue with anyone stamping a document to verify their work, they did NOT do? Really?

Haakon

You are maintains the care to the best of your unqualified skills, yeah?
Yep. Its better work than I'd get in most workshops. I rate my 30 years experience in restoring and maintaining cars over some 1st year apprectice at the dealer.

Haakon

You just cannot understand can you?

Do you HONESTLY not see an issue with anyone stamping a document to verify their work, they did NOT do? Really?
If they dont care, and I know the car is well maintained - nope.

You seem to be under the misapprehension that all mechanics are ethical...

redbruce

Eats Squid
But I'd be happy to meet a mechanic who......... 'understands the Clio'.
Fixed it for you

Do Alpine Motors in Canberra still exist?

Have mates speak highly of them in past (they are now back in Melb, hence no recent knowledge of business) for their prized french cars services.

Last edited:

Haakon

Do Alpine Motors in Canberra still exist?

Have mates speak highly of them in past (they are now back in Melb, hence no recent knowledge of business) for their french cars services.
I rang them once to ask a question about the Citroen Xsara I had at the time - he told me my car doesnt exist and I must be confused. He got really aggressive when I tried to assure him it was a thing - I found the experience very strange, but also enough to assure me he was a bit of a tool...

The car was a late series 2 Xsara that had the multiplex electrical system with a Bsi module (I was seeking some advice on configurations using my laptop that I had the interface for) - he tried to tell me no Xsaras were built with multiplex... To be sure not many were imported and the majority of Xsaras were the series 1 with conventioan electrical systems, but multiplexed Xsaras certainly existed.

It was a good example of the common attitude I've encountered in mechanics - they're "the expert" therefore their opinion is going to be better than mine. Its weird...

void

Likes Bikes
I rang them once to ask a question about the Citroen Xsara I had at the time - he told me my car doesnt exist and I must be confused. He got really aggressive when I tried to assure him it was a thing - I found the experience very strange, but also enough to assure me he was a bit of a tool...

The car was a late series 2 Xsara that had the multiplex electrical system with a Bsi module (I was seeking some advice on configurations using my laptop that I had the interface for) - he tried to tell me no Xsaras were built with multiplex... To be sure not many were imported and the majority of Xsaras were the series 1 with conventioan electrical systems, but multiplexed Xsaras certainly existed.

It was a good example of the common attitude I've encountered in mechanics - they're "the expert" therefore their opinion is going to be better than mine. Its weird...
Let me guess - Your French?

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This. Part of the expense of receiving a warranty is to pay for servicing. You don't need to go to a dealer, but you need to pay a licensed person to carry out the service. Non dealership mechanics will probably be able to charge you less because the service they carry out doesn't come with a flashy showroom, fancy coffee, a loan car and several 'service consultants'.

I let a warranty go on one of our cars when the dealer dropped a 4cyl oil filter on a V6 engine and the oil leaked out everywhere, another I didn't see the need to drive for 2hrs for a half arsed 'free warranty' when it was also under manufacturers warranty. For other cars I've sucked up the service as an ownership cost and maintained the warranty just in case.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.