Chainring bolt stuck

davee

Likes Bikes
Want to try out an oval ring was able to pick one up cheap. Took the crankset off to swap out, managed to easily get 3 of the bolts out with the chainring bolt spanner.
However the last one will not budge at all the chainring spanner just seems to slip off.

Looking for some tips/tricks/ideas on how I can get the last bolt out.
Non destructive would be preferred. But will get the drill out of that is the only option.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Want to try out an oval ring was able to pick one up cheap. Took the crankset off to swap out, managed to easily get 3 of the bolts out with the chainring bolt spanner.
However the last one will not budge at all the chainring spanner just seems to slip off.

Looking for some tips/tricks/ideas on how I can get the last bolt out.
Non destructive would be preferred. But will get the drill out of that is the only option.
do you have a hex bit that is .5mm bigger? that sometimes works

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
if in doubt drill it out

i presume you’ve tried some type of spray to loosen, try freezing or heating? those shimano chainring bolts really are a PITA, sram dmr mount is much better to quickly change rings

creaky

XMAS Plumper
No one suggested oven, freezer or oxy torch yet?

Soak it in some kind of thin/penetrating oil for a few hours then big flat head screwdriver to hold the back until you round the hex/torch out. Then drill, then hammer and chisel.