Canyon MTB - Real Life Experience

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
***Word heavy..... proceed if you want to hear 1st hand experience of buying a Canyon online ***

After deciding to move from the Yeti SB6c to something different and a little less slack, I eventually decided that a Canyon Spectral was the go on paper.

I had a few bikes in the running, with a budget of $6000 and wanting carbon.
Trek Remedy 9.8 and Fuel EX 9.8 were contenders, along with a YT Jeffsy.
To cut a long story short, the best value for money on paper was the Spectral EX 8.0...

As most will know, Canyon (as well as YT) don't have any distributors or shop fronts in Australia (or any other country except Germany).

First port of call was checking out the Canyon Australia website for species and prices. They have a customer service centre in Melbourne, who oh can either call or chat to on IM.

I had a few questions regarding specs which were all answered by the lads immediately.

After deciding that the Spectral EX8.0 was the one I wanted, a quick 10 minutes on the web and the order was placed on the 21st December.

I also added some options like a spare mech hanger and mudguard. Within a few hours I had a confirmation email from the factory that the order was placed, and within another couple of hours had the value put on hold on they credit card.

The next morning, a call came in from the service guys in Melbourne. They explained the process, how long it would take etc etc.

The bike I ordered was one that was "From stock" on their website, so in theory would be shipped straight away. Due to Xmas and New Years holidays, I was prepared to be waiting until mid January.

The confirmation email I received from the factory stated a shipping date between 9/13th Jan. On December 30th i was surprised to get a shipping confirmation, with tracking details for UPS.

Once the shipping commenced, the money was debited from my credit card.

For those interested, the website price includes all import duties and GST, but not shipping. That an extra $199.

The tracking indicated that the bike would arrive on the 9th of Jan. It actually arrived on the 5th. Can't complaint even though the tracking was inaccurate. Still showed that it was in the depot as old mate was dropping it to the door!

Canyon deliver the bikes in a neat bike box, part assembled and straight forward to take out and finish off the build. They previously build the bike complete and test ride, before it breaking it down and packing it away.

The box has profiled packaging and foam straps that can be reused if you want to travel with your bike at a later date, which is pretty handy.

Once out of the box, the finish appears to be pretty good. It's not Yeti standard finish, but still pretty good.

I did have a small mark on the very bottom of the fork leg, which might bother some, but not me. I did call customer service in Melbourne to let them know, they asked how I'd like to resolve it, but I have no issue with it. They were keen to ensure that I was happy, and were appreciative that I was understanding.

Apart from that, the bike went together great.

The DT Swiss wheels were quoted as tubeless ready, but I was pleasantly surprised that they came with tape installed and valves in a bag in the box. 10mins converted the Maxxis Exo 3c tires to tubeless. Decent rubber from the factory is a nice touch.

Spec at the price point is pretty much unbeatable. Pike RCT3, decent 30mm I'd DR Swiss spline wheels, carbon frame, SRAM Gx 11sp , 125mm reverb, Guide RS, Ergon contact points, etc delivered for $5200.

Paint finish is good, but not perfect. You can see some masking marks around the pivot bearing holes and chain stay protector.

I ordered a baby poo yellow colour way ....which came with hideous bad matching Renthal Fatbar Lites..... which looks ridiculous.

Haven't had the maiden run out on it yet, but a quick pedal around the block verified the geo numbers. Feels quick and responsive, but less roomy than the big rig Enduro SB6. I'm a medium on both bikes at 173cm.

I tried to get some in depth info on the daunting task of ordering online blind. The moral of this story is that the build quality is good, communication with the supplier is excellent and experience of ordering a Canyon has been very positive.

A proper test ride will define the final outcome........

SDA

Likes Dirt
Great to hear it all went well. It looks like we had a very similar short list and the Spectral was at the top of mine for a 27.5". I ended up going for the Fuel Ex as modern 29ers work really well for me. But that doesn't stop me wondering how these Spectral's ride. Look forward to hearing how it rides.

Also are those wheels have a 25mm or 30mm internal rim width? I just had some custom wheels built up with a 30mm internal width and I'm keen to here how the Minion SS goes on a rim that wide.

