Car paint Clear coat Flaking??

chris95

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,

I recently bought myself a 1997 3.0D Sr5 Hilux for a steal, it runs amazing and is mechanically awesome, but I can't really say the same for the paint. The bonnet and roof have a faded look and the clear coat on the bonnet is obviously flaking. The rest of the car is fine so im assuming its just deterioration from the sun ect.

So my question to you guys is there anything I can do to the paint to fix it or make it look better than it currently does without getting a respray(No funds atm)

Here is an example picture of what it looks like:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=232688&stc=1&d=1211417495

Cheers Chris

moto_guy

Banned
You could use some cutting compound on the edges of where its flaking to try and stop it going further. Then wax the parts without clear coat to protect the paint and give it a little bit of gloss so it doesn't look so shit.

markusm

Likes Bikes
You could use some cutting compound on the edges of where its flaking to try and stop it going further. Then wax the parts without clear coat to protect the paint and give it a little bit of gloss so it doesn't look so shit.
That will do nothing but make it worse. The only answer is to repaint the affected areas. It must have been painted previously as factory paint shouldnt deteriorate like that.

moto_guy

Banned
That will do nothing but make it worse. The only answer is to repaint the affected areas. It must have been painted previously as factory paint shouldnt deteriorate like that.
You sir are full of shit.
1. I did the same thing to my car and stopped it from getting any worse.
2. Factory paint does deteriorate like that all the time! If you think every car with peeling clearcoat has been repainted you gotta stop sniffing paint.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
TIt must have been painted previously as factory paint shouldnt deteriorate like that.
Neglected paint can and does.

I agree that ideally you'd respray but that wasn't the answer the OP was seeking;

"So my question to you guys is there anything I can do to the paint to fix it or make it look better than it currently does without getting a respray"

Oliver.

Liquid Productions
^This.

You'll probably get the best look by first applying a synthetic wax, and then applying a natural carnauba wax over the top. Synthetic for the protection, natural for the shine

Registered Nutcase

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have this issue on my gf car and spoke to a panel beater/ spray painter. He said what you can do is rub the blister untill there is no white/ flaking then smoothing it into the paint(using something like a scotch bright pad NOT sandpaper) and then you can patch spray that area(although he did recommend spraying the whole panel for consistancy).

He also said depending on how it looks you can rub it back lightly with the scotch bright again and then a good cut and polish.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi Chris, Basically it's f@#$ked.

Cars painted in metallic colours have a clear coat to protect the metallic fleck. This is usually referred to as a Clear over Base system. The Base coat needs the clear seal otherwise it will deteriorate almost immediately it is exposed to sunlight and UV.

That's why it is usually always the surfaces that are horizontal (bonnet, roof, boot) that die first. It doesn't matter what you do with it, it is going to look just as shit. Once the clear is gone, it's gone.

If it was me, I would take it off and sand it back and give it a rattle can job. Undercoat grey will be easier than a colour, and will give you some cred at the next bogan meet and greet :pirate:

Actually, if it was me I would get some 2 pack and do it properly. Get a mate with a spray gun and compressor and it would cost about $100 to get it done

4dabush

Likes Dirt
As others have said, that level of failure is past saving. If you want to keep it sort of the same colour, get a good large sanding block, lots of water and say some 800 grit wet and dry and block the WHOLE area (ie - WHOLE bonnet) back until there are no edges you can feel - forget what you can see - use your fingers/hands to feel you have a new and uniform finish. DONT focus on the lifting edges - focus on trying to take the whole clearcoat back down in an even fashion. Be very careful on the edges of the bonnet and any shape/grooves/ridges in the panel...you want to use a large sponge and tonnes of water and watch for colour as you are blocking... unless you REALLY know what you are doing, DO NOT rub without a block or flexible pad over the sandpaper...your fingers will leave 'railroad tracks'. Try NOT to get too much colour, as that is only a few microns thick (ie like one or 2 layers of YOUR skin). watch in the water for colour, like when you cut yourself shaving and you get really washed out blood, you must stop in that area once you see any watery color. Ideally if you are blocking the WHOLE panel in an even manner, you'll get it all flat with very little color in the water. Once that is done, you should wash the whole surface with wax and grease remover, wipe with a tack rag (you buy them both from auto paint suppliers) and spray clear over the lot. You can use pressure can automotive clear. Acrylic Paint might be safest as it dries very quickly and you can apply it over twopack which is proabbly what this car is by is age. dont try to get it too wet (shiney) the first couple of coats...try two even light coats first before trying to get it a bit wetter. You'll need to mask everything up, wipe with wax and grease remover again, and tack rag again...don't stick your mits on it again. Warning...this is NOT designed to look good and it will not. It WILL keep the panel the roughly the same color as the car rather than primer grey/black as suggested by outacontrol...his suggestion is the easiest option though. I really dont think polishing this sort of painting will achive anything, but if you think you got enough clear on, to get rid of the 'tram tracks' you'll inevitabley get, wet and dry 1200, lots of water, VERY GENTLY, might bring the whole panel even. You can then try some original TCut, by hand...(not a colored one, the original orange bottle)...it might give you a dull even sheen.

