Buying bike parts from overseas, shipping time estimates and methods ?

Jpez

Down on the left!
I bought something from the states. Took 3 days from California To Sydney airport. $50 value. Now it is stuck in customs or somewhere for 2 weeks so far and no one knows where it is. Tracking hasn’t moved over to Oz Post and Oz post say I need to wait 25 days then hassle the seller who then has to hassle Oz post who I just hassled so they can hassle customs or however the fuck has it to release it and send it on its merry way. What a fuckin hassle!
I’m used to stuff sitting in Frankfurt for weeks but not experienced something small go into the twighlight zone here.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
I have, plenty of times. One of my faves, a private seller out in the middle of bumfuck USA. Parcel took 40 hours from his PO taking collection to customs in Sydney. Then took over 3 weeks to make its way to my PO Box.

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

wornoutwords

Likes Dirt
Not related to bikes but a customs story - I bought a 70s fender telecaster bass from the US - eventually the tracking changed to show it had been delivered/was at the post office

I didn't have it and the post office swore they didn't have it either...

I lived at number 254, customs had taped their 'opened/inspected by customs' tape over the address label covering the "2" so the address said 54 instead of 254... oops

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Anyone bought items from the UK recently. Mine item has been sitting on someone’s desk since the 5th waiting for departure. Just wondering how long they have been taking?

Jpez

Down on the left!
Anyone bought items from the UK recently. Mine item has been sitting on someone’s desk since the 5th waiting for departure. Just wondering how long they have been taking?
Yeah I did. Buggered if I can remember what it was but I do remember being surprised it came really quickly. It’s just a crap shoot most places. Quickest shipping seems to be out of the States atm.

shiny

Yeah I did. Buggered if I can remember what it was but I do remember being surprised it came really quickly. It’s just a crap shoot most places. Quickest shipping seems to be out of the States atm.
Dang. Only small parts but needed to get the bike going again. Oh well just have to wait.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I ordered pads from Uberbike on the 27th, shipping notice on the 29th, currently somewhere between Melbourne and my PO Box.......

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I ordered pads from Uberbike on the 27th, shipping notice on the 29th, currently somewhere between Melbourne and my PO Box.......
Most shipping out of the UK is fast in my experience, but not Uberbike sadly. Even pre-pandemic theirs was pretty slow. Their pads and black Titanium bolts are great though!

[EDIT] Derp, I can read... :oops: Bit off if that delay is in Aus.

Last edited:

shiny

My tracking just updated to awaiting clearance in Melb. 12 days from UK to Aus. Let’s see how long till it reaches Adelaide. :p

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
My tracking just updated to awaiting clearance in Melb. 12 days from UK to Aus. Let’s see how long till it reaches Adelaide. :p
German packages have been clearing pretty quick lately, usually 3-4 days till it arrives here from the clearance joint.

Usually arrives before you can see the tracking change too... unless you are watching the tracking hourly.

beeb

Usually arrives before you can see the tracking change too... unless you are watching the tracking hourly.
The other extreme is worse. "Delivered" it says. So I go traipsing around to the various different reception/warehouse delivery points around work. Get a confused look from all the people that usually call, e-mail, or drop-off stuff straight to me. Start to get that "Uh-oh" feeling... Package gets delivered 2 hours later. Phew!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
The other extreme is worse. "Delivered" it says. So I go traipsing around to the various different reception/warehouse delivery points around work. Get a confused look from all the people that usually call, e-mail, or drop-off stuff straight to me. Start to get that "Uh-oh" feeling... Package gets delivered 2 hours later. Phew!
I have had that. I suspect the postie scans them as he loads the packages into the van so he doesn't have to stop when he throws them in the gutter or on the driveway.

shiny

German packages have been clearing pretty quick lately, usually 3-4 days till it arrives here from the clearance joint.

Unemployed. I wouldn’t be refreshing regularly. No not at all. I am busy writing cover letters :p

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Unemployed. I wouldn’t be refreshing regularly. No not at all. I am busy writing cover letters :p
You needed this critical part to get your bike going and sounds like you have free'd up an addition 40 hrs a week to ride ;)

Hope you get some work soon.

beeb

Sure sure, makes sense

(Internal monologue)
Go on just have a quick check. Nope. Hmm... Ah well, I'll check again later. Maybe now? Hmmm... Still nope. Dammit. Maybe I'll just check again before I get stuck into this properly. Dang. Okay, one last check... #Bloodyfuggingposties. Dammit - I'm gonna check again! And I'm going to keep checking until it arrives! Maybe they'll get the idea it's urgent if they see I've refreshed the page 1,276 times! Wait what if they forgot to mark it delivered? Feck! IT MIGHT BE HERE ALREADY! IT COULD BE ON THE DOORSTEP RIGHT NOW!!! DAMMIT IT'S NOT HERE! WHERE ARE YOU, FUGGIN IDIOT POSTIE? WHERE'S MY BIKE PARTS!?!?! I NEED THEM!

(Postie arrives)

"Oh... what are the chances! Cheers mate!"

:p

(PS: Good luck with the job hunt)

shiny

You needed this critical part to get your bike going and sounds like you have free'd up an addition 40 hrs a week to ride ;)

Hope you get some work soon.
Cheers, the joys of owning one bike, when it breaks I can’t ride!

Sure sure, makes sense

(Internal monologue)
Go on just have a quick check. Nope. Hmm... Ah well, I'll check again later. Maybe now? Hmmm... Still nope. Dammit. Maybe I'll just check again before I get stuck into this properly. Dang. Okay, one last check... #Bloodyfuggingposties. Dammit - I'm gonna check again! And I'm going to keep checking until it arrives! Maybe they'll get the idea it's urgent if they see I've refreshed the page 1,276 times! Wait what if they forgot to mark it delivered? Feck! IT MIGHT BE HERE ALREADY! IT COULD BE ON THE DOORSTEP RIGHT NOW!!! DAMMIT IT'S NOT HERE! WHERE ARE YOU, FUGGIN IDIOT POSTIE? WHERE'S MY BIKE PARTS!?!?! I NEED THEM!

(Postie arrives)

"Oh... what are the chances! Cheers mate!"

:p

(PS: Good luck with the job hunt)
Are you watching me? I swear I only checked the letter box twice today. ;)