Last edited:

Beej1

Some points worth adding: if you go to the customer service centre in Melbourne, I'm pretty sure they'll let you have a test ride. Don't know if that means "take it away to the trails" or just a carpark test though. But I've heard they're a great crew.

Also, pretty sure they have a really solid returns system given most people can't access the aforementioned test ride offer.

A friend bought a runout 2016 alloy Spectral for 3800 delivered: same spec as yours by the sound of it. He was as impressed with the process also. It's a great riding bike, nothing like Horst link bikes I've ridden in the past.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Great to hear it all went well. It looks like we had a very similar short list and the Spectral was at the top of mine for a 27.5". I ended up going for the Fuel Ex as modern 29ers work really well for me. But that doesn't stop me wondering how these Spectral's ride. Look forward to hearing how it rides.

Also are those wheels have a 25mm or 30mm internal rim width? I just had some custom wheels built up with a 30mm internal width and I'm keen to here how the Minion SS goes on a rim that wide.
I already have a nice trail 29er, albeit a hardtail. Saying that, it charges everything and anything I ride and love it.

They are confirmed 30mm internal (measured with a vernier when setting up tubeless) so I'll see how they go. Never ride a minion as before so keen to try it out.

DeBloot

Feeling old
good value for money
Renthal fatbars don't match any colour
Don't know why that insipid colour is all they come in

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
good value for money
Yep.... they are horrendous!
I'll pick up some nice carbon 35mm bars once I'm happy with width, rise and sweep.

I've a mate who's a Renthal die hard..... loves the colour. He's also Scottish...so he has bigger problems than his preferred colour palet.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Some points worth adding: if you go to the customer service centre in Melbourne, I'm pretty sure they'll let you have a test ride. Don't know if that means "take it away to the trails" or just a carpark test though. But I've heard they're a great crew.

Also, pretty sure they have a really solid returns system given most people can't access the aforementioned test ride offer.

A friend bought a runout 2016 alloy Spectral for 3800 delivered: same spec as yours by the sound of it. He was as impressed with the process also. It's a great riding bike, nothing like Horst link bikes I've ridden in the past.
Think the 16 model had a cane creek IL and Mavic wheels. Apart from that, they're pretty much unchanged.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

poita

Likes Dirt
good value for money
Pretty sure it's their thing. Every "plain" renthal dirtbike bar I've ever seen is that colour. Why stop now!?

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
That bike has sweeeet lines. Love how it looks.

Thanks for sharing the purchase experience. Would like more photos, including the box stuff

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How do these pedal/ride compared to say, a stumpjumper? What's the f&f like around internal cabling?

moorey

call me Mia
Yep.... they are horrendous!
I'll pick up some nice carbon 35mm bars once I'm happy with width, rise and sweep.

I've a mate who's a Renthal die hard..... loves the colour. He's also Scottish...so he has bigger problems than his preferred colour palet.
Very happy with their colour. Not into the murdered, or colour matching game.

anok

Likes Dirt
Good write up mate. Yep, I have a Strive CF and rang the guy's in Melbourne last week to see if I could grab spare derailer hanger and some other bits through them instead of paying the crazy freight prices through their online shop in Germany. They were great and easy to deal with. The items where in my hands within 2 days and I live in country SA. Cheers and enjoy your Canyon.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
How do these pedal/ride compared to say, a stumpjumper? What's the f&f like around internal cabling?
Got out for a quick pedal today (6km) to try dial in setup.
I can't comment on the comparison to a stumpy, but it's definitely more active with more pedal bob than the Yeti.
That said, it also definately climbs better than the SB6 too, steeper angles surely help.

It's fast.... and smooth, even this I've still to fiddle around more to get it in the sweet spot.

As for the internal routing, I swapped out the GX front shifter for an X01 (for more adjustment and better feel) and fucked off the internal split outer cable for a full outer. Split internal routed cable sucks balls.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Very happy with their colour. Not into the murdered, or colour matching game.
Yeah I thought for a while I'd have to go for the black version, but luckily this colour came back into stick just before I ordered it. Funnily enough it's out of stock again.

Really didn't want another raw/black bike. This will stay stock with the exception of the bars.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

mark22

Likes Dirt
Question

Did the reverb remote come under on the LH or can you sec that? I notice some bikes on their website have over on the LH which I'm not keen on.