Chain guide jockey alternatives?

moorey

call me Mia
The chain guide on the ENR eats the 9t MRP jockeys like they’re cashews. 2 in the last few months. It’s of course possible it’s a coincidence, both were pre-loved, though in good condition.

Little farkers are fairly expensive, and hard to find locally ATM, so I banged in an 11t derailleur tension jockey to try.
Doesn’t have roller bearings like the MRP’s, but I figure they last years on a derailleur so I can’t see any issues.

Is my bike going to catch on fire?

Cleverly

Likes Bikes
Does the ENR need to route it through a lower guide jockey? The Norco Range seems to get along just fine with only 90° of chain/chainring engagement. Could avoid the hassle altogether.

moorey

call me Mia
Depends on how much adjustability there is, the bigger sprockets may foul on other bits.
Plenty of room. The guide was for up to 36t, with plenty of adjustment. It seems to be running perfectly, so just checking there’s nothing obvious I’m missing as to why it won’t work.
I would have blamed the tension it was originally running, but have reduced that, and still chewed it out.
Never killed one in years on DH bikes, though I wasn’t pedalling them much. Nor sure if the big cassettes change the equation. I’m only running 42t, most run 50t, so FIIK.

moorey

call me Mia
Does the ENR need to route it through a lower guide jockey? The Norco Range seems to get along just fine with only 90° of chain/chainring engagement. Could avoid the hassle altogether.
The ENR is a different beast. Massive chain growth. As the suspension compresses, the guide drops and allows chain growth. Can’t operate without it.

Update: 2 evenings of DH runs, and it’s working perfectly. Slightly noisier than the softer compound original ones, but it already makes similar noise on the idler, so not fussed. If cheap original ones pop up, winning.

Last edited: