Buying a car

Adi

It's my birthday!
Hey all,

I am about this close |----| (not to scale) to getting my P plates and lately I have been looking at some cars to buy. I have around 4000 dollars to spend - so the car will be second hand. I will probably buy it from a dealer.

So far I have been looking at the Suzuki Sierra, 1989 model, hardtop, manual... basically a small 4 wheel drive. Any opinions on the Sierra?

I got no idea what sort of other cars are in my pricerange. So if anyone can help me out that'd be much appreciated.

I want a car that won't cost too much to maintain and one that has a smaller engine size so I don't have to fork out a lot of money on petrol. I basically just want it to get me around the place and to the downhill tracks around. Also cheap replacement parts would be good if something ever does break. The Suzuki Sierra seems ok, I still have to take it for a test drive and see how that goes.

I am largely car illiterate and only know one thing, and that is, that Fords are better than Holdens, ;).

Thanks in advance!

Scully

Likes Dirt
Hell yes you got the Ford better than Holden thing right.

Im in the same boat as you, I can go for my P's tomorrow and am looking for cars as well.

Also look at a 92-94 model suzuki swift. They are alright parts wise and fuel wise and should be in your budget. They are exactly the same as the Holden Barina of that time as well so either of them are fine. Buying from a dealer is probably a wise idea with cars that are as old as your looking at. If you see any decent corollas around they would do as well. They have been one of the best cars in their range ever since they were first produced.

There are a few others out their that should suit you but it all depends on its condition and many other things. If you do end up buying from a dealer you should be able to negociate with them on the price, or if they are firm on the price try things like asking for it with a full tank of fuel and so on.

Good luck mate let us know what you do end up getting.

stinky|dan

Likes Dirt
Adin!

nice to see i made it into your sig.

My first car was a Mitusbishi Pajero short wheel base. Bigger than the Sierra but it was still a four cylinder. fun to drive and i wish i never got rid of it. Pretty cheap to fix and pretty much bullet proof in my eyes(i abused it big time). Mine was a 1984 model and i sold it for about $5000 at least 6 years ago so you'd probably find one in your price range. It'll have high km's but you might be lucky like me and find one which had a recently reconditioned engine.

Great first car. Good luck in the hunt.

Dan

Adi

It's my birthday!
Thanks for your input guys, :)!

The Sierra I am looking at also had high kilometres but it too got it's engine reconditioned. I think it's sitting on 30,000km at the moment. It was selling for $4500, but the dealer said he'd sell it for $4000, which seems like an ok price.

Bonnet

Likes Dirt
hey buddy!

you know what im going to say....MINI

its fits all of the above, but on a more serious note. i was looking at selling my MINI to get a sierra, or a feroza (pretty much the same but daihatsu). in the end i decided to buy the short wheel base pajero, like the one Dan had. well i was gonna get it, until i decided i would rather go to Bali for 10 days then get a car. that decsion was ENTIRELY worth it, on a side note, if you get the cance, go to bali, i had the best time of my life there.

anyway, the pajero (older version, SWB) are great cars, they may not be fast, but they get you there, plus me and my mate were jumping his off a speed bump at riverton forum :D still strong as. oh yeh, we hucked it to flat as well off a 1/2 meter loading dock. man i am soooo young and stupid!

notb4dinner

Likes Dirt
I drive a Sierra and they are great fun.
$4000 should get you a nice Sierra (although you'll probably have to choose between a modded one in average condition or a stocker in good condition), when I was shopping around private prices seemed to be much better than dealer prices.
Don't expect to get particularly good mileage, a small hatchback is going to be significantly better in that regard.
Checkout the Outerlimits (particularly the buying advice thread) and Suzishop boards for more info than you could ever want.

Scully

Likes Dirt
notb4dinner said:
when I was shopping around private prices seemed to be much better than dealer prices.
They always will be by about 30% because they will most likely be giving some sort of warranty with the car.

SPOON

Likes Dirt
I'd recommend a honda civic, or toyota corolla, or a suzuki swift.
For a first car you should get something small. Not a four wheel drive even if it is a small one. Get a small hatch. Honda civic!!! Nice and light plus it has v-tec, even the 1990 model does.....i think.
Anyway i love my EK9 1998 civic hatch. sufficient power, light, v-TEC and man it REVS! WoO! i love my hondas. :p
Anyhow back to the topic~~
i forgot to ask, are you thinking of tuning/modifying the car at all in any recent stage? Coz old corollas are cheap, i've seen some for $3000, that would leave you $1000 tuning money. Could get you a decent header size and setup plus a nice tip. Or some beta rims and tyres....you might need a little more for rims and tyres.

matty_2004

Likes Bikes and Dirt
mugen833 said:
For a first car you should get something small. Not a four wheel drive even if it is a small one. Get a small hatch. Honda civic!!! Nice and light plus it has v-tec, even the 1990 model does.....i think.
Anyway i love my EK9 1998 civic hatch. sufficient power, light, v-TEC and man it REVS! WoO! i love my hondas. :p
i forgot to ask, are you thinking of tuning/modifying the car at all in any recent stage? Coz old corollas are cheap, i've seen some for $3000, that would leave you $1000 tuning money. Could get you a decent header size and setup plus a nice tip. Or some beta rims and tyres....you might need a little more for rims and tyres.

G

Buy a corolla and ill kill you or a civic, wait.. scratch that. Buy anything that cant fit my bike in and I'll kill you ;) oh and our ramp :lol:

spuddy

Likes Dirt
1. You're wrong about Ford vs Holden.
2. Dont get a reallllly old Corolla, my flatmate has one and yeah :? :?
2a. VTEC civics are cool.
3. Something you can get bikes into or onto without using a rack maybe? A panel van / kombi :lol: / ute? All depends, many friends vs bikes..... Hey, you can get your missus and a bike into a ute, what more do you need?
I wouldnt mind a Brumby ute but $$$+, maybe a Datto! 8)

SPOON

Likes Dirt
Oh yea btw, just thought i'd add. Try and stay away from any korean car companies (no offense to any koreans here) like hyundai or KIA or daewoo coz korean cars just reli are not too gd in terms of performance and reliability. Japanese cars are the way to go.

About that holden v.s. ford thing, i'm not much of a fan of aussie cars. I'd actually have to say that i think holden are a bit beta than ford , but i hate holden personally so i'll go w/ ford. :)

matty_2004

Likes Bikes and Dirt
spuddy said:
1. You're wrong about Ford vs Holden.
2. Dont get a reallllly old Corolla, my flatmate has one and yeah :? :?
2a. VTEC civics are cool.
3. Something you can get bikes into or onto without using a rack maybe? A panel van / kombi :lol: / ute? All depends, many friends vs bikes..... Hey, you can get your missus and a bike into a ute, what more do you need?
I wouldnt mind a Brumby ute but $$$+, maybe a Datto! 8)
Right on.

SPOON

Likes Dirt
matty_2004 said:
mugen833 said:
changing the headers and size will give u more power and beta rims.....obviously they are beta than the standard steel wheels with hub caps! alloy rims are much lighter, which = beta cornering
I wasn't referring to chrome or huge wheels. 17" metallic grey are nice 8)

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
id reccomend a fiat bambino but i know what your answer will be so any fords good!........
id suggest putting whatever you get on gas, halves the price of running costs once its done....
good luck finding a car, just make sure it can drive down to rocky without breaking then its all good :p

danv

Likes Dirt
Why exaclty are you after a 4wd?

Complete waste unless it is nice an spacious and that's what you want. (or of course you actually plan to do 4wdriving)

I'd reccomend a ~2litre station wagon. Easy. If you aren't too concerned about performance then they are awesome. Something like a Camry or even a Subaru 4wd if you want to some offroading. If you want to do some towing then you will need some decent power.

I was looking at either a basic station wagon or a Ute, but since riding in some friends' cars, i'm starting to crave a bit of perfomance action :shock:

Checkout some internet car ad sites - you can troll through them, looking at the pics, prices etc. and see what options you might have.

As far as reliability goes, 4wd will require more chassis maintenance probably.

A normal engine will peform fine for about 300 to about 350 thousand Ks depending on a few factors (I'm no expert however, that's just what I've concluded after a bit of experience). A reco engine is moslty as good as a new one.

SPOON

Likes Dirt
matty_2004 said:
spuddy said:
mugen833 said:
plus a nice tip
This is rice :) 4" yeah? Siik! Had a car in at work today with dual 3"s :roll: :roll:
Fully. . .You're still forgetting the subs, neons and blow off valve - this shit makes it go faster too eh?
Yea ok perhaps mentioning the tip makes it a alittle rice. But yea the sound is nice, and na not 4" tip. 3" does fine, dont like it too loud.

matty_2004

Likes Bikes and Dirt
mugen833 said:
matty_2004 said:
spuddy said:
mugen833 said:
plus a nice tip
This is rice :) 4" yeah? Siik! Had a car in at work today with dual 3"s :roll: :roll:
Fully. . .You're still forgetting the subs, neons and blow off valve - this shit makes it go faster too eh?
Yea ok perhaps mentioning the tip makes it a alittle rice. But yea the sound is nice, and na not 4" tip. 3" does fine, dont like it too loud.

Back on topic - i'd get a commodore wagon or a subaru outback wagon.