If you are even contemplating painting the panels in the future DO NOT GO ANYWHERE NEAR THEM WITH WAX/CUTTING COMPOUND. This level of deterioration with wax into it, will require you to take the panels back to bare metal to prevent fish eyes and paint problems next time around.

markusm

Likes Bikes
You sir are full of shit.
1. I did the same thing to my car and stopped it from getting any worse.
2. Factory paint does deteriorate like that all the time! If you think every car with peeling clearcoat has been repainted you gotta stop sniffing paint.
Full of shit?

What do you do for a living?

I spent 4 years at tafe studying this subject (spraypainting). Finished in 2002, since then been managing panel shops, probably quote about 10-15 cars a day for smash repairs, paint problems etc. I think i have the subject covered.

I never said "every" car with flaking paint has been repainted.

To quote yourself, "you sir are", no i won't say it, you don't know anything about me and vice versa, i just gave my opinion, (and an educated one at that).

markusm

Likes Bikes
Neglected paint can and does.

I agree that ideally you'd respray but that wasn't the answer the OP was seeking;

"So my question to you guys is there anything I can do to the paint to fix it or make it look better than it currently does without getting a respray"

Ok, i'll answer in plain english.

No (i could have just answered with a no, but figured i'd add an explanation).

Do you have an answer?

markusm

Likes Bikes
Ok, i'll answer in plain english.

No (i could have just answered with a no, but figured i'd add an explanation).

Do you have an answer?
Where have all the big mouths gone, The people who (tried to) shoot me down in flames?

I was giving my opinion, i never asked for you numb skull, keyboard warriors to give yours, now when your integrity is questioned you go missing.

If i can give one last piece of advice, it's think first (or research first), then speak.

Moto guy, it's pretty dis-respectful to say someone is "full of shit", without (a) knowing them, or (b) knowing anything about the subject yourself.

If you come on here and can justify your comments, or back it up with anything of any substance, ill apologise, if not you can GO AND FUCK YOURSELF!

If my opinion is wrong, i apologise to the person seeking advice, but unlike others, i dont reply to stuff and carry on like a dick if i dont know what im talking about.

Last edited:

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Where have all the big mouths gone, The people who (tried to) shoot me down in flames?

I was giving my opinion, i never asked for you numb skull, keyboard warriors to give yours, now when your integrity is questioned you go missing.

If i can give one last piece of advice, it's think first (or research first), then speak.

Moto guy, it's pretty dis-respectful to say someone is "full of shit", without (a) knowing them, or (b) knowing anything about the subject yourself.

If you come on here and can justify your comments, or back it up with anything of any substance, ill apologise, if not you can GO AND FUCK YOURSELF!

If my opinion is wrong, i apologise to the person seeking advice, but unlike others, i dont reply to stuff and carry on like a dick if i dont know what im talking about.
Could be wrong, but from where I stand your last post comes across pretty Dickish.....

should've quit while you were ahead I reckon.

markusm

Likes Bikes
Could be wrong, but from where I stand your last post comes across pretty Dickish.....

should've quit while you were ahead I reckon.
No, i just dont understand why people come onto a forum, where they can make an outlandish comment, and either run off and hide without backing it up or hiding behind a keyboard.

If someone is going to say im full of shit, i'd hope that they could explain a bit further to justify such a a ridiculous comment without knowing someone.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No, i just dont understand why people come onto a forum, where they can make an outlandish comment, and either run off and hide without backing it up or hiding behind a keyboard.

If someone is going to say im full of shit, i'd hope that they could explain a bit further to justify such a a ridiculous comment without knowing someone.
I agree fully with your comments (both now and originally), but by firing up and getting abusive, you end up no better than them.

I don't see the point of getting worked up by uninformed posters. Most people take their posts for what they are: kids talking rubbish about things they know nothing about.

A wise person once told me it is a fruitless exercise to try and rationalise with irrational